NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Short term TF trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 449 posts (941 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 36 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Victory Trader with 26 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cmmichaels with 21 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SteveH with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Traderwolf with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 140,103 views
    2. thumb_up 1,209 thanks given
    3. group 90 followers
    1. forum 797 posts
    2. attach_file 283 attachments

Search this Thread

Short term TF trading

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

I really love trading, and I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting better every day. I'm excited about the challenge of coming out of this drawdown. 91 ticks.... you're mine!

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

toucan94506 View Post
michalmalec... tick charts are started using trades that make up the first tick bar that you see on a chart. When you reload, depending on the software you use, the starting tick bar can use different trades and make all the tick bars after the initial bar look somewhat different.

cheers

toucan

This is true; however, NT starts a new bar at the beginning of each session. The question is, michalmalec, are you seeing the number of bars change significantly? CQG should have tick backfill, so perhaps you should send a screen shot of before and after a reload to support at NT.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

indextrader7 View Post
Thanks for the kind words, but at the moment I feel like I need to read "Idiots guide to daytrading", ... ah I'm just Ill at the moment. No I haven't heard of that book, I'll definitely look into it. Thank you.

Dr. Brett's blog is an awesome free resource with tons of useful info, you would really like it. Google "steenbarger blog" ... golden stuff.

Thanked by:
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

josh View Post
Dr. Brett's blog is an awesome free resource with tons of useful info, you would really like it. Google "steenbarger blog" ... golden stuff.

Ok, so this guy has a lot of books. Which one would you guys familiar with him recommend I start with?

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

indextrader7 View Post
Ok, so this guy has a lot of books. Which one would you guys familiar with him recommend I start with?

I have not read any of his published books -- I'm sure they are worthwhile, but honestly his blog has several years worth of articles with real market examples, concise and to the point, and they will keep you busy for a while.

Thanked by:
toucan94506
danville ca usa

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 41

josh View Post
This is true; however, NT starts a new bar at the beginning of each session. The question is, michalmalec, are you seeing the number of bars change significantly? CQG should have tick backfill, so perhaps you should send a screen shot of before and after a reload to support at NT.

NT may do that, but most trading software gives the user the option of loading a number of days of data or the number of bars into a chart. When using Tick charts, If I start a chart in the morning, the chart will be loaded with the number of days or number of bars that you asked for at the time you initially open the chart. This means the the initial bar will be started at a point in history that you chose and all subsequent tick bars will be based off of this starting initial trade. Tick bars will then be built using the number of ticks you want... for example a 250 tick chart will load 250 trades into each bar.

If later in the day, you open a new chart with the same symbol, or reload the current chart, the software will load the number of days or bars that you requested, only in this instance it will only go back the number of days or number of bars that you asked for ... given that part of the day is already complete, this will cause some history to be lost from the first chart and so the starting bar and initial trade will be different... The two charts will not be exactly the same and will have some differences. Not much but still different.

then again, i have not used NT in a while, so it might always load tick charts from the open....

cheers

toucan

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

indextrader7 View Post

All three are great, but I enjoyed "The Daily Trading Coach" the best.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
eacherlunch
birmingham, al

Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 6

Big Mike View Post
All three are great, but I enjoyed "The Daily Trading Coach" the best.

Mike

+1 That is a good book.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Saw some selling pressure (tails on a few candles) and felt a swing down might be due. Shorted, allowed T1 to be hit at +10 arbitrary ticks, and managed P2 until manually trailed stop hit.

Screenr - indextrader7: 6-14-12 live trade

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

+29 ticks today. Not great trading, but a profitable day is what I needed. Chipping away from my 91 tick drawdown. (Well I extended it a bit before bringing it up, as you can see)

Last Updated on June 9, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts