NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Short term TF trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 449 posts (941 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 36 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Victory Trader with 26 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cmmichaels with 21 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SteveH with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Traderwolf with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 139,871 views
    2. thumb_up 1,209 thanks given
    3. group 90 followers
    1. forum 797 posts
    2. attach_file 283 attachments

Search this Thread

Short term TF trading

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Hello everyone at futures.io (formerly BMT). What a nice environment this seems to be!

A bit about me. I've been trading for 8 years now. I've gone from stocks, to forex, to currency futures, to index futures and I feel at home with them! I like the rhythym.

I trade on price action (support/resistance and trendlines) and use multiple timeframes to get a good 3D view on the market.

I watch a 50 tick, 250 tick, and 5 min chart as my main short, mid, and long term charts.

I'll post daily recap videos here, and other things I feel like sharing.

I live in AL, and I literally don't know another trader. This forum will be great for me to meet you guys, and open up some communication.

I am a consistently successful trader, but I still make mistakes all the time. I let my losers get too big because my pride or "need to be right" gets in the way, I don't let winners run because I'm afraid of not keeping the small profits I currently have, etc, etc. I do some good things though, and typically have a good "feel" for the flow.

I hope having this journal will help me continue to grow and keep improving. I look forward to sharing what I know, helping, and learning from you.

Here is the last trade recap I did (Thursday of last week):

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
67 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
47 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
43 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
32 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
31 thanks

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Done trading for the day. Really focused on trading short term swings on my lowest timeframe today (50 tick). Took 18 trades in an hour, which is very busy for me. I'm kind of at that point in trading where I have a couple different ways I can trade profitably, and I'm trying to figure out what I enjoy the most, what works best, and what is applicable to different market environments.

Uploading my video recap of all the trades now. Video post to follow.

Hope you guys are doing well today.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Win % = 10/18 = 56%

Avg win = 7 ticks. Avg loss= 4.75 ticks.

Win:loss = 1.5

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,167
Thanks Received: 6,018

I like your simple approach, very straightforward. I follow a similar approach on the Nasdaq, the trick is to accept you'll lose many times but there is always almost a moment when the direction is holding a longer period of time and that's where you make money. How do you manage your trailing stop? Manual or auto ? Thanks for sharing, nice start.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

trendisyourfriend View Post
I like your simple approach, very straightforward. I follow a similar approach on the Nasdaq, the trick is to accept you'll lose many times but there is always almost a moment when the direction is holding a longer period of time and that's where you make money. How do you manage your trailing stop? Manual or auto ? Thanks for sharing, nice start.

Thanks trendisyourfriend,

I manage all entries and stops manually. Usually take partial profits at a previous swing level (if it gets there), and trail the rest until I don't want to be in the trade anymore (price is showing weakness in some way).

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

I'm very analytical, and will continually share stats. I'll probably do a video soon and go over my trading stats sheet. To me, keeping very detailed trade stats is just as important as finding an entry point on the charts. My own brain will lie to me and tell me I'm doing a better job than I am if I don't keep detailed logs and monitor my performance, risk, and susceptibility for making trading errors.

Here's a look at my daily p/l in ticks since I began trading full time in Feb.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daily ticks.gif
Views:	609
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	70952  
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Here's a look at my drawdown chart. The larger my drawdowns, you can be certain, the larger position sizes I'm trading. It's something I'm working on.... that is.... not loading up with too large a position. It's not worth the risk.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	drawdown chart.gif
Views:	631
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	70954  
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

win %

Each point plotted is the average of the last 20 trades taken. It's a rolling 20 trade average, so each trade adds a new plot with the 21st trade dropping out. You guys probably already knew what that was, but I wanted to be clear.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	win percentage.gif
Views:	572
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	70959  
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

win:loss ratio

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	winloss ratio.gif
Views:	595
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	70960  

Last Updated on June 9, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts