NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Weekly Option Trader

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Vikings1 with 178 posts (397 thanks)
    2. looks_two Gisfor with 12 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Cloudy with 10 posts (8 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 8 posts (15 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one theoptionguru with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Vikings1 with 2.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Cloudy with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 59,124 views
    2. thumb_up 482 thanks given
    3. group 56 followers
    1. forum 271 posts
    2. attach_file 544 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Weekly Option Trader

Vikings1 
Minneapolis, MN, USA

Experience: Master
Platform: ninjatrader, TOS
Trading: Weekly Options
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 418

Go to Steve he has all the answers...

narenthiranps View Post
Hi Vikings,

I'm a new member to this forum. I'm interested in trading Weekly options and very much impressed with your setup.

Would you mind sharing the exact setup and code information?

I've lost tons of money and really frustrated.

Any help in this regard would be very much appreciated.

Regards.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Vikings1 
Minneapolis, MN, USA

Hi Mike,

I appreciate the effort, but I guess your members are up to speed and SteveH has all the answers. I'll just stick with my little group...

I am going to have to pass on that invite....

Obviously, there is also no need to further post in my journal as it is all BS.............One of your members made 200 ticks today on oil on my BS set-up, but of course a blind monkey could have today!

Oh well....

Mike (Vikings1)

Big Mike View Post
I have asked Mike (@Vikings1) to do a futures.io (formerly BMT) webinar on Options sometime towards the end of July or early August. He has agreed, so I know everyone can look forward to that presentation.

Once a more specific date is set, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

I want to thank @Vikings1 for his thread and his time as a presenter.

Mike

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Vikings1 View Post

Very well.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Something moving
Thanks Given: 2,335
Thanks Received: 2,524

Vikings1 View Post
Hi Mike,

I appreciate the effort, but I guess your members are up to speed and SteveH has all the answers. I'll just stick with my little group...

Obviously, there is also no need to further post in my journal as it is all BS.............One of your members made 200 ticks today on oil on my BS set-up, but of course a blind monkey could have today!

Oh well....

Mike (Vikings1)

I'm interested in knowing how to use options to trade instead of futures. I'm curious how you decide which strike price etc. please reconsider and concentrate on the ones that want to learn and are supportive and not the negative ones.

David

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Vikings1 
Minneapolis, MN, USA

David,

My first question is why options versus futures. Futures have a huge advantage over weeklies. They have no boardrooms or idiots in their company making 9 billion dollar trading mistakes; I wonder what his charts looked like?? LOL

Secondly, weeklies are big boy territory and your set-ups and rules better be very good prior to entering them or you will get your lunch handed to you. What option you buy, or how you buy it is irrelevent, the set-up and your trading rules are.

As for me I look for weekly options that have a delta greater than .35, and God forgive me, I buy simple calls & puts at MARKET. I let my set-ups tell me when to get in and out of a trade, not the spread or option price and yet somehow I make money doing that. Today's charts were impressive...all the weeklies had some great plays not to mention TF & my biggest day ever on oil.

PS: All the other option plays like verticles, condors, and butterflies and such are there for suckers who have no clue where the stock might go and thus they have to buy protection, of course in my opinion.
Mike

David_R View Post
I'm interested in knowing how to use options to trade instead of futures. I'm curious how you decide which strike price etc. please reconsider and concentrate on the ones that want to learn and are supportive and not the negative ones.

David

Thanked by:

David_R 
San Jose, Ca
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Something moving
Thanks Given: 2,335
Thanks Received: 2,524

Vikings1 View Post
David,

My first question is why options versus futures. Futures have a huge advantage over weeklies. They have no boardrooms or idiots in their company making 9 billion dollar trading mistakes; I wonder what his charts looked like?? LOL

Secondly, weeklies are big boy territory and your set-ups and rules better be very good prior to entering them or you will get your lunch handed to you. What option you buy, or how you buy it is irrelevent, the set-up and your trading rules are.

As for me I look for weekly options that have a delta greater than .35, and God forgive me, I buy simple calls & puts at MARKET. I let my set-ups tell me when to get in and out of a trade, not the spread or option price and yet somehow I make money doing that. Today's charts were impressive...all the weeklies had some great plays not to mention TF & my biggest day ever on oil.

PS: All the other option plays like verticles, condors, and butterflies and such are there for suckers who have no clue where the stock might go and thus they have to buy protection, of course in my opinion.
Mike

Mike,

I guess I was making the assumption that options were less risky, or at least minimized the risk by the amount of the option.

Why did you decide on a delta of 35 or greater. I've read where some suggest 70 or greater. All those option plays are way too complicated for me to understand. I thought the virticle spreads made sense because you can still have a bias, but limit the risk. Not true?

When you trade oil or TF are you trying the futures or the option on them?

D

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Vikings1 
Minneapolis, MN, USA

.70 conservative, less volitale, .35 more risk and thus potentially greater reward.

As far as options on Futures, I would just go with the weeklies on SPY, QQQ, IWM, USO. I play the futures straight up, no options.

David_R View Post
Mike,

I guess I was making the assumption that options were less risky, or at least minimized the risk by the amount of the option.

Why did you decide on a delta of 35 or greater. I've read where some suggest 70 or greater. All those option plays are way too complicated for me to understand. I thought the virticle spreads made sense because you can still have a bias, but limit the risk. Not true?

When you trade oil or TF are you trying the futures or the option on them?

D

Thanked by:
Allistah
Bay Area, CA

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 64

I've been selling weekly vertical spreads since March and I usually do about 6-10 of them every week. I do that many to help average things out. I usually have a couple that go south on me but overall I'm profitable so far. I usually sell the ATM strike and aim for $5 spreads between the long and short strike. I like to get $1.40 or more. If it goes sideways on me I'm ok for the most part. I have only a handful of stocks that give decent enough credits though. I don't do this on just any option.

I think there is a trading vehicle for every type of person. I think none of them are right or wrong in general but I do believe that some strategies are wrong for certain people and even horrible for some. Others are excellent for some and horrible for others. Just my opinion of course..

-Alli

Thanked by:

Vikings1 
Minneapolis, MN, USA

Hi Alli,

Very true, there is always more than one way to skin a Cat and what I do works for me and what you do works for you. In the long run, that is all that matters.

Have a great weekend.

V

Allistah View Post
I've been selling weekly vertical spreads since March and I usually do about 6-10 of them every week. I do that many to help average things out. I usually have a couple that go south on me but overall I'm profitable so far. I usually sell the ATM strike and aim for $5 spreads between the long and short strike. I like to get $1.40 or more. If it goes sideways on me I'm ok for the most part. I have only a handful of stocks that give decent enough credits though. I don't do this on just any option.

I think there is a trading vehicle for every type of person. I think none of them are right or wrong in general but I do believe that some strategies are wrong for certain people and even horrible for some. Others are excellent for some and horrible for others. Just my opinion of course..

-Alli

Thanked by:

fminus 
Washington DC

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT
Broker: Dorman
Trading: US Treasuries
Thanks Given: 156
Thanks Received: 299

SteveH View Post
Just to summarize my understanding of how you trade the options, you enter based solely on the signal generated by the stock price chart and pay the full spread to get in and out. That's fine. I just wanted to understand exactly what you do.

To summarize your system, until the past day or so, it used to be 6 rules to enter a trade where 4 out of the 6 were reproducible by anyone of the forum followers here. However, the "A" and "B" studies have remained undisclosed. Now, the 6 have been reduced to 3. Either way, what they have in common is that the entry is 100% mechanical as well as the half-off portion, but, you're confident that the trailing stop part to exit the 2nd half is doable also (I agree).

I think this journal has been a personal enlightenment for you because where there once were 6 entry rules, now there are 3 with the same apparent level of success rate (good job!). It has relieved you of some burden/stress in your trading. To the reader, it has at least served as an example of how sticking with a positive edge works over many trades.

Just to get this out in the open now, we may as well mention the 800 lb. gorilla in the room:

Your system is proprietary. Without full disclosure of your entry rules, neither a beginner, intermediate or even another master trader (such as yourself) can trade what you're successfuly demonstrating day-in and day-out. Thousands of pics can follow this post and it will remain improbable for others to replicate.

All that is fine. It is your system and your call to make. I just wanted to get a "you are here" view of the map and state the obvious in case anyone has missed it.

@SteveH,

Take this with a grain of salt because after all I am just a struggling trader, but it doesn't really matter what the exact settings of his (@Vikings1) methods or indicators are. If you really study his charts and look at what he's doing he's using his indicators in confirming or keeping him out of false moves (stacking the odds in his favor).

For myself I have taken some of his trading concepts (that have been told and retold by countless traders in forums and in seminars) and have implemented a trading strategy in sim and it's starting to come together for me. There are some parts to his system that I don't completely understand but I found that in trying to understand what Vikings1 has been doing, I'm figuring a bit about myself in the process.

No system handed to you on a silver platter with all the indicators and all the settings are going to make you a master trader if you don't know why you're doing what you're doing (from personal experience of going through countless numbers of systems). Discovery is part of the learning process and possibly one of the best ways to learn as it sticks in the mind better than having to take someone else's word that a system/method/indicator works. It is apparent that Vikings1 has mastered his system, he knows what he's doing, and willing to post some screenshots on futures.io (formerly BMT) to shed some insight on how someone makes money in this brutal game.

I would love to see a webinar on trading weekly options and got really excited when BigMike posted that he would be presenting something; only to find my excitement crushed. Please Vikings1 do share on a webinar or at least just show me.

Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on December 18, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts