NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

NinjaTrader with 16+ cores

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 37 posts (33 thanks)
    2. looks_two JohnnyB with 17 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 NetTecture with 13 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Eubie with 3 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one wavey with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 JohnnyB with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 NetTecture with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 43,428 views
    2. thumb_up 52 thanks given
    3. group 26 followers
    1. forum 102 posts
    2. attach_file 20 attachments

Search this Thread

NinjaTrader with 16+ cores

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

JohnnyB View Post
Mike - Can you provide any performance comparisons between the 4P Opteron and i7 920 PC? Maybe some backtesting benchmarks using MC8? You're giving up some clock speed with the Opterons so I'd like to compare both single and multi-threaded performance.

JB

Haven't had time to do any benchmarks. But MC has no problem filling all 48 cores with full load when you are backtesting more than around 50,000 bars. If you test fewer bars it won't fill the pipe. Not a problem for me, most of my tests are over a million bars.

I change affinity so that one or two cores are left untouched, so the rest of the machine continues to respond well.

A guestimate for speed: My i7 920 was overclocked to 4.0ghz, so clock for clock the i7 was faster. But there were 8 cores, and now there are 48 cores. So no matter how you look at it, the new machine is considerably faster.

If I was building a new single processor workstation, it would not be AMD. It would be Intel.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
43 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 JohnnyB 
Chicago, IL

Platform: prop
Trading: Options
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 18

I agree. Single or dual processor workstation, I'd definitely go Intel. Hence the EVGA SR-2. But the allure of 48 or 64 cores has me intrigued.

bomberone1 
London

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MultiCharts
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Received: 29

In my opinion is better built a lan by windowserver2008 hpc and share the calculation from all machine.
Do any one try to built grid computing by multicharts?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

bomberone1 View Post
In my opinion is better built a lan by windowserver2008 hpc and share the calculation from all machine.

I would love for that to be true. But unless I am completely wrong, that is not at all how a HPC works.

When you run an application like MultiCharts, it does not see a combination of all the nodes. Instead, the head node simply assigns the task to one of the cluster nodes. The application does not see an aggregate of all cluster nodes, in other words the application does not span multiple cluster nodes.

Would love to be proven wrong.

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

Big Mike View Post
I would love for that to be true. But unless I am completely wrong, that is not at all how a HPC works.

When you run an application like MultiCharts, it does not see a combination of all the nodes. Instead, the head node simply assigns the task to one of the cluster nodes. The application does not see an aggregate of all cluster nodes, in other words the application does not span multiple cluster nodes.

Would love to be proven wrong.

Mike

I think Mike is right, unless having a special software version, HPC ready, the threads will not be dispatched on all nodes. I did some large backtests, maybe 10 years ago, on a Linux HPC farm, but it was Perl home made code, and the threads were not dispatched on all slave nodes, that was real processes.

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 bomberone1 
London

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MultiCharts
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Received: 29

Another solution is Digipede.
Digipede : Grid Computing for Windows : Distributed Computing : Cluster Computing : Grid Computing for .NET
Do you think that it could work fine?

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

bomberone1 View Post

No, unless having your software using their sdk.
Do not hope any miracle .

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
pthegreat
Miami florida

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

Hi All,
I use Worden's Stockfinder, which has a VB based programming interface called "Realcode". I have programmed a set of indicators. Till recent i had it running on a Intel I7 920, overclocked at 4Ghz. Stockfinder/realcode uses a lot of CPU resources, specially since I use at least 500 bars per chart, and have some indicators that loop over each bar and do some extensive calculations.

With the I7 920 I had my layout maxed out at 3charts. I desperately wanted to load more charts, therefore, since Stockfinder is a multithreading app, I thought I would throw as many CPU cores at it as possible.
My first attempt was a Supermicro H8QGi-F board with 2 6282SE Opteron CPU's (max is 4 CPU), for a total of 32 threads. Used MS server 2008, to my surprise it performed worse then my I7 920. returned the board on a RMA, and replaced with a ASUS Extreme IV formula, with a I7-3930x and overclocked it at 4.9Ghz. I got it to 5Ghz, but it would crash once in a while, and at 4.9Ghz is rock-solid. Now I've got 11 charts running with minute data.

Moral of story : whatever app you're using, and thinking of upgrading hardware in order to improve performance, then just the total amount of cores might not be the single answer.
A simple test is to have your current CPU run on a single core, and step from a low clockspeed to the max clockspeed supported. In my case I found out that a single chart with all my indicators on it runs very poorly if my CPU clockspeed gets reduced below around 3.5Ghz, regardless of total cores. after clocking over 4Ghz, I can expand my layout with more charts, almost on a extra chart per extra core bases.

Since the AMD Opterons run at about 3Ghz clockspeed, it really didnt matter how many cores I had available, performance was poor. But when I switched to a CPU that can run at higher clockspeed, things run fine, and my layout started taking advantage of the extra cores.

next mission is to try a EVGA SR-2 with dual 5690's OC'd at about 4.5 to 4.6Ghz (from reading that seems to be the ceiling for these CPU's), and thus be able to run even more charts on my layout.

Thanked by:
 JohnnyB 
Chicago, IL

Platform: prop
Trading: Options
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 18

Mike,

Any updates on your quad 6174 Opteron workstation? How is it working out?

I was running a large portfolio optimization using R last night and could have used more cores...

JohnnyB

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

JohnnyB View Post
Mike,

Any updates on your quad 6174 Opteron workstation? How is it working out?

I was running a large portfolio optimization using R last night and could have used more cores...

JohnnyB

It was a dog. I sold it to a Folder. I built a new workstation instead, i7-2700k overclocked to 5.0ghz on water, 32gb, 2x256gb crucial m4 ssd raid 0. More threads and cores are great, but the AMD box was a real dog as a workstation, the i7 box just crushes it.

Mike

Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 1, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts