NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Help me choose my career path while keeping trading too , thanks

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one seawinde with 9 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Lornz with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 NetTecture with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 DavidHP with 2 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one DavidHP with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two billr with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Lornz with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 NetTecture with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,910 views
    2. thumb_up 19 thanks given
    3. group 6 followers
    1. forum 21 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Help me choose my career path while keeping trading too , thanks

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 11,341
Thanks Received: 2,747

seawinde View Post
Energetic Words , but whats ur advice ? what should i do in ur opinion ?

Sorry for the interruption...
Living in the dreams of others will always be unsatisfying.

Telling you what "I would do" is not what You should do.
I have no investment in you or the result of your choice...
But You do.

If the path to being a money manager leads down a winding path, so be it.
Pursue what makes you the happiest.
Just don't settle for mediocre.

I'm closer to the end of life than the beginning.
It is easy for me to look back and see the path I should have taken.
When I look back, the only regrets are when I did not have a vision
that was bigger than I could easily achieve.

Lornz View Post
Hard work can compensate for a lot of things, but it does not guarantee success.

Nothing guarantee's success.
But taking a path too easy guarantee's boredom.
Aim high, dream big, or settle for what everyone else has.

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

seawinde
Cairo , Egypt

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 0

DavidHP View Post
Sorry for the interruption...
Living in the dreams of others will always be unsatisfying.

Telling you what "I would do" is not what You should do.
I have no investment in you or the result of your choice...
But You do.

If the path to being a money manager leads down a winding path, so be it.
Pursue what makes you the happiest.
Just don't settle for mediocre.

I'm closer to the end of life than the beginning.
It is easy for me to look back and see the path I should have taken.
When I look back, the only regrets are when I did not have a vision
that was bigger than I could easily achieve.

Thanks a lot and Bless you

seawinde
Cairo , Egypt

NetTecture View Post
Not worth it. If it would bay 2-3x as much - ok, but "a little more"? And for that you are out of the markets full time. And even in your brokerage you may move a little. At leats you can watch the market there, do some real time stuff, train, are on the pulse.

Sorry, really, a little more is worthless and medium term is worthless too if you do not want to stay there.

I dont want to push it and seems like i want u to justify the move

but i am not watching all the markets at all , only the low liquidity Egyptian market , i cant trade from here at all , as my manager hates that and sneaks around , the levels we have here is only junior and no management , so no hierarchy , either u r a junior or from the top management with all the money , egyptian revolution are keeping the markets down almost all the time .

thanks a lot NecTure , i will always want to hear more

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Experience: Advanced
Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

seawinde View Post
I want to be a private money manager , my returns/risk will be the only thing talking for me. , and yes , i am thinking of doing CFA too later on , but i am taking it step by step here

Yes, no need to rush. Keep in mind that it's more about compliance than it is about charts. I'd advise against taking advice from strangers on the internet, though. I'm quite certain you already know what you really want to do...

DavidHP View Post

The difference between trading and a lot of other endeavors is that one can end up with absolutely nothing. One might aim for the the moon, but instead end up six feet under.

By the way, I'm all for dreaming big. My point was merely that trading should usually be more about obsessing over risk than about delusions of grandeur.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 NetTecture 
Szczecin

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja, writing own now

seawinde View Post
I dont want to push it and seems like i want u to justify the move

but i am not watching all the markets at all , only the low liquidity Egyptian market , i cant trade from here at all , as my manager hates that and sneaks around , the levels we have here is only junior and no management , so no hierarchy , either u r a junior or from the top management with all the money , egyptian revolution are keeping the markets down almost all the time .

thanks a lot NecTure , i will always want to hear more

Well, ok - so COnsider moving within the financial area ?

As in: marketing is out. I am sure there is more than one company in egypt.

Richie Z 
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Platform: NT
Broker: Ninja-Traders Technology
Trading: 6E, ZN, CL
Thanks Given: 115
Thanks Received: 18

seawinde View Post
Energetic Words , but whats ur advice ? what should i do in ur opinion ?

@seawinde, no one can give you advice-though it's good to be able to hash things out with like-minded traders. you know your heart's desire best of all and you're the one who has to live with your decision in the end. perhaps ask yourself if there was only one thing you could do--marketing coordinator or working in the brokerage--what would you want to do--and see what your gut response is. or imagine being told--"seawinde--you must be a marketing coordinator for the next 5 years"--how does your gut respond vs being told you'll be working in the markets for the next 5 years---my gut always keeps me honest and tells me what my real preference is, regardless of what family-friends-other traders tell me to do/want. hope this helps. if you can---choose what you most want--if you have to, choose second-best knowing that you'll do whatever it takes to get back on your chosen track as quickly as possible. best of luck seawinde

Thanked by:
 billr 
San Antonio, Texas USA

Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 35

Sounds like you are young and early in your professional life. now is the time to take some risk and be true to yourself, don't let short term income opportunities distract you from your course. I would agree with a few of the other posts, dont fear dreaming big, make the next step count toward your goal. Maybe the new position could expose you to other opportunities, but if you are passionate about trading/money mgt. I suggest pursuing something more directly related. Put yourself in the game if possible. I have found that if you are true to yourself and pursue your passion, you will be more confident, happier and as you knock on doors and meet he people you want to work with or emulate someday, opportunities will tend to find you.

(apologies for grammar, doing this from iPad without glasses)

Good luck!

Thanked by:
seawinde
Cairo , Egypt

NetTecture View Post
Well, ok - so COnsider moving within the financial area ?

As in: marketing is out. I am sure there is more than one company in egypt.

i went to the interview , did very well , will be considered , and tomorrow i will email them that i am NOT INTERESTED in the job , and i wont accept any interview except in the field of finance and investments )) , thanks a lot

PS:i had to have the interview for self confidence , and i got it )

seawinde
Cairo , Egypt

billr View Post
Sounds like you are young and early in your professional life. now is the time to take some risk and be true to yourself, don't let short term income opportunities distract you from your course. I would agree with a few of the other posts, dont fear dreaming big, make the next step count toward your goal. Maybe the new position could expose you to other opportunities, but if you are passionate about trading/money mgt. I suggest pursuing something more directly related. Put yourself in the game if possible. I have found that if you are true to yourself and pursue your passion, you will be more confident, happier and as you knock on doors and meet he people you want to work with or emulate someday, opportunities will tend to find you.

(apologies for grammar, doing this from iPad without glasses)

Good luck!

the words from heart just hit without grammar ) , i want to ask do u mean trading live by "Put yourself in the game if possible " ? , thanks

billr 
San Antonio, Texas USA

Platform: NinjaTrader, Tradestation
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 35

Hi Seawinde,

By "put yourself in the game", I meant it is always good to be working and getting to know people in the industry in which you aspire to be a success. If you are taking jobs and getting involved in projects in a given industry, even in a starting position, at least two things are working in your favor:
1. you get to know the industry from the inside and see how projects are started, funded, people are chosen, etc.
2. you meet people and they meet you. (hate to use the term, but it's networking)
After a few of years working in different jobs for different people, you learn how the business really works and where the opportunities are for you. Often times, once you get a foothold somewhere in a given industry, opportunities start to present themselves to you. Those same opportunities can be few and far between to those working outside the business, even if they are bright and successful otherwise.

So to be more direct:

NOT in the game: If you take a job, even a good corporate job, entirely unrelated to the industry you are interested in. Building a resume of 'corporate experience' with the hope of landing a position or even starting your own business in a different field.

IN THE GAME: If you are working or even apprenticing at an entry level position for a firm or successful individual that is doing what you aspire to do. Possibly making very little money at first, but participating in your future business every day.

In the financial world, like any business, there are usually pretty clear paths to what you want to achieve. Working for the sort of company that you would like to own, or compete with someday (even at an entry level position at first) is a great way to see how it works from the inside. It doesn't even have to be exactly the type of company you envision for yourself. But if its related in some way, you will begin to see how different segments of the money management business interact with other institutions, different types of clients, regulators, etc. An entry level position at a financial firm or money mgt firm would be a valuable experience. As a matter of fact, the more you know, the better you can define exactly what you want to do and how to get started. Untold numbers of successful people and businesses sprung from opportunities that arose from participating in the day-to-day business of any given field. You may find that you want to do something you haven't even thought about or knew existed.

In short, if you aspire to be a private money manager, go to work for people that are already doing it or doing something closely related in a way that makes sense to transition to exactly what you want to do. (e.g. you would rather work as an assistant to a money manager rather than a loan officer at a commercial bank) You will be participating directly in the industry you are hoping to make your career. Once you find yourself going working in the industry that you want to own someday, you will begin to see what you want to do more clearly and how to make it happen because you are a participant; you are 'in the game'.

I need to take my dad to lunch, so I will spare you any further preaching

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 4, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts