NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Webinar: FuturesTrader71 (FT71) on Risk, Sizing, Scaling and Trade Management

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 38 posts (37 thanks)
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 11 posts (33 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trendisyourfriend with 7 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 monpere with 6 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one sdthomas01 with 14 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Lornz with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 47,041 views
    2. thumb_up 159 thanks given
    3. group 32 followers
    1. forum 139 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

Webinar: FuturesTrader71 (FT71) on Risk, Sizing, Scaling and Trade Management

futuretrader 
Como Italy

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader, customized
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 471
Thanks Received: 643

monpere View Post
Can you really rely on volume profile analysis in hindsight? Isn't it possible and likely that the volume profile as it looks on a historical chart, looked very different in the middle of the day while the profile was developing?

I don't know about that software, but gomi's MP adjusts to the bars visible on the chart, so you can see precisely what the profile would have looked like at any time. It's the ongoing development of the profile that tells you what's happening intraday.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart, X_Trader Pro, OptionsCity
Broker: Advantage, Trading Technologies, OptionsCity, IQ Feed
Trading: CL, NG
Thanks Given: 1,713
Thanks Received: 3,863

monpere View Post
Can you really rely on volume profile analysis in hindsight? Isn't it possible and likely that the volume profile as it looks on a historical chart, looked very different in the middle of the day while the profile was developing?

Sure, you can but are you referring to that particular day or on a composite of a few years? I know people actually initiate and exit trades from these areas but I prefer to watch the volume there and join the bid or offer should there be an interest there.

Looking at intra-day volume profiles to formulate or manage trades can be tricky but you have to just pay attention to the PA and volume. But I would say the big picture volume composite would have a greater impact than any intra-day volume areas. So, in the example I provided, price was sold into which created a low volume area at the high, then a high volume area around the open which rejected price or put a better way, there weren't enough buyers interested in that price range. So price dropped lower looking for buyers. Some buyers most likely stepped in and were able to push price back up to the previous high volume area where buyers were no longer interested in price and sellers gained control again from there. And so on.

The actual profile will definitely look different obviously as the day develops. Per the chart, you can see a majority of the volume took place at the low of the day which appeared to be stops being blown out and shorts probably covering as well as potential new buyers coming in based on what the big picture's structure was at the time making that area a large price acceptance area for the end of the day. I would imagine the point of control shifted from the high volume area in the AM down to the big blowout area at the bottom of the profile in the afternoon.

Thanked by:

Maisie 
san francisco

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Interactive Brokers
Trading: stocks & options
Thanks Given: 99
Thanks Received: 85

FT71,
Forgot to say, i also like your idea of preserving "emotional capital".
i personally don't think i could ever trade futures unless i had a massive amount of capital already built up in my account.
but under those circumstances, i can see it could be good.

~M

Du sublime au ridicule, il n'ya qu'un pas. ~Napoleon Bonaparte
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 TI Anon 
Chicago,IL

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Amp Futures/TT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 16

FuturesTrader71 View Post

TI Anonymous takes my words to mean that you should just lose and be happy about it.

It seems you have missed my point. I'll take Big Mike's advice and rephrase.

My comments in regards to losing were in response to Big Mike's inquiry about the plight of some on the board. It was presented as an alternate opinion, not about FT's words. In the most basic terms here it is:

1. The mind is a goal seeking device.
2. If you "program" it to be a "good loser" that's exactly what you will get.
3. Brokers, trainers and peers reinforce the concept of "good loser".
4. Traders then lose and become frustrated and disillusioned.
5. They got exactly what they were trained and convinced was the goal they were seeking.

Again, this is in the most basic of terms. Nothing about FT, just an alternate (rarely if ever discussed) explanation to what happens.

FT and I actually have the same goal- to help other traders. We just do it in different ways. Mine has to do with injecting "common sense" and "critical thinking" into the process.

(For further reading see-Maxwell Maltz. It is a place to start, but not the destination.)

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Platform: Ensign 10, NT7 DOM
Broker: IB, IQ
Trading: Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 811
Thanks Received: 2,102

Another Great Webinar by you-know-who.

Isn't Online Anonymity Fun ?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

Don't know if anyone posted this, but here's the link to the Trader Intervention webinar that Big Mike referred to. Well worth listening to.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,214
Thanks Received: 101,599

Anagami View Post
Don't know if anyone posted this, but here's the link to the Trader Intervention webinar that Big Mike referred to. Well worth listening to.

Thanks for digging up the link. And yes, I think this guy really clearly demonstrates the cycle of what a lot of people go through, right up to the end where he kept making bad decisions even when faced with how obviously poor they were.... and even when the webinar was done, I wonder if he went ahead with his bad plan, or if he really did take the advice to heart and make changes.

If anyone knows how he is trading today, or what actions he took after the Trader Intervention, please let me know.

I don't mean to ridicule this guy, and I also don't want to pierce the veil of anonymity and respect his right to privacy. But his case study is really a good example of what I hear on a near daily basis when people contact me and share their stories or ask for advice.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

Big Mike View Post
Thanks for digging up the link. And yes, I think this guy really clearly demonstrates the cycle of what a lot of people go through, right up to the end where he kept making bad decisions even when faced with how obviously poor they were.... and even when the webinar was done, I wonder if he went ahead with his bad plan, or if he really did take the advice to heart and make changes.

If anyone knows how he is trading today, or what actions he took after the Trader Intervention, please let me know.

I don't mean to ridicule this guy, and I also don't want to pierce the veil of anonymity and respect his right to privacy. But his case study is really a good example of what I hear on a near daily basis when people contact me and share their stories or ask for advice.

Mike

Despite his losses, it seemed like the guy didn't hit the bottom just yet... didn't feel like he was psychologically ready to accept what it takes to trade, to give up on focus and attachment to money/results...etc. As long as it stays on a purely intellectual level, it's just talk, and the monster is still there to trip him up the next time.

The big question is: how does one overturn the deep mechanisms that make you go crazy? Talking with somebody takes you only so far.... and we're so good at bullshitting ourselves... and the next time you break a promise to yourself, you see it was all just talk.

A fundamental re-orientation is necessary. Have to break some bones in yourself and set them right.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
 jonc 
australia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: -
Thanks Given: 123
Thanks Received: 140

The best part of this webinar for me was the coin toss and taking a trade based on it but I was hoping it could be more extensive.

Do you guys know of any other sources which make a similar study or experiment?

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

jonc View Post
The best part of this webinar for me was the coin toss and taking a trade based on it but I was hoping it could be more extensive.

Do you guys know of any other sources which make a similar study or experiment?

I haven't read it, nor do I endorse reading it, but Van Tharp wrote about random entries in his book. There have been several discussions on the subject on other message boards.

Amazon.com: Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom (9780071478717): Van Tharp: Books

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on October 16, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts