NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Short term TF trading

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one indextrader7 with 449 posts (941 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 36 posts (46 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Victory Trader with 26 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 cmmichaels with 21 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SteveH with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two indextrader7 with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Traderwolf with 1.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 josh with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 140,103 views
    2. thumb_up 1,209 thanks given
    3. group 90 followers
    1. forum 797 posts
    2. attach_file 283 attachments

Search this Thread

Short term TF trading

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

futuretrader View Post
On a separate note, I have been exploring NT's stats via Excel, and I can't see the logic in NT's MAE/MFE calcs when you are scaling into and out of a trade. Even the reporting by individual contract is inaccurate. So the only way I can see to get these stats accurately is to go back over the bars (I'm thinking of adding a 1-tick range series) and calculate them myself. Have you (or anyone else) also found this, or am I missing something?

You are correct. Here is the reason why you see what you see. Using an example from yesterday, I sold some at 1387. I scaled out half at 1383.50, and scaled back in to the full position at 1382.50. At this point I have banked 3.50, but for the purposes of the ATM strategy I am short now from 1385.50 (1387*2 + 1382.50). Now, based on THIS price (1385.50), it will calculate all the stats. So even though I took literally 1 tick of heat as I hit the bid to sell 1387 and 1387.25 never even went offer again, it calculates that during the duration of the trade, the high price was 1387, so based on the recalculated entry of 1385.50, it thinks I took 6 ticks of heat on my full position. And on top of that, let's say you short 2, scale out 1, and add 1 back. Your max size at any one time is 2, but NT says that you traded 3, so it will say you took heat on 3, when you took none on 2!

This is why I do not export from NT, because these stats are not correct. Also, duration of time in a trade (exit time) is off when scaling as well. I can't imagine why--entry time should be earliest of all trades, exit time should be latest of all trades, but even this is wrong. It only takes about 30 seconds per trade, and if I can't do it during the day I will do if afterward. This way I actually can verify what happened and go over the trade as well.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

josh View Post
You are correct. Here is the reason why you see what you see. Using an example from yesterday, I sold some at 1387. I scaled out half at 1383.50, and scaled back in to the full position at 1382.50. At this point I have banked 3.50, but for the purposes of the ATM strategy I am short now from 1385.50 (1387*2 + 1382.50). Now, based on THIS price (1385.50), it will calculate all the stats. So even though I took literally 1 tick of heat as I hit the bid to sell 1387 and 1387.25 never even went offer again, it calculates that during the duration of the trade, the high price was 1387, so based on the recalculated entry of 1385.50, it thinks I took 6 ticks of heat on my full position. And on top of that, let's say you short 2, scale out 1, and add 1 back. Your max size at any one time is 2, but NT says that you traded 3, so it will say you took heat on 3, when you took none on 2!

This is why I do not export from NT, because these stats are not correct. Also, duration of time in a trade (exit time) is off when scaling as well. I can't imagine why--entry time should be earliest of all trades, exit time should be latest of all trades, but even this is wrong. It only takes about 30 seconds per trade, and if I can't do it during the day I will do if afterward. This way I actually can verify what happened and go over the trade as well.

+1 Have to do MAE and such on my own.

futuretrader 
Como Italy

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, customized
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 643

Thanks Josh, I'd forgotten about NT recalculating the entry price; that explains it. I had noticed (and corrected for) the exit times.

I know entering the numbers doesn't take long, but I prefer to get it set up and just push a button, so I can focus on entering reasons and psychology....

Surly 
denver, colorado

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 628
Thanks Received: 1,263

indextrader7 View Post
If you were going to develop a role for:

- a trading risk manager
- physically in the room with you (has his own computer setup/monitors), but a remote option would be a plus.
- using whatever software/hardware necessary to
- monitor individual trade risk (making sure it didn't exceed thresholds)
- monitor daily loss timeout threshold and daily loss stop trading threshold
- also monitor basic trading rules such as checking logic behind entries and making sure stops aren't widened and positions aren't doubled down.

How would you PHYSICALLY set this arrangement up. Ninjatrader doesn't allow multiple versions of the same account running simultaneously, so the only idea I have would be to run a duplicate image of one of my monitors to a monitor of his, so he can monitor something like open p/l, cumulative p/l, and a chart (which would show position size and stop placement). Screen sharing software is another idea, as well as solves the remote problem.

Any thoughts on this are much welcomed and appreciated.

Might as well reply while I wait for ES to get down to yesterday's low....

Check out Teamviewer software (teamviewer.com) - they have software solutions for the "physical" aspect of what you're trying to do and they are free for personal use.

I think if you can find someone (or pay someone) to do these things for you (position size, stop loss, and daily threshold management) that would be helpful in a lot of ways. I think there is a slippery slope aspect to outsourcing these aspects of personal discipline but the reality is that trading involves the emotions and can trigger unwanted behaviors in us. Thinking for myself - I would view such oversight as a "crutch" that I used while I worked on developing the proper personal discipline on my own over time. In your list the job of "checking logic behind entries" seems very difficult for someone else to do in realtime for your style of trading and (IMHO) would be better done by you during the process of trade review after finishing trading.

Something I'm beginning to work more on is dividing up the various roles of trading (analyst, entry manager, trade manager, risk manager, etc) and assigning goals and tasks to these various roles. In this way I can assign process goals for each role and work on not letting the goals of one role "bleed into" the goals of another role (e.g., not let my "analyst" role start affecting my "risk management" role).

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. - Frank Herbert
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Just a few failed attempts at joining this downtrend so far. A couple limit entries not filled as price fell below.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Ended up getting in on a few shorts after that last post. 2 winners 1 loser.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

I'm off to the beach. May trade in the AM, may not...

Happy trading to all, and to all a good money management system.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Hit the wrong button on my first trade today. Haven't done that in a while. Should be 2 for 2 today, but I'm down 3 ticks.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Decent trading today, up 0.5%. Did not like that I had a losing trade larger than any of my winners; it was still well within risk parameters.... The problem was more on the winning side of the equation. I had two trades that I managed too tightly that I only took 25% and 50% of the swing in profits. On the larger losing trade, CLEARLY my entry wasn't valid after the very next candle.

Overall banked some ticks today though.

indextrader7 
Birmingham, AL

Screenr - indextrader7: 8-9-12 recap

Last Updated on June 9, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts