NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Ollie's Cloud Formations

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ollie with 25 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 CerberusFX with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 7,236 views
    2. thumb_up 17 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 28 posts
    2. attach_file 23 attachments

Search this Thread

Ollie's Cloud Formations

ollie 
St. Petersburg, Fl

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: CQG
Trading: ES,NQ, YM, CL,6E
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 233

Come on admit, how many times have you looked up at the clouds and saw an elephant, a dog running or a clown face?

This is my journal on learning ichimoku. When I first started trading five years ago I came across this system, however I did not have the knowledge base to understand it. A line that is displaced back, lines that form a forward cloud, at times a very cluttered chart.

I have bounced around from one indicator to another, one system or method to another. I have always tried to keep it simple. I have never understood how people have several indicators on the chart and in panels, by the time all are in agreement the trade past you by. This is what drew me back to ichimoku, its simplicity.

I have a simple way of trading now, and I will post a picture of it. As you gain more experience and confidence your style and method of trading changes as well. I still look to keep it as simple as possible.

I am a retired business owner. I operated a restaurant for 22 years. It takes its toll on you working every night, weekend and holiday, not to mention the 100 hours a week I put in. It can be very stressfull at times. I had 55 employees who have 55 attitudes, deliveries that are late, people who are always trying to get somethimg for free. It all took its toll. I sold when I started to hate going to work.

I retired when I was 42. I joined two country clubs, traveled, bought a sailboat, I did the retirement thing. It was my money manager who suggested I take some funds and learn how to invest it. This lead to learning about stocks, which lead to forex trading, which lead to futures trading.

My investor personality is conservative. I worked hard for my money and have always protected it. This is my emotional baggage that I deal with every trade. I can't tell you how many times I have been stopped out only to have the trade go on to be a winner.

This is me in a nut shell. I did make two trades on 6E today, both winners. I will post charts. The trades will be in SIM as I am new to ichimoku.

Keep things as simple as possible, but no simplier. Albert Einstein

If you can't explain it to an eight year old it's to complicated
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

ollie 
St. Petersburg, Fl

Here are my two trades on 6E. The first trade I thought was a good entry. The second trade was not a good ichimoku trade as the red line was still below the blue. It did feel good to have winning trades, a little success builds confidence.

Two trades +20 pips. I usually only go for small trades. I would rather hit a single and get on base than always swing for a big winner. Again I know my investor personality is conservative.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E 03-12 (5 RangeNoGap)  3_1_2012.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	64418  
Thanked by:

ollie 
St. Petersburg, Fl

Overall I felt vert good about this set up. I watched Manesh Patel's seminar again last night, and this was the same set up he used. For know I will keep the indicators in the lower panels, it gives me that extra confirmation during the learning process.

I know ichomoku is a trend method and becomes clear where the trades are when price is trending. It can be confusing when all the lines clutter up the chart.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E 03-12 (5 RangeNoGap)  3_2_2012.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	64496  

ollie 
St. Petersburg, Fl

I lost 5 ticks on this trade. I do not trade oil, I thought it would offer more opportunity to take trades and practice on.

All the elements looked fine and a good set up. I was looking for it to continue down. Overall I felt confident going into the trade. It made a lower high and I thought it would follow through.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 04-12 (5 RangeNoGap)  3_2_2012.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	64539  

ollie 
St. Petersburg, Fl

My second trade. When price broke the cloud I waited for it to retrace back to trend line. Placed my order and waited for it to follow through. I feel like I am following ichimoku rules, however at this point I think even if a set up is valid that it can still lead to a false breakout signal.

Today I went 2 for 3 in trades. +10 pips on 6E, two trades on CL for a +5 ticks.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 04-12 (5 RangeNoGap)  3_2_2012 x.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	64552  

ollie 
St. Petersburg, Fl

Over the weekend I read many articles and looked at examples of how traders use ichimoku. If you ask 100 people what they trade and how they do it you will get 100 different answers and none of them are wrong. Same with ichimoku. Even the two experts who did seminars on futures.io (formerly BMT) interpret it differently. The youtube videos I watched all had different ways of using it as well.

Since I usually try to get 10 pips from a trade I wanted to come up with settings that would offer more set up opportunities. I felt if I miss a trade at 3AM or miss an opportunity to reenter a trend I had alot of time wasted waiting for a setup.

This week I will use the settings of 8, 21, 34. I read an article by a forex trader who uses these settings for day trading, oddly they are all fib numbers.

Today I went 4 for 4 a totle of +40 pips. I followed Manesh Patel's cloud break set up of price breaking the cloud, red line, than blue line and the lagging span confirming. I stll used the macd and stoc for confirmation as well.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E 03-12 (5 RangeNoGap)  3_5_2012.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	64942  
Thanked by:

ollie 
St. Petersburg, Fl

I usually do not trade time based bars as they tend to be choppy looking at the chart. I like using range no gap as they tend to make the chart smoother and easier for me to trade. However I was looking at a 5M chart and saw the kijun and tenkan cross under the cloud and entered that trade based on that cross.

So far I like using ichimoku, however I know I am not using it to my full advantage. So much of the information I read conflicts with each other on its usage and interpretation I am not sure what to believe.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E 03-12 (5 Min)  3_6_2012.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	65112  

ollie 
St. Petersburg, Fl

I did not make any trades today. I was just going over todays charts looking for ichi setups. Here are three that were on Euro.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E 03-12 (6 RangeNoGap)  3_7_2012.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	65338  

ollie 
St. Petersburg, Fl

First trade today. Continuation of trend. Is there a possible pull back or trend reversal in the works. Look at thinning of cloud and price closed below kijun line.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E 03-12 (5 RangeNoGap)  3_8_2012.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	65452  

Last Updated on July 1, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts