NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trade The Value Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Conal with 69 posts (10 thanks)
    2. looks_two nakachalet with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 2 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 11,376 views
    2. thumb_up 16 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 76 posts
    2. attach_file 128 attachments

Search this Thread

Trade The Value Trading Journal

Conal
Boston, MA

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 11

Lessons for Wednesday 3/28/12

3 Trades: Only take a maximum of three trades per day per symbol. You can take (1) LTRbo (2) LTRre (3) VARet.

First Hour: No trading the first hour of the pit open of the symbol. Based on a review of performance (see screen shots), taking trades during A & B periods = 52 trades, -77.5 points. Taking trades C period and later = 88 trades +126.3 points.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Performance All Periods 2012-03-28 at 7.06.05 PM.png
Views:	216
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	68220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Performance No C Period + 2012-03-28 at 8.00.15 PM.png
Views:	201
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	68221  

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Conal
Boston, MA

Market Prep for Thursday 3/29/12

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen shot 2012-03-29 at 8.58.19 AM.png
Views:	206
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	68223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-03-29 at 8.58.29 AM.png
Views:	178
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	68224  
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

Congratulations on your journal!

In the spirit of our March Trading Journal contest, I am asking everyone to spend a few minutes and share their journaling experience.

A) What are the top five benefits you have seen as a result of regularly posting in this journal?

B) What are the top five problem areas you have identified as a result of regularly posting in this journal?

C) Were you initially reluctant to start this trading journal? If yes, why?

D) How do you feel, overall, about your journaling experience?

E) Would you recommend to others that they should also start a trading journal?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate your posts, and I hope you have benefited from your journal. I also know that others will benefit as well, just by reading about your own experiences.

Enjoy your weekend,
Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Conal
Boston, MA

Trade Screen Shots for Thursday 3/29/12 and Friday 3/30/12

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GC b-Shape 2012-03-30 at 11.53.00 AM.png
Views:	201
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	68510   Click image for larger version

Name:	ZB 2012-03-30 at 8.06.48 AM.png
Views:	230
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	68511   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 2012-03-30 at 8.07.16 AM.png
Views:	225
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	68512   Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 2012-03-30 at 8.10.32 AM.png
Views:	224
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	68513  
Conal
Boston, MA

Trading Journal and Quick Monthly Review for Thursday 3/29/12 and Friday 3/30/12

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen shot 2012-03-31 at 5.01.30 PM.png
Views:	215
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	68514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-03-31 at 5.09.42 PM.png
Views:	228
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	68515  
Conal
Boston, MA

Lessons for Thursday 3/29/12 and Friday 3/30/12

Over Trading: I watched a webinar by Tom Alexander in which he recommended following a variety of markets in order to find the best opportunities. I agree with this over philosophy, however, I think I implemented it poorly. I was taking way too many trades. 8 trades on Thursday and 13 on Friday. We need to cut down on the number of trades, therefore:

Rule Update: Only 2 trade setups:
(1)Profile.305: Based on current market condition of the 30m 5m TPO profile, enter on close market order. Minimum 3:1 reward to risk.
(2)Value Break Out: If value is rising with average volume, enter long @ DPOC limit. Vice versa for short.

Conal
Boston, MA

Big Mike View Post
Congratulations on your journal!

In the spirit of our March Trading Journal contest, I am asking everyone to spend a few minutes and share their journaling experience.

A) What are the top five benefits you have seen as a result of regularly posting in this journal?

B) What are the top five problem areas you have identified as a result of regularly posting in this journal?

D) How do you feel, overall, about your journaling experience?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I appreciate your posts, and I hope you have benefited from your journal. I also know that others will benefit as well, just by reading about your own experiences.

Enjoy your weekend,
Mike

1) Evolution: I feel like I have evolved as a trader. I know much more about what I like and can do well versus what I don't like and don't do well. I don't like trading a lot during the day, I'd much rather take 1 or 2 ideal setups. Therefore, I don't like using tick charts or small minute charts. However, I do like getting updates on strong volume and price movement when it happens. Therefore, I like to watch the volume on a 5 minute chat to catch changes. I use a 30 minute profile (5 minute TPO) to monitor the value development. I take setups off this chart. I monitor daily and weekly charts for overall market sentiment.
2) Screen Shots: I had never taken screen shots, or annotated charts before. It has been a huge benefit. I think you become more aware of the market condition by commenting on charts as they develop.
3) Trading Journal: It been awhile since I used my excell trading journal. I had been writing in notebooks and doing rough analysis by hand. You can dig much deeper with a spreadsheet journal. I have been able to brake down my trading.
(1) I found I was not profitable trading in the first hour of the pit session.
(2) I am taking way too many trades.
(3) I have been able to increase my profits by adapting my style to better suite my strengths and minimize my weaknesses.
4) Doing the Work: I think a big part of success is showing up, doing the work. By keeping a journal, having a plan, being honest with your results, you will improve. If you don't know what your preferences are and what your strengths are you cannot adapt.
5) Confidence: I am proud of the hard work I've done and the progress I've made. If I can make this much progress every month then I will be in good shape. Trading is a marathon not a sprint.
1) Over Trading: I was taking way too many trades. I even felt overwhelmed trying to keep up with the signals.
2) First Hour: I was not profitable in the first hour of trading.
3) Analysis: I was monitoring and recording data that I didn't need to. I focused more on annotating charts rather then notebooks.
4) Charts: I had been using tick charts and shorter minute time frame charts for signals. However, my personality/style is better suited for longer time frame minute charts.
5) Consistency: I was more consistent with journaling and doing my home work this month than any previous month I can remember.
I was excited about the challenge. I think my biggest hurdle was consistency and getting back to a spreadsheet journal. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I got frustrated entering the trades into the spreadsheet. Most likely because I was losing and didn't want to "relive" the "failure" over again. Now I look at it as an opportunity to learn something about myself and therefore my trading and improve.
My experience as been enlightening. I have learned so much about myself and my trading. I have made huge adjustments and improvements. I hope I can make as much progress in the future as I've made this month. It has also shown me that doing the work produces results.
Absolutely! Every professional trader I've heard keeps a journal. If a group of people who are successful are all doing the same thing, you probably should be doing it. It produces results, it's that simple.
Lastly, I was not a member of Big Mike Trading before this challenge. I'm glad I did and I'm grateful the form is here, Thank you!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 31, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts