NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Day Trading Stocks with Discretion

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bijeremiad with 264 posts (98 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 10 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Bermudan Option with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 VinceVirgil with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one VinceVirgil with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Bermudan Option with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bijeremiad with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 47,061 views
    2. thumb_up 127 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 297 posts
    2. attach_file 383 attachments

Search this Thread

Day Trading Stocks with Discretion

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: IB
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 286
Thanks Received: 346

1 Winner. 1 Loser. Net gain $115. 47th percentile day.

Trade 1. Got in right after some economic news was announced. Several failed pushes up, left me leaning short. Once news hit, jumped in. Caught a good move. Was patient with stops. Thought about stopping out around 8:54, but market traded down again. Jumped out after first double bottom was put in and began trading up around 9:45.

Trade 2. Thought I was seeing a second failed push up 10:21 and a rejection of $140.25 from a prior day. Market made two more pushes up after that. Stopped out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120621VFC.png
Views:	155
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	78950  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

4 trades. 2 winners. 2 losers. Net gain $160. 61st percentile day.

Trade 1 was a purchase after a $1 move in 2 bars. Lots of momentum. This should have been a warning sign for a strong up trend day. But not quite the follow through I have seen on this pattern. Stopped out.

Trade 2 was a short after a failure to make a higher high on the back of that strong move up. Trend hadn't really been established for the day, so I was pretty protective with my stop. Moved my stop to cover the loss of the previous trade. Huge volume up bar (30k shares and a $0.75 range bar, my second warning that trend up was underway). I was flat at this point.

Trade 3 was despite the two warnings I had received. Short a little late on what appeared to be a double top. There was a dynamic support line that carried through from the previous day. Lost $15 on this one.

Trade 4 was pretty late in the trend. Apparently JPM had upgraded the stock to Overweight. So I waited for a retracement back to the 21 EMA and the bottom of the channel and went long 200 shares. Was hoping to take $1 swing. Offer got up there but not the bid. With little time left in the day, I closed out as price retreated from the highs. Target was hit about 30 minutes later.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120622VFC.png
Views:	143
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	78986  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

3 losers. -$80 loss. 1 percentile day.

Trade 1 was a push off the 21EMA after a gap down. But some economic numbers a 7am pushed the markets around. Stopped out.

Trade 2 Should have been my trade. Because I was stopped out without taking out the recent swing high, I got short again. Took heat immediately; almost stopped out. When price came back the second time, jumped out at BE. I only had to take another $0.10 of heat and I would have had a good runner on my hands. Ugh.

Trade 3 After seeing the higher low at 7:30, I thought I might be seeing a trend up (despite the gap down and the lower highs so far). That coupled with two stop getting hit, I thought I might be mentally positions the wrong way. So I went long. A brief 3-minute mistake. Done for the day, missed the big move.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120625VFC.png
Views:	148
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	79111  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

4 losers. -$80 loss. 1st percentile day.

Trade 1 makes no sense, even just 11 hours after the trade. Was this a breakout? An end of channel? Didn't even last 1 bar.

Trade 2 was a pull back on a down trend. Went $0.70 in may favor. Ended moving my stop to BE.

Trade 3 was after a pull back near the 21EMA. Should have been a good trade, but got skittish with my stop, which took me out at BE.

Trade 4 was 6 min too early. but I thought I had my edge with the intraday channel, rather than waiting for support. Was out in minutes.

HUGE selling program took place from 11:15 to 11:30. Hadn't noticed something like that before.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120626VFC.png
Views:	140
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	79113  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

2 losers. -$80 net loss. 1st percentile day.

Third day in a row of straight losers. 9 in a row. If I were trading 2% stops, i would be down 18%. Scary thought.

Trade 1 was supposed to be a trade off a local resistance at the high of the day. Price did pause, but strength was pretty evident in the approach. Stop was a little tight given the volatility. Wouldn't have helped to have a larger stop, but just noting I got a little greedy.

Trade 2 was in response to the strength seen from 6:45 to 7:09. I was expecting a pullback off the 21EMA. I got one for about 30 seconds. Trade didn't eve last a bar.

At least two nice trades came after these. But I stopped at $80 loss. Another day...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120627VFC.png
Views:	137
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	79312  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

Two losers, -$83 loss.

Today was a special confluence of events. I am working on getting an excel journal together, but it has been a while since I placed live trades. Decided to do that today. Thing is, I have this losing streak of 9 trades in a row. Added 2 more to that. At this point, if I was live trading I would stop and reassess. But I am not trading live, so what can I stop? Poor time to try live trades.

Not going to "review" the trades, but I will comment on the day. The other thing that happened today was a huge trend day down. This should have been an easy day to trade. Usually, you hear the idea "simple, but not easy" regarding trading. Today was flat out easy.

How easy? Up through 11:30am, the first 5 hours of the day, all you had to do was sell. I usually trade with a $0.40 stop (sometimes a $0.20 if the ATR5 is less than $0.20 and i am feeling aggressive/greedy). Using a $0.40 stop, there were only three stretches of 2, 10, and, 21 minutes where a $0.40 stop would have been taken out. First five hours (300 minutes) and only 33 minutes of "danger". Put another way, there were 3487 trades during that time frame, only on 548 (or 16%) of those trades could I have been stopped out. 84% of random shorts put on in the first 5 hours would have done great.

If, if, IF I had the presence of mind to watch price and recognize the down trend. But what do I do? Two longs. Two longs that don't last 10 minutes each.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120628VFC.png
Views:	159
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	79493  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

2 trades. 1 Winner, 1 Loser. Net $20 gain. 25th percentile day.

Very low volatility day. Price basically sat at two prices for 5 hours. Very peculiar. A high volume day too. I have been thinking of recording the "vol" for the day to get a sense of how I trade on different days. Originally, I was thinking I could record the range of the day. The idea being, I should make more money on a $5 high-to-low day than a $2 day. But a day like today would be a $2.50 day, which is on the lower end, but not as "flat" as today's chart shows. May have to think of a different metric.

Trade 1 was a bounce off of a trend started yesterday. Strong reversal bar, so I took an entry. The previous price action was decidedly negative, so I was defensive with my stop. So I bailed after price looked like it bounced off of a resistance level from yesterday. Would have been stopped out.

Trade 2 was with the same trend as Trade 1. By this time a HH/HL had been established twice. But price started to go sideways. After 45 minutes I jumped out at BE.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120629VFC.png
Views:	132
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	79946  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

1 winning trade. Net gain $95.

Trade 1 took a short after 4 failed pushes up and price finding resistance in the EMA21. Was pretty patient with stops. Felt a little anxious at 8:33, but price stalled up and continued down. I jammed my stop down after the higher high at 11am.

Fortunately I was away from my desk. Otherwise I probably would have been tempted to trade a reversal 12:15 or 12:30...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120702VFC.png
Views:	133
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	79947  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

2 Trades. 1 winner, 1 loser. Net gain $120.

Early close today. Thought about not trading. The fact that I did worries me a little because it shows the inability to sit on the sidelines.

Trade 1 was a short. I was surprised to see a gap down. A LH had been put in, and price was failing to push up, so I put the trade on. Some economic numbers came out, which were positive, and dragged the market up. I benefited from some negative economic numbers yesterday. Need to keep those in mind.

My short bias was strong today. I refused to act on the up trend - even after the move from 7:00-7:15. I thought about getting long at 7:21, 7:39, 8:30, and 8:51. Never pulled the trigger. Last few days have seen such strong selling, I was very hesitant. Cost me today.

Trade 2 was another short. After a break in a trendline and two failed pushes higher after coming down through the $132.50 level from yesterday. I was frustrated with the losing trade - especially when I thought I shouldn't be trading today. All I wanted was to break even for the day. Once I hit BE, price action was suggesting that price would go further, but I felt a strong need to close the trade out. I kept the trade on, and picked up another $0.60 on 200 shares. This was a small victory. You can go broke taking a profit... you have to let them run.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120703VFC.png
Views:	131
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	80079  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

Just a quick post with the equity curve for my trades since finishing up paper trading. Each dot is a day.

Disappointing to see that basically the last 14 of 27 trading days have been a wash. Last 8 days particularly tough. I have a hypothesis as to why that is. Next post.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Equity curve jul3.png
Views:	130
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	80080  

Last Updated on March 10, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts