NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Best reading?

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mrphr with 8 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Anagami with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 4 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bsheers with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two emerson with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Lornz with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mrphr with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 7,694 views
    2. thumb_up 21 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 29 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Best reading?

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Experience: Advanced
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

mrphr View Post
@Anagami

So do you think Mark Douglas, Jack D. Schwager, Edwin Lefevre and Larry Williams... wrote junk then?

For instance, the Schwager book on Technical Analysis... it's a joke (especially compared to Brooks). A bunch of vague suggestions.

As for Lefevre (Livermore)... great book, but every loser reads it and quotes from it. Great for some trading principles, but nothing specific for new traders that would help them to learn to think about price action.

Larry Williams... now there's a SUPERMAN. Stellar performance in trading contests. At least until they found out he had huge losses in his other account (what he was likely doing is hedging one system against another, and then promoting the one that made large profits).

So yah, junk.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
41 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

mrphr 
London

Experience: None
Platform: .
Trading: .
Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 182

Anagami View Post
For instance, the Schwager book on Technical Analysis... it's a joke (especially compared to Brooks). A bunch of vague suggestions.

As for Lefevre (Livermore)... great book, but every loser reads it and quotes from it. Great for some trading principles, but nothing specific for new traders that would help them to learn to think about price action.

Larry Williams... now there's a SUPERMAN. Stellar performance in trading contests. At least until they found out he had huge losses in his other account (what he was likely doing is hedging one system against another, and then promoting the one that made large profits).

So yah, junk.

Okay then...

mrphr 
London

Anagami View Post

So yah, junk.

So what?

I do not trust anyone is this business unless they show me a track record that I can verified [with their broker].

I would love to see Al Brooks track records that I could verified, then I would agree with what are you saying.

Without that, books it is just words, and anybody can be really good with words but when it comes to results...
Ahhh when it comes to results...

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

mrphr View Post
So what?

I do not trust anyone is this business unless they should me a track record that I can verified [with their broker].

I would love to see Al Brooks track records that I could verified, then I would agree with what are you saying.

Without that, books it is just words, and anybody can be really goods with words but when it comes to results...
Ahhh when it comes to results...

Ok then...

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.

mrphr 
London

Anagami View Post
Ok then...

I looks like we are in agreement now

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,608

Desertclimber View Post
As I'm new to futures, is there any place in particular you recommend for a good read?

This thread:

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Cloudy 
desert CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

I would add to the choir about Al Brooks. Consider it a 101 course in price action trading and required reading if you imagine a school curriculum in learning to trade. However getting to Al's level trading exactly the way he describes is another story only a few claim to reach. If you want to see how Al trades live, consider joining his live webinar for day or two during a last week of a month. It's pro-rated so you'd only have to pay $5 per # of days to the end of the month.

I'm not so sure about books about Livermore. Do they really describe how he traded? He lost most of his 2 billion (today's dollars) fortune by the time of his demise.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

Cloudy View Post
I would add to the choir about Al Brooks. Consider it a 101 course in price action trading and required reading if you imagine a school curriculum in learning to trade. However getting to Al's level trading exactly the way he describes is another story only a few claim to reach. If you want to see how Al trades live, consider joining his live webinar for day or two during a last week of a month. It's pro-rated so you'd only have to pay $5 per # of days to the end of the month.

I'm not so sure about books about Livermore. Do they really describe how he traded? He lost most of his 2 billion (today's dollars) fortune by the time of his demise.

No offense, but didn't you blow up recently?

I've never understood why people give advice if they don't make money themselves. It's pretty pointless to read Brooks if one is going to trade off charts. If one chooses to trade off charts, then it's much better to read charts than b(r)ooks. The false truths of others may lead to ruin...

The only books one needs to read are textbooks on market mechanics, financial theory and statistical methods. Figuring out how to make money is a problem solving exercise that is best left to one's own intellect.

Anyone who doesn't enjoy reading Livemore is not suited for speculation!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

Lornz View Post
No offense, but didn't you blow up recently?

I've never understood why people give advice if they don't make money themselves. It's pretty pointless to read Brooks if one is going to trade off charts. If one chooses to trade off charts, then it's much better to read charts than b(r)ooks. The false truths of others may lead to ruin...

Lornz View Post
The only books one needs to read are textbooks on market mechanics, financial theory and statistical methods. Figuring out how to make money is a problem solving exercise that is best left to one's own intellect.!

I fully subscribe to this statement. There is a whole lot of so-called experts spreading their wisdom and selling a lot of advice, including - just naming the good ones

-> Gerald Appel
-> Linda Bradford-Raschke
-> Jake Bernstein
-> Al Brooks
-> Constance Brown
-> John Carter
-> Michael Covel
-> Tom DeMark
-> Dr. Alexander Elder
-> Daryl Guppy
-> Robert C.Miner
-> John Person
-> Larry Pesavento
-> Van K. Tharp
-> Oliver Velez
-> Larry Williams
-> Tom Williams

I have read their books, all of it is relatively easy to digest, gets you acquainted with the language of technical analysis and sounds reasonable.

If something sounds reasonable, it will likely not work ...

Unfortunately, anything that sound reasonable in trading does not work. If a trade feels good, the probability is high that it will become a loser. A trader walks through a forest of Fata Morganas, and the only thing that can save you is either

-> 10,000 hours in front of your trading screen guided by a mentor(you are now a heuristic trader and your brain may have adapted to the task, such as a violin player has retrained a huge area in his brain for moving his fingers)
-> or alternatively a rule-based system with a proven edge

Did I say proven? To prove the edge, you need to be able to evaluate it with statistical methods. To apply the edge, you need tools and - in case that your are not letting run your system automatically - the mindset of a trader.

Focus on Market Mechanisms, Statistics and Psychology

I would not focus on the easy-to-read trading books listed above - you can always use them as a distraction or a motivational read , but look for a thorough knowledge on

-> market mechanisms (start with Barry Johnson: Algorithmic Trading and DMA)
-> statistics (yes, you should work through an undergraduate statistics course)
-> basics about futures (try Schwager on Futures, then John C. Hull on Options, Futures and Other Derivatives)
-> trading psychology (start with one of the books by Brett Steenbarger, such as the Daily Trading Coach or Enhancing Trader Performance)
-> intermarket relationships (John Murphy is an easy read)

You could also subscribe to some of the trading magazines, such as Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities or Active Trader.

I am reading them, although at least half of the stuff is just the latest fad and is only printed to lure more people into the trading machine that feeds the professionals.

Lornz View Post
Anyone who doesn't enjoy reading Livemore is not suited for speculation!

Yes, motivation is as important as anything else. Here are some more fun reads:

-> Rob Booker: Adventures of a Currency Trader
-> Nicolas Darvas: How I made $ 2,000,000 in the stock market
-> Satyajit Das: Traders, Guns and Money
-> William Falloon: Charlie D.
-> Roger Lowenstein: When Genius failed
-> Charles Mackay: Extraordinary Popular Delusions
-> Sebastian Mallaby: More Money than God
-> Jack Schwager: Market Wizards, New Market Wizards
-> Martin Schwartz : Pit Bull
-> Jillian Tett: Fool's Gold

Just to know what happened to others, who wanted to be traders.

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Fat Tails View Post
-> Al Brooks

I would not focus on the easy-to-read trading books listed above

LOL Anything but.

Last Updated on April 28, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts