NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Pajot's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Pajot with 132 posts (24 thanks)
    2. looks_two aquarian1 with 10 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 nakachalet with 8 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 6 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Hotch with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two nakachalet with 0.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 aquarian1 with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Pajot with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 20,999 views
    2. thumb_up 37 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 161 posts
    2. attach_file 119 attachments

Search this Thread

Pajot's Trading Journal

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

Pajot View Post
... I like the idea of having an open mind and try things. You should see my code and how many things are configurable, how many signals disabled, code commented, etc.

I like the delay idea and it is on my list to try as soon as possible.

I am honestly and openly asking for ideas, I am no "know it all", and I am very willing to listen and learn. I love doing this and it is a lot more fun when we're bouncing ideas around.

Hi Pajot,

Thanks for sharing your ideas in your journal.

(I guess I'll have to learn how to code and try out my crazy ideas! LOL )

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 Pajot 
Toronto, ON

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 38

I have the chart at the end of the day, but am deep into coding now, brain smashing, tough stuff. Can't see straight anymore, as I am working on some failure in the logic for horizontal lines. I will get back with the trades at a later time, but it seems some of the winning ones today were caused by the problem with the orphaned OCO stop and target orders. I will try to run a replay once the I can compile the code again.

Enjoy the chart:

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 Pajot 
Toronto, ON

Done with the code for today. Some things have been bugging me for a long time (hehe, bugs, but no pun intended) and I couldn't put them off anymore. Pending more tests, I am done with those particular issues, I can compile, and replay is over. I like that I am on plus, but it's only one day. Oh, I should rerun replay with the manual line I added today to have comparable charts and results close to the live session.

I will post chart and trades in the morning.

I also had 2 live trades today. One QM with 2 ticks drawdown, 18 ticks potential profit, but eventually stopped at break-even. The other one was 1 ES point.

Thanked by:
 Pajot 
Toronto, ON

Pajot View Post
Done with the code for today. Some things have been bugging me for a long time (hehe, bugs, but no pun intended) and I couldn't put them off anymore. Pending more tests, I am done with those particular issues, I can compile, and replay is over. I like that I am on plus, but it's only one day. Oh, I should rerun replay with the manual line I added today to have comparable charts and results close to the live session.

I will post chart and trades in the morning.

I also had 2 live trades today. One QM with 2 ticks drawdown, 18 ticks potential profit, but eventually stopped at break-even. The other one was 1 ES point.

As promissed, the chart and the trades:

Thanked by:
 Pajot 
Toronto, ON

Only three trades so far, 2 x 1 point loss, 1 point profit. The indicator keeps me out for most of today, one of the reason being the lack of respect for the EMA(20) and unusually long moves in one direction. I will update with the end of the day later.

Pajot 
Toronto, ON

No more trades after the last post, mainly because of the small ATR. I have reinstated the exception that keeps me out of the market if the average of the last few bars is below 1 point. I am going to make a change now, to include the size of the current bar, so I take advantage of moves that happen now, after a few slow/small bars. Very small and effective change, that would have gotten me in at the bottom of bar 76, for instance.

Here are the details:

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,174
Thanks Received: 101,539

Congratulations on your journal!

In the spirit of our March Trading Journal contest, I am asking everyone to spend a few minutes and share their journaling experience.

A) What are the top five benefits you have seen as a result of regularly posting in this journal?

B) What are the top five problem areas you have identified as a result of regularly posting in this journal?

C) Were you initially reluctant to start this trading journal? If yes, why?

D) How do you feel, overall, about your journaling experience?

E) Would you recommend to others that they should also start a trading journal?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate your posts, and I hope you have benefited from your journal. I also know that others will benefit as well, just by reading about your own experiences.

Enjoy your weekend,
Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Pajot 
Toronto, ON

Big Mike View Post

In the spirit of our March Trading Journal contest, I am asking everyone to spend a few minutes and share their journaling experience.

A) What are the top five benefits you have seen as a result of regularly posting in this journal?

1. Because my thoughts are in almost numeric and algorithmic form when I go for long stretches of coding, being "forced" to share and maybe explain the results in English brings the extra clarity I find useful. It also forces me to go sequentially through what I am doing and "translate" for someone who has no idea about the details. Still, I am sure I can do a better job explaining and this is a start.

2. I was hoping for a lot more interaction, interest, dialogs, bouncing ideas, learning from the best around here. Huge thanks to aquarian1 and Big Mike who, on a few occasions, have shown interest in what I was writing in my journal.

I still think that having feedback from others is a major benefit for more interesting or more "thanks" friendly journals. I feel the number of "thanks" is a currency around here and it took me a while to understand. A bit silly if people contribute only with the expectation that the "thanks" button is pressed. I was saying "THANKS" in my posts and I thought that was more valuable. Oh, well... Human nature is interesting and futures.io (formerly BMT), on top of other extraordinary benefits for traders, also delivers the ego boosting features we can find in social media.

3. I am supposed to journal my activity even without participating in the March challenge, which I have not done consistently before this month. Therefore, since I consider every single trader should journal and review every single day, this is another major benefit. futures.io (formerly BMT) is a good platform for it, readily available online, and I am finding myself going back to my posts to see certain details of the days I have posted, instead of turning on my laptop and see the files there.

4. The need to improve more because the performance is now in the public eye. Well, you may say this is the egotistical monkey speaking. While I am not feeling any pressure to come up with huge profits, have no problem with bad results and still follow my plan, it is a bit useless not to take all these opportunities to learn every day, adjust and correct things, so the posts have an impact.

5. Introduce myself and what I do to the traders' community. I have been doing things on my own, without much thought to all the people who are in the same business, working hard every day, sharing my dreams, goals, suffering, despair, hopes... Well, it is very nice to meet you all; this is me, part of this community, and I am here to stay and improve, even contribute here and there if anyone is interested!

Thanked by:

nakachalet 
siam, west coast andaman sea

Experience: Master
Platform: ninja
Trading: gc, cl, tf, 6e

personally, i visited your journal several times, but just did not stop to leave any message.

take heart, my trading friend, there are many who care but just could not squeeze out additional time to express their opinion just yet, K?

keep up the journal, it is a stepping stone to higher level of trading, unless of course you already have a copy of your broker's daily summary on hand electronically, then daily journal perhaps would be redundant.

do not give up just yet, alright, friend?

cheers up, and three cheers for you and your efforts.

Pajot View Post
1. Because my thoughts are in almost numeric and algorithmic form when I go for long stretches of coding, being "forced" to share and maybe explain the results in English brings the extra clarity I find useful. It also forces me to go sequentially through what I am doing and "translate" for someone who has no idea about the details. Still, I am sure I can do a better job explaining and this is a start.

2. I was hoping for a lot more interaction, interest, dialogs, bouncing ideas, learning from the best around here. Huge thanks to aquarian1 and Big Mike who, on a few occasions, have shown interest in what I was writing in my journal.

I still think that having feedback from others is a major benefit for more interesting or more "thanks" friendly journals. I feel the number of "thanks" is a currency around here and it took me a while to understand. A bit silly if people contribute only with the expectation that the "thanks" button is pressed. I was saying "THANKS" in my posts and I thought that was more valuable. Oh, well... Human nature is interesting and nexusfi.com (formerly BMT), on top of other extraordinary benefits for traders, also delivers the ego boosting features we can find in social media.

3. I am supposed to journal my activity even without participating in the March challenge, which I have not done consistently before this month. Therefore, since I consider every single trader should journal and review every single day, this is another major benefit. nexusfi.com (formerly BMT) is a good platform for it, readily available online, and I am finding myself going back to my posts to see certain details of the days I have posted, instead of turning on my laptop and see the files there.

4. The need to improve more because the performance is now in the public eye. Well, you may say this is the egotistical monkey speaking. While I am not feeling any pressure to come up with huge profits, have no problem with bad results and still follow my plan, it is a bit useless not to take all these opportunities to learn every day, adjust and correct things, so the posts have an impact.

5. Introduce myself and what I do to the traders' community. I have been doing things on my own, without much thought to all the people who are in the same business, working hard every day, sharing my dreams, goals, suffering, despair, hopes... Well, it is very nice to meet you all; this is me, part of this community, and I am here to stay and improve, even contribute here and there if anyone is interested!

Pajot 
Toronto, ON

Big Mike View Post

B) What are the top five problem areas you have identified as a result of regularly posting in this journal?

The problems are mostly technical and there are plenty of items I identified and worked on this month. I know exactly where I stand as a trader, what my issues are, what I have to fix. Of course, I am sure only about what I know already and can't predict what I will find out as I move ahead.

In my posts, I have explained some of the things on the technical side, there are plenty more, and I don't see much sense in detailing in a list here.

I can't be trusted to trade manually yet, at least not for a living. I know I can be consistently profitable and I am for the last two years, even if in small absolute amounts. I can say what I see my problems being very common and shared by many traders:

1. Fear of trading. Since I have been watching the market for a few hours a day, tick by tick, for a few years now, I focus a lot on all the bad scenarios that may happen starting from the current tick, so I try to take into account the worst at any time. I am more on the side of waiting than trading.

2. Once in a trade with real money, everything changes. I can't see or think straight anymore and no, I am not turning gay . I become very biased for the direction I am in and find all sort of excuses to stay in trades that are not promising anymore.

3. I want my trading to be perfect because I can't withstand drawdown, hence my inclination towards the technical side, the measurements, the calculations. I am very accurate when I eventually enter, but trading is not about that. It is against my nature to take trades and let the market decide what happens with them, which is contradicting how the market actually works. This is one of my biggest flaws and I have a hunch my indicator will not offer me the 100% I seek. I think having the indicator doing the trading for me is acceptable. Once I know my code can be profitable, I don't need to suffer with each trade, so it's fine.

4. It is very hard for me to use stops. Once I am in for a few ticks profit, the drawdown can be any amount. I rationalize all sort of scenarios that make it acceptable to have a huge drawdown because I can double down and figure out a solution out of it later. Of course, I still get scared and get out at break-even when the market comes around. -$4.02 per contract became my signature trade . I have gotten out of big drawdowns by entering with the second contract at the perfect point, but that's not how I want to trade. I hate to be in the market and see it going against me: it makes me unhappy.

5. Not sure what should go to the 5th... Maybe that I care so much about every single dollar and I don't find it acceptable to lose. A while ago, I started making analogies between driving and trading and I have a long list of nice ones. The last one that popped into my head was about blowing your account and say it is part of learning. Well, the equivalent for a new driver is totaling the car, which I don't find it acceptable. I don't have money to risk or lose. Again, I am clear that this is fiction and not how the market works, but I will eventually make enough from very small trades to start risking more. I see no other way.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 30, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts