NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

TOS Monkey Bars (Mkt Profile) & Volume Profile

Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one TonyB with 11 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two Private Banker with 7 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Massive l with 6 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mfbreakout with 5 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Private Banker with 1.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Massive l with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mfbreakout with 0.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 TonyB with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 56,943 views
    2. thumb_up 30 thanks given
    3. group 14 followers
    1. forum 44 posts
    2. attach_file 9 attachments

Search this Thread

TOS Monkey Bars (Mkt Profile) & Volume Profile

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,236
Thanks Received: 101,658

TonyB View Post
Would that only be true or impacting for tick charts, as opposed to minute-based ones for VP?

Creating a profile chart consisting of minute data will mean that your levels (value areas, POC, etc) will be off, sometimes by many ticks. Definitely not good.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS, TS & MC
Broker: TDA & TS
Trading: Stock, Options and now Futures (ES)
Thanks Given: 227
Thanks Received: 140

Big Mike View Post
Creating a profile chart consisting of minute data will mean that your levels (value areas, POC, etc) will be off, sometimes by many ticks. Definitely not good.

Mike

Drat, thanks Mike. Was hoping to incorporate VP within TOS, but if the data if off to the point to where it is not accurately reflecting the market, I won't bother at this point...

If TOS is not based upon tick data, what is it based upon? I wonder it if is like IB's...

Started this thread Reply With Quote
stang3O2
Nashville, TN US

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 12

TonyB View Post
Drat, thanks Mike. Was hoping to incorporate VP within TOS, but if the data if off to the point to where it is not accurately reflecting the market, I won't bother at this point...

If TOS is not based upon tick data, what is it based upon? I wonder it if is like IB's...

I think it is based on where the candle closes, so if you look at a profile on a 1 min chart vs a 5 min chart you should see differences in the profile

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

stang3O2 View Post
I think it is based on where the candle closes, so if you look at a profile on a 1 min chart vs a 5 min chart you should see differences in the profile

I am no expert in Volume profile. I use TOS profile and it can be set to tick data. I am relatively new to Volume profile nuances in terms of importance of Volume Profile POC being exact.

The way i trade crude oil TOS profile seems to do the job. I am mostly interested in observing price moving from middle of one bell curve to the next.

I have heard from many of my friends who use market delta software that it is better. However, i have not been able to see how market delta software will improve my trading Vs TOS profile.

Maybe , it is just the way i trade.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
stang3O2
Nashville, TN US

mfbreakout View Post
I am no expert in Volume profile. I use TOS profile and it can be set to tick data. I am relatively new to Volume profile nuances in terms of importance of Volume Profile POC being exact.

The way i trade crude oil TOS profile seems to do the job. I am mostly interested in observing price moving from middle of one bell curve to the next.

I have heard from many of my friends who use market delta software that it is better. However, i have not been able to see how market delta software will improve my trading Vs TOS profile.

Maybe , it is just the way i trade.

TOS does not have tick data, I think you are confusing Ticksize profile with Tick data. It is different, tick data refers to how the volume is counted ticksize is how it is displayed. to see the difference look at where the VPOC is on a 1 min chart vs a 60 min chart for the same day, if using tick data the vpoc will be the same on each and it will be a real number( ie ES 1281.25 not 1281.13). I'm looking at TOS ES 1min chart with a profile for friday's RTH session and it says the VPOC is 1381.13, How is it possible the the most volume traded on Friday was at a number that doesn't exist? I think you get the point...

Thanked by:

mfbreakout 
BOSTON, MA
Market Wizard

Platform: Tradestation, TOS
Trading: ES, CL, GC
Thanks Given: 3,478
Thanks Received: 15,818

stang3O2 View Post
TOS does not have tick data, I think you are confusing Ticksize profile with Tick data. It is different, tick data refers to how the volume is counted ticksize is how it is displayed. to see the difference look at where the VPOC is on a 1 min chart vs a 60 min chart for the same day, if using tick data the vpoc will be the same on each and it will be a real number( ie ES 1281.25 not 1281.13). I'm looking at TOS ES 1min chart with a profile for friday's RTH session and it says the VPOC is 1381.13, How is it possible the the most volume traded on Friday was at a number that doesn't exist? I think you get the point...

thanks, it makes sense now.

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,859
Thanks Received: 5,106

It may be off with ToS but it seems to work pretty well for me.
Maybe I'm lucky and I'm really just a random line trader,
which is cool with me.

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

stang3O2 View Post

Indeed, makes sense now alright.

So... This is not exactly ideal. Does TOS do this as a matter of cost-savings, or what? The data could clearly be better, and for someone looking to employ VP more, I'm a little disappointed. I can't imagine me emailing them, pointing this out (as if they don't know), and expecting a response that entails TOS making a change to tick data...

stang3O2
Nashville, TN US

TonyB View Post
Indeed, makes sense now alright.

So... This is not exactly ideal. Does TOS do this as a matter of cost-savings, or what? The data could clearly be better, and for someone looking to employ VP more, I'm a little disappointed. I can't imagine me emailing them, pointing this out (as if they don't know), and expecting a response that entails TOS making a change to tick data...

Its a cost savings for them. Investor RT is the place to be for VP trading. With TOS you can get an idea of what the profile looks like but serious profile traders should not rely on inaccurate data.

TonyB 
Bay Area, CA - US

I just checked-out Investor RT, and I see what you mean. I just recently purchased MC, and it looks like I'll get using it for futures fairly soon... That said, I just emailed TOS / TDA, for the heck of it. I called-out the ".13" POC. Curious what they have to say...

Last Updated on March 7, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts