NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Day Trading Stocks with Discretion

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bijeremiad with 264 posts (98 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 10 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Bermudan Option with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 VinceVirgil with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one VinceVirgil with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Bermudan Option with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bijeremiad with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 47,410 views
    2. thumb_up 127 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 297 posts
    2. attach_file 383 attachments

Search this Thread

Day Trading Stocks with Discretion

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,242
Thanks Received: 101,662

Was wondering if you could look here:

Maybe you know the answer, since you are using a Bloomberg Terminal.

?

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: IB
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 286
Thanks Received: 346

3 losers for net -$80.

Trade 1 was a break out trade, got in a little late after breaking through $139.90, got stopped out in about 5 minutes.

Trade 2 was a little more reasonable. Price had retraced to $140.50 and failed to break out. Again, a little late on the entry, but got out at BE after price failed to push through the support of $139.90 from the last trade.

Trade 3 Right idea, but a little early and stops too tight. Wasn't much trading opportunity after that. Whole lot of chop around $140.50.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120717VFC.png
Views:	155
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	81936  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

2 winners, 3 losers. Net gain $280.

Trade 1 Saw lower highs and took a short. Thought I had something when price pushed through $139.50. Was patient through the first pullback. Didn't move stop until price traded through $139.50 again. Price peeked through $139.50, and I really though we were off to the races, despite S&P rallying strong. Stopped out at BE.

Trade 2 Got in after the first pullback off $139.50. Saw price stall at resistance of $140.50 (relevant level from yesterday), so I jammed my stop in and got out with $120 profit, which would be a pretty good day, if I left it at that.

Trade 3 had me worried. I got back in at my exit price and saw price trade up even further. Then price got so high that the price was over $1 above the 21 EMA. it was at the top of the channel, and price had stalled there for about 2 minutes. So I jammed my stop again, and was sitting at $320 profit. A fantastic day.

Trade 4 was based on the idea that I had just seen a spike and would see a channel down. This was a countertrend trade, so I was aggressive with my stop, which left me BE. But I still thought I would see the channel down (drawn in purple on the chart).

Trade 5 was made as if I had never heard of a complex correction. I saw the lower high and thought I had the short. I was so sure that I put this trade on with real money. I was so sure, I even got in on a limit order, just a little early before price broke resistance, just for good measure. Didn't end well. Full stop loss.

The biggest error of the day was exiting on Trades 2/3. Trade 2 only cost me commission $2-4, no big deal. But my early exit cost me $200-300. I had a whole 33 minutes to get back in after my exit. Rather than seeing the strong trend, I spent my time looking for two shorts. If I typically lose $40 on a trade, $300 is enough to cover 7 full stops. That is 3 days worth of bad trades. A 7.5R mistake! I could trade without stops and not likely encounter an error that big. Goes to reiterate you can go broke taking a profit. Let 'em run. Its worth all the days i lose a few ticks on range-bound days.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120718VFC.png
Views:	134
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	81939  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

Busy with other things. It was a big, big day +10.61 or 7.5%. Too bad.

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

3 Losers. -$80.

Trade 1 Took a bounce off of a big support level from yesterday, which was a big day after earnings. I guess I was hoping it would be the bottom, but I should have treated it for what it was, a counter trend day and moved my stop accordingly.

Trade 2 and Trade 3. I got cockeyed in the chop. Lousy way to shut down a day. These quick reversals are useless I think. If its chop I kill my day with 2 losses, which ends my day. If it is not chop, then another opportunity will come along, wait 30 min. It won't kill me.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120720VFC.png
Views:	125
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	82146  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

So today marks my second month of watching VFC real time. Attached is a graph showing my results for the 8 weeks.

Here are some summary statistics:

Oddly, I only made $6 more than the previous 4 months. The mix of winners was different. I had that streak of losers at the beginning of this month, which dragged down the percentage, but that was also offset by the few larger win days, as evidenced by the winning day average of $188 vs $121 in the last period. Another change was to cut loses to just two full-stop trades. There were a few losing days in the first month where I had 3 full stop losses (see the average day loss of $68 this month vs $81 last month).

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Equity curve jul20.png
Views:	126
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	82152  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

2 winners, 1 loser. Net $139 gain.

Trade 1 was pretty late, after hesitating at 7:12 and 7:21. I wasn't watching my screen when the proper pullback happened around 7:51. The trade would have been good enough to carry me through the whole day without taking any heat, but I was getting nervous after the long run up, so I set a tighter stop and got hit.

Trade 2 was a pretty anxious short. After a strong move up and 2/3 of the way to a close gap fill, I take a short just minutes after price breaks the trend line up. Relax. Tightened stop and was taken out.

Trade 3 was a break out. Price stalled at 11:45, so I jammed my stop in for an exit at $150.45.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120723VFC.png
Views:	122
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	82506  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

3 Winners, 2 losers. $198 net.

Trade 1 was a short off of a pullback. Trend carried over from the day before. Was a little too fidgety with my stop. I could have run the whole day with this trade, but got shaken out early. Probably not too realistic. I would have to go 90 minutes without touching the stop.

Trade 2 was a failed break out below $149, which was a support level from yesterday. After price bounced 3 times off $149, I took a long up, figuring I had support. The fight that ensued between the bears/bulls from 8:30-8:51 between $149-149.25 should have clued me into the breakout that followed. Lots of trapped traders there (including me...).

Trade 3 was the first pullback after the break out. Valid set up, with trend. I moved to break even after trade was well in my favor and after a little under 30 minutes. Got shaken out at that level. Probably could have made $0.75 on that trade.

Trade 4 was a continuation of trade 3, caught most of what I would have in Trade 3.

Trade 5 was a pull back in a (small) uptrend. At 12:15, I knew this was a short term trade. So I jammed my stop at the first sign of stall. I probably would have gotten stopped out if I had tried to wait for the slighter higher high that followed.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120724VFC.png
Views:	111
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	82675  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

2 losers, -$80.

Trade 1 right direction. was a little late after the pull back, just a bit early. Stopped out.

Trade 2 was a disaster. Counter trend, had not broken the trend line yet (in blue). It was bouncing off resistance at $147, but only 1 failure. Mileage wouldn't have been that great, even if I were short.

I did miss the short at 7:42. I passed at the time becuase I thought the R:R was off because of resistance at $147.

Afterwards I did watch for other trades. The trade at 9:48 would have been a good one.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120725VFC.png
Views:	121
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	82678  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

2 losers. -$80 net.

Trade 1 was the right direction but early. I thought I had a bounce of $149.50 resistance. Stopped out pretty quickly.

Trade 2 got cock-eyed in the brief chop. Really? flipping directions 4 bars later? Thought maybe I was seeing a reversal with the higher low at 7:00am. I should have been more focused on the lower high at 7:06. This was definitely a countertrend trade. Only lasted 15 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120726VFC.png
Views:	123
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	83327  

Last Updated on March 10, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts