NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Day Trading Stocks with Discretion

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bijeremiad with 264 posts (98 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 10 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Bermudan Option with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 VinceVirgil with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one VinceVirgil with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Bermudan Option with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bijeremiad with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 47,370 views
    2. thumb_up 127 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 297 posts
    2. attach_file 383 attachments

Search this Thread

Day Trading Stocks with Discretion

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: IB
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 286
Thanks Received: 346

2 losers. -$65.

Trade 1 was a bit of a chase for a breakout above the first bar that closed above the EMA21. I hesitated about getting out around $152.90 after price bounced off resistance from yesterday (and the second time today), but I did not, and ended getting out at a prior swing low.

Trade 2 was a little late, but a bounce off the EMA21. I think I let my loss in trade 1 put me in a bearish bias too soon. Actually, it looks like a pretty valid set up. But it was the bottom tick of the day. Stopped out. In fact there was a nasty gap between bar just before 8:12am; hope I would have been strong enough to lift the offer as it moved up.

I was out for the day. Thought I saw a short at 9:18am after 4 bounces off of $152.90. Nope, just trend.

I was thinking of another hypothetical short late in the day at 12:15pm after breaking down below S/R of $153.10. It was a little early and didn't have much of a run.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201200829VFC.png
Views:	199
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	87328  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

2 winners, $230.

Trade 1 was a break down past a prior intraday stopping point. I was looking for a pullback to the EMA21 or resistance around $151.50, but neither happened. I did bounce off a trendline. Price was much weaker in VFC than the S&P, so I took the short down. With $151.50 out of the way, I thought the next stop would be $150. But VFC saw consolidation for 18 minutes after a strong push down. As price peeked above the resistance line, I jammed out.

I missed a good $1 of rally, until finally jumping in after the first pullback at 8:13am. Went long expecting to get maybe a 2R trade or maybe up to the high of the day at $152.50. I almost panicked and jumped at 9:21am when a boatload of volume came through after price had slowed. Ended up jamming my stop to get out just below my higher target of $152.50, after 3 pushed towards the level.

I hesitated on a long at 11:33am, which would have worked for 1.5R. I hesitated on a short around $152.50, which would not have worked.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	201200830VFC.png
Views:	191
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	87329  
Thanked by:

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

1 winner, 6 losers, net -$3.

Traded like I felt today: running in place. After a week of 25 hours of sleep, should have taken the day off.

Trade 1 After 4 lower highs, I felt this was with trend. I did ignore the higher low at 7:30. After taking heat on the first bar of the trade, I trimmed my stop and was taken out shortly after that.

Trade 2 was a long after 2 higher lows and a close above the EMA21. When price above $153 was rejected, I became defensive with my stop. Already at this point, I think I was trading to not hit two negative trades that woiuld close me out for the day.

Trade 3 was after another higher low still. And again around $153 for the same psychological reasons I jumped out at single-dollar profits.

Trade 4 was after price broke an uptrend line and putting in a double top. This short ended up being into resistance. Price came back to my entry point and started to trade down briefly. I jammed my stop lower to BE. I was a little slow to realize that

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

1 winner, 6 losers, net -$3.

Traded like I felt today: running in place. After a week of 25 hours of sleep, should have taken the day off.

Trade 1 After 4 lower highs, I felt this was with trend. I did ignore the higher low at 7:30. After taking heat on the first bar of the trade, I trimmed my stop and was taken out shortly after that.

Trade 2 was a long after 2 higher lows and a close above the EMA21. When price above $153 was rejected, I became defensive with my stop. Already at this point, I think I was trading to not hit two negative trades that woiuld close me out for the day.

Trade 3 was after another higher low still. And again around $153 for the same psychological reasons I jumped out at single-dollar profits.

Trade 4 was after price broke an uptrend line and putting in a double top. This short ended up being into resistance. Price came back to my entry point and started to trade down briefly. I jammed my stop lower to BE. I was a little slow to realize that price was failing to push through resistance from the prior day. Still not wanting to end for the day, I bailed at BE.

Trade 5 was a flip after seeing price break a longish resistance trend line. Held this for a small gain. Jammed out after price failed to go higher.

Trade 6 should never have happened. I should stop at trade 5. But I had a lower high and a break of a trend support line. Ended getting out at a modest loss.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	201200831VFC.png
Views:	194
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	87827  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

Equity curve with last week's results added. I included dates and vertical lines so you can see where weeks begin/end.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Equity curve aug31.png
Views:	222
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	87828  
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,234
Thanks Received: 101,655

bijeremiad View Post
Equity curve with last week's results added. I included dates and vertical lines so you can see where weeks begin/end.

Nice work.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

3 losers, -$80.

Trade 1 was a embarrassing. Obviously countertrend. i thought after 36 minutes of consolidation after a stronger-than market sell-off, I would see a reversal. No luck. Stopped out in 10 minutes.

Trade 2 was a break out below 150.25, and a late one at that. Took heat, but got to break even. Unfortunately, because I was long, I didn't clearly see the potential double bottom put in.

Trade 3 was done looking for a complex correction, which never materialized. Was out for the day. I had hesitated just 15 minutes earlier about getting long, but as price continued to trade through where I thought the pullback would go to, I changed my mind to short. I did have the bounce off the EMA21, after trading through the average at 9:03am.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	201200904VFC.png
Views:	191
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	87861  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

1 Winner, 2 Losers. Net -$4.

Trade 1 was intended to be a pullback. Price had put in a lower high and a lower low. I entered after an even lower high. Stopped out in bars.

Trade 2 was a test off of a recent intraday level. Even though it was followed by a lower low. I felt like the day would be range bound, and exited after a trendline had been broken.

Trade 3 was the first pullback after price reversed through the EMA21. It was apparent after a few bars that my entry had been a trap. Price never cleared the previous high, so i pulled out early.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	201200905VFC.png
Views:	194
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	88536  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

3 losers. Net -$80.

Trade 1 was taken near the bottom of a triangle, a pullback after a higher low (but also preceded by a lower high). When price failed to carry higher, I dropped out at break even.

Trade 2 was a breakout, suspecting that I had gotten direction wrong on the previous trade. After price broker through the low of the previous swing point, I went short. Was stopped out in a few bars.

Trade 3 was intended to be a test of a previous intraday swing point. A curious position to take after the strength that price showed in the prior 5 bars going into the "set up." Stopped out.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	201200906VFC.png
Views:	183
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	88537  

bijeremiad 
San Francisco, CA

1 winner, 3 losers. $56.

Trade 1 was a trade off of a pullback, but was late enough it looks more like a breakout. It was also done very close to a resistance point. Should have been more defensive with resistance so close. Stopped out.

Trade 2 was a break out trade after price didn't go past prior days' resistance. Although the trade was countertrend. I didn't give the trade much space and stopped out at BE.

Trade 3 was a flip around after a higher low suggested the trend was up after all, but it didn't move very fast, so I bailed at BE.

Trade 4 was a pullback off the EMA21. Moved my stop once but trade was in my favor for most of the time. Held to the close.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	201200907VFC.png
Views:	182
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	88614  

Last Updated on March 10, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts