NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Short term TF trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 449 posts (941 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 36 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Victory Trader with 26 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cmmichaels with 21 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SteveH with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Traderwolf with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 140,711 views
    2. thumb_up 1,209 thanks given
    3. group 90 followers
    1. forum 797 posts
    2. attach_file 283 attachments

Search this Thread

Short term TF trading

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Could have had a much bigger day had I let a few trades run farther. It's always a balance though. Today I was clearly managing trades very very tightly, so the trade off is that I only ran half a position or none on some potential bigger winners. Ok by me though. Posted the average ticks per contract p/l beside each entry.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

I have come to the realization that I've been letting stats get in the way of my trading a bit. Odd, seeing as how keeping them is supposed to help your trading.

The problem is mainly based on my psychological view on my win:loss ratio. In the past, I would purposely not take small gains on trades, and place the stop at BE or for a small loss. I thought this was helpful in that I was giving the trade a chance to be a winner, while protecting against losses. The problem is that often times I knew that the trade was no longer a good one, but simply hoped it would make a miracle turn in my favor. 95% of the time the stop would just be hit, when I COULD have taken 2,3 or sometimes 5 or 6 ticks of profits.

Stats are important, but you must be self aware of how they may be affecting your decision making during trades. For me, I think I need to get back to focusing on making ticks and not losing ticks. Then I can MONITOR my stats to see if changes need to be made in my trading. Not monitor my trading to try to influence my stats. Strange how things work sometimes.

Just thought I'd share here.

SteveH
Orlando, Florida, USA

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 104

50% winning pct -> 1.8 to 2.0 max expectation of avg win/loss ratio

70% winning pct -> 1.0 to 1.2

80% winning pct -> 0.5 to 0.8

This is what one can expect as the Law of Large Numbers takes effect on a consistently applied trading approach with a positive expectancy.

Thanked by:
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Pretty solid today. I've been much more rigid in my trade selection as of late. This is mostly a good thing, but it does pose some problems. For example, I was hesitant to pull the trigger on two great setups today, and thus had to watch them go by once the R:R was bad. I am continually searching for the optimal blend of (A) discretionary trading that allows my subconscious mind to do most of the work and have a freedom of expression, if you will, in my trading; and (B) providing a framework of "rules" and such to prevent errors and keep tight control on risk management.

The recent focus on controlling: risk per trade limits, consecutive losses leading to a timeout, daily loss limits, weekly loss limits, monthly loss limits, maximum contracts (position limits) allowable per 100k, limiting the number of trades per day, and no adding to a losing position, etc.

These things are good for many reasons, but they also change my state of mind, and I am adjusting to more "professional" trading.

Just some things I'm working though, and thought I would share.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Wow, that was fun to just watch.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Just one of those days. Barely down on the day, practically breakeven day.

1. Breakeven on P1, +10 on P2. (P1 is "part 1")

Nice long entry off support level.

2. -3.5

Idea was wrong, but I was early. Frustration led to standing aside once the real trade showed up.

3. -3

Pretty much a blind short limit entry at the resistance level. Quickly proved wrong. Well managed.

4. P1 +3, P2 +4

Nice pullback to the previous swing high, took what I could get given the choppy action.

5. -10

Was "certain" that the up move had failed and would reverse back into the range. Not so.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

I've got to learn how to trade days like today better. Wide swinging days. I end up looking for pullbacks, for example when we have a large move up.... I'm bullish, so I'm looking to enter long on a pullback. When I get what looks like a pullback, I enter long, and it just keeps going down down down.

Anyone have any wisdom on this?

Beljevina 
Toronto, Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraCharts
Broker: Amp/CQG, IB
Trading: CL, GC, 6E, ES, RTY, EURUSD, GBPJPY, AUDUSD

indextrader7 View Post
I've got to learn how to trade days like today better. Wide swinging days. I end up looking for pullbacks, for example when we have a large move up.... I'm bullish, so I'm looking to enter long on a pullback. When I get what looks like a pullback, I enter long, and it just keeps going down down down.

I'm a big believer in the technical nature of TF moves, as far as fibs of both today's and yesterday's PA are concerned, as well as where large volume is transacted. I'd posted an analysis of yesterday's moves based on that here.

I won't get into uber-detail for today - and did not trade this today - but note the open of today had yesterday's close provide firm resistance and pressure down. There was a small bounce into the PP, but it failed, although the 50% of yesterday's range (the left-of-the-line markings, just before 09:00) provided initial support, and then 61.8% of yesterday held it to the tick. The peak volume dashed line at 844.8 seems to have resistance for now, but hopefully the PP provides support from underneath. Note that we're also at the 50% of today's range here. 23% & 78% are also highly useful, as 'last pit stops' for PA.

Days like today - awaiting Benny QE3 - serve to largely hold a vigil prior to the news, meaning, we range range aimlessly. As long as it is true aimlessness, or, there's a bias to good news, these levels can be helpful IMO.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,775
Thanks Received: 18,222

indextrader7 View Post

Yes -- Fed moves almost always feature very large swings in both directions. In short, look for a wild swing, and usually a reversal almost to the point of the origination of the move, and then it is more safe to enter, only if you have reason to still take the trade of course. Look back over some fed days and rarely is it one way straight out of the gate with continuation--market must test the genuine-ness of the move by retesting deep.

Last Updated on June 9, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts