NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Short term TF trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 449 posts (941 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 36 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Victory Trader with 26 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cmmichaels with 21 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SteveH with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Traderwolf with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 140,103 views
    2. thumb_up 1,209 thanks given
    3. group 90 followers
    1. forum 797 posts
    2. attach_file 283 attachments

Search this Thread

Short term TF trading

kbit 
Aurora, Il USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 3,295
Thanks Received: 3,364

Indextrader, have you considered going to a higher time frame tick chart like 1597 (pretty good one for me) and taking less trades but pay more than the smaller frame stuff.

In addition to that, the higher frames weed out a lot of the noise/garbage. You would have less trades which reduces stress and so forth as well as paying you enough just off 1 or 2 trades...not to mention not having all those fees and comissions to pay......

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

kbit View Post
Indextrader, have you considered going to a higher time frame tick chart like 1597 (pretty good one for me) and taking less trades but pay more than the smaller frame stuff.

In addition to that, the higher frames weed out a lot of the noise/garbage. You would have less trades which reduces stress and so forth as well as paying you enough just off 1 or 2 trades...not to mention not having all those fees and comissions to pay......

You're spot on. If I can't control the over-trading, that's exactly what I'll do... go to a higher timeframe. I've also looked a little bit into the renko charts. They filter out a great deal of noise.

Day's like today happen though as a descretionary trader. I don't lose my confidence. I'll only drastically change things if my results get out of ordinary... drawdowns unlike normal, etc.

As for now my track record for the year is something to be proud of... both P/L and drawdowns.

Have you ever looked at the renko charts?

kbit 
Aurora, Il USA

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 3,295
Thanks Received: 3,364

indextrader7 View Post
You're spot on. If I can't control the over-trading, that's exactly what I'll do... go to a higher timeframe. I've also looked a little bit into the renko charts. They filter out a great deal of noise.

Day's like today happen though as a descretionary trader. I don't lose my confidence. I'll only drastically change things if my results get out of ordinary... drawdowns unlike normal, etc.

As for now my track record for the year is something to be proud of... both P/L and drawdowns.

Have you ever looked at the renko charts?

Yeah, I've looked at renko and they just don't do anything for me but then I only can use conventional ones with Tradestation. Rjays hybrids look pretty good, if I used Ninja I would definitely try those out.

I use ticks and Kase bars which are great ....The ticks are a 2000 and a 1597, I don't use anything smaller than that for TF

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,348

indextrader7 View Post
I had some serious overtrading today.

Ended up loading up on a big trade and getting back to breakeven ($) for the day. Still negative ticks though.

@indextrader7

If this is the worst thing that ever happens to you ... you'll live to be 100 ...

Sometimes a different perspective helps....

I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"
Thanked by:
heiermonster
Buffalo, NY

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 1

I'm new around here so please forgive my ignorance but I was wondering, how are you computing the ticks you report?

I don't understand how you can have negative ticks and positive P/L. Are you only counting ticks gained / lost per trade, not per contract?

Why do you choose to report your stats this way?

Also, what other statistics do you keep for your performance and why do you find these valuable?

Thanked by:
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

heiermonster View Post
I'm new around here so please forgive my ignorance but I was wondering, how are you computing the ticks you report?

I don't understand how you can have negative ticks and positive P/L. Are you only counting ticks gained / lost per trade, not per contract?

Why do you choose to report your stats this way?

Also, what other statistics do you keep for your performance and why do you find these valuable?

Ticks computation:

If I buy 2 contracts at 100.00, sell 1 at 100.10 and the other at 100.00. That is +5 ticks for my calculations. Half the trade made 10 ticks and half the trade made zero ticks. That is 5 ticks on the trade.

For me, it's the most true way to calculate my performance. If, such as in the above example, I could have earned 10 ticks on the trade, but I only earned 10 ticks on HALF my position. That's not earning 10 ticks for THE WHOLE TRADE.

How could I have negative ticks and positive P/L?
Long 1 contract on a trade and I lose -10 ticks and $-100.
Next trade, long 25 contracts and earn +5 ticks and +$125.
Net for the day:
-5 ticks, +$25.

Other stats I keep... please watch my video where I walk through my entire stats sheet. It's on my indextrader7 youtube channel. If you have any questions as to what I cover there, or why I have something, please don't hesitate to ask.

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

indextrader7 View Post
Ticks computation:

If I buy 2 contracts at 100.00, sell 1 at 100.10 and the other at 100.00. That is +5 ticks for my calculations. Half the trade made 10 ticks and half the trade made zero ticks. That is 5 ticks on the trade.

For me, it's the most true way to calculate my performance. If, such as in the above example, I could have earned 10 ticks on the trade, but I only earned 10 ticks on HALF my position. That's not earning 10 ticks for THE WHOLE TRADE.

How could I have negative ticks and positive P/L?
Long 1 contract on a trade and I lose -10 ticks and $-100.
Next trade, long 25 contracts and earn +5 ticks and +$125.
Net for the day:
-5 ticks, +$25.

Other stats I keep... please watch my video where I walk through my entire stats sheet. It's on my indextrader7 youtube channel. If you have any questions as to what I cover there, or why I have something, please don't hesitate to ask.

Glad to see someone else who keeps their own stats. I still do them on spreadsheets which is a step up... I used to do everything with a pencil and paper ... ok, I'm old and decrepit... so sue me

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Internet is down at the moment. Rgghhh.

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

indextrader7 View Post
Internet is down at the moment. Rgghhh.

@indextrader7

It could be worse...

Thanked by:
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

We're back online baby. Kick the tires and light the fires.

Last Updated on June 9, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts