NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Short term TF trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 449 posts (941 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 36 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Victory Trader with 26 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cmmichaels with 21 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SteveH with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Traderwolf with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 140,986 views
    2. thumb_up 1,209 thanks given
    3. group 90 followers
    1. forum 797 posts
    2. attach_file 283 attachments

Search this Thread

Short term TF trading

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Boomer34 View Post
IT7...quick question for ya.

Do you plan to turn on your charts at the same time each morning to start trading? How much flexibility do you have in this?

Basically wondering if you trade pre-market action or maybe if you like to wait for a certain number of bars to print before engaging...

Thanks again for the journal!

Honestly, I don't have a preference at this moment. I'm in central time zone, sometimes I'm looking at charts by 6:30AM, sometimes I'm not up and watching until 8:00.

If I had to say a routine, it seems like as of late I'm watching charts by 7:30 and will take 1 or 2 trades before 8:30 then fire away at will after that open volatility settles down after a few minutes.

With as short of timeframes as I trade, there's ample opportunity anytime before lunch, and sometimes all day. I have a very intense focus... like... really intense... rarely do I not have full concentration on the charts, rarely do I get up from my chair to go to the bathroom or eat, etc. I have a great girlfriend, and a lot of times she cooks some breakfast and comes and eats with me at my desk. I multitask a bit the past few months to stay active on futures.io (formerly BMT), but I find it only makes my focus stronger since it's absolutely necessary to do that.

I think I'm rambling now, but for a concise, and possibly disappointing answer, no I don't have any set plan for times that I trade. Just fire up and go when I'm ready!

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

stok
Dallas

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 3

Great log. IT7, it looks like you mainly trade the first 1-3 hours in the morning? That correct?

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

stok View Post
Great log. IT7, it looks like you mainly trade the first 1-3 hours in the morning? That correct?

That is correct. When I go back and look at charts, I sometimes think the movement looks nice and smooth later in the day, so I certainly wouldn't mind trading then. I guess I prefer to have laser focus for a few hours, and be done with it. If I'm not profitable in the first few hours, some days I stick around and keep grinding.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Only traded for an hour this AM. Decent trading (could have let them run more). Two trades +25 ticks:

Continually surprised by the results of focusing on minimizing my drawdowns.

aligator 
Las Vegas, NV
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Abacus, Slide Rule, HP-65
Trading: Futures, Stocks, Options
Thanks Given: 1,071
Thanks Received: 5,994

josh View Post
I like you more and more IT7; I did not realize we have so much in common. What you say here is heresy to many in the masses, but sweet music to my ears. Many are threatened by the "F" word (feel) and the "S" word (subjectivity), because they would prefer to turn their brains and humanity off, and let a computer or a static list of rules tell them what to do.

@josh, @indextrader7,

Totally agree. My father was a successful grain trader and all he carried was a small ledger in his pocket and an abacus on his desk, it was only "F" and "S'.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 imPairsonator 
Thessaloniki, Greece

Experience: Beginner
Platform: QTS
Broker: IB
Trading: Equities, NQ
Thanks Given: 104
Thanks Received: 395

Quoting 
Continually surprised by the results of focusing on minimizing my drawdowns.

Would you mind elaborating on this point a bit? What have you changed? Better stops, only taking higher higher probability setups, or something completely different?

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
stok
Dallas

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 3

imPairsonator View Post
Would you mind elaborating on this point a bit? What have you changed? Better stops, only taking higher higher probability setups, or something completely different?

I think he quit averaging down in losing positions.

Thanked by:
 imPairsonator 
Thessaloniki, Greece

Experience: Beginner
Platform: QTS
Broker: IB
Trading: Equities, NQ
Thanks Given: 104
Thanks Received: 395

stok View Post
I think he quit averaging down in losing positions.

Wow, didn't think there would be such a gigantic difference only from no more averaging down. Very impressive.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Took half off at +13, hoping for the 2nd half to run run run.

Last Updated on June 9, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts