NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Ward's EUR/USD spot fx journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one thewardiknowof with 59 posts (36 thanks)
    2. looks_two trendisyourfriend with 18 posts (25 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 6 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 loeser with 3 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Nicolas11 with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two trendisyourfriend with 1.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 thewardiknowof with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,154 views
    2. thumb_up 72 thanks given
    3. group 6 followers
    1. forum 89 posts
    2. attach_file 82 attachments

Search this Thread

Ward's EUR/USD spot fx journal

thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MT4, Tradingview
Broker: ThinkForex
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 200
Thanks Received: 51

Trend was down all day today with a range for my entire trading session. Price had exceeded average daily range and put in a bottom at 0920.

As this was when I began my live assessment, I felt price would be likely not move much lower, when in fact it did not go lower at all. I also felt it was unlikely to see a move beyond 1.3079 which it never even reached.

Thus overall I had expected price to do more or less what it did. My defined range I expected for my session was 1.3035-1.3079.

With the long weekend here in Canada I will likely not be opening charts tomorrow, so I expect that I will not post to my journal either. I will take some time for study and review.

Happy Easter to all.

Christ is risen!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 trend FD.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	69027  
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Got some sort of flu on Friday, been out of commission. No trading, no posts, no watching charts often no going online. Lord willing I will be back at it tomorrow if my heads clear enough.

thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Feeling confused about a lot of trading things today.

Do I really understand Future Trend Direction?
Appears I, as has been suggested before by trendisyourfriend, am wanting to change my bias of trend direction too quickly and too often.

The trouble I am finding is, I am unsure of where to actually make the change. I am unsure of how to identify trend anymore. I am unsure of how I can learn this and what exercises or drills I can do to practice and improve. I am unsure of how to grade or rank myself to see if I am improving and how to set procedure goals in this area.

I will review my notes, my journals, my plan and the books I have used to come up with my current plan this evening in an attempt to come up with a concrete plan of action for my growth and improvement in determining future trend direction.

The discouragement is becoming overwhelming.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,239
Thanks Received: 101,662

I encourage you to start with the simplest of things, and also start with a minimal amount of things.

So pick one, perhaps two, simple ideas within your trading you want to focus and improve on. Try to be specific. For example, maybe you need to work on not moving your stop. Big post it note "Do NOT move stop under any circumstances, ever, period, for any reason!"

Perhaps you want to work on not over trading, post it note: "Do not take more than 3 trades no matter what!".

If you lack confidence in your methodology, then it can be any number of things, but here are most common ones:

a) You have not researched, backtested and most importantly forward tested your method. Until you have a large forward tested sample size, it is impossible to have much confidence.

b) Your methodology is discretionary, but you treat it mechanically trying to remove all emotion and feel for the market.

c) Your methodology is overly complex, and impossible to execute on.

d) You are trading with money you cannot afford to lose.

e) You are not focusing, but instead are on the phone, surfing the web, watching TV, listening to a trade room, etc.

f) You are reading other traders opinions on the market, then getting confused about your own opinions.

There are solutions for each of these. First step is to identify what problem areas exist in your trading, then slowly tackle them one at a time.

As for grading, I use a simple "A-F" grading principle. The grade has nothing to do with the net profit of the day. If your goal was to not take more than 3 trades, then if you took 2 or 3 then perhaps you deserve an A. If you took 5, you deserve an F.

Keep focusing on just one or two items every single day (same items) until you have a long string of A's, at which point you can move on and add a new item.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,176
Thanks Received: 6,020

Big Mike View Post
...Keep focusing on just one or two items every single day (same items) until you have a long string of A's, at which point you can move on and add a new item.

Mike

I think this is what he is trying to do by focusing his attention on means to identify the market direction. So far, he seems to be doing fine but he could clarify what he thinks is not going well.

thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

The biggest thing I see as an issue is that I really am uncertain whether I am making progress in identifying the future direction. It appears to me I am still changing my direction bias to frequently. This is also the area I am having a difficult time grading. Looking over my plan, notes, books etc. I am thinking if at the end of the day when I review where I noted direction change if was correct (in hindsight) on all changes, if I missed no changes, if I kept from adding unwarranted changes I receive an A. For each area listed I err I drop a grade. To move to another section/area of my trading to work on I must receive consistent A's (80%+ over minimum of five days).

Reviewing I feel has been a help and just thinking these things over. Tomorrow I will begin my grading of my live future direction assessment.

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,176
Thanks Received: 6,020

thewardiknowof View Post
The biggest thing I see as an issue is that I really am uncertain whether I am making progress in identifying the future direction. It appears to me I am still changing my direction bias to frequently. This is also the area I am having a difficult time grading. Looking over my plan, notes, books etc. I am thinking if at the end of the day when I review where I noted direction change if was correct (in hindsight) on all changes, if I missed no changes, if I kept from adding unwarranted changes I receive an A. For each area listed I err I drop a grade. To move to another section/area of my trading to work on I must receive consistent A's (80%+ over minimum of five days).

Reviewing I feel has been a help and just thinking these things over. Tomorrow I will begin my grading of my live future direction assessment.

Mike posted a comment in another thread that might help you in this department.

Thanked by:
 thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

My overall assessment of future direction went well today and I give myself an A.

The NY session started in a downtrend and after about 40 min my bias was sideways/range.

0945 my trend bias changed to down.
1020 trend changed to up, price having been accepted above the 50% retracement from low to downtrend line.
1035 I felt confidence in uptrend as price was accepted above previous sideways area.
1140 direction bias again down. Price accepted below 50% retracement from high to uptrend line.
1150 direction confirmed with price being accepted below the uptrend line.

Looking at an hourly chart I would have said price future direction was sideways for the entire period. Also the two times I marked trend confirmations were more for my own confidence while assessing the future trend live.

Comments specifically about the change of direction from down to up and the price action from about 10-11 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanked by:
 loeser 
Belgium/Antwerp

Platform: Metatrader4
Trading: Eur/Usd, s&p, DAX, DOW
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 11

I'm new here and try to write in English.

2 trades short at the moment based on the 123RH
Step in on the 5' chart.

1 short @ 13111

2/3 out on 21( 1.3090) pips and let runner go.
SL just above the 38.2% retrace. Stopped out

2 short @ 1.3103

2/3 out on 1.3084 and runner must do his job.
SL on 1.3095

It seems like we gonne touch the 61.8% retrace from 1.2995 to 1.3175
When we take this out we go back to 1.2995

Eur/Usd is bearish at the moment.

loeser 
Belgium/Antwerp

Platform: Metatrader4
Trading: Eur/Usd, s&p, DAX, DOW
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 11

Turning on 1.3075 ?
Anybody has something here ?

Last Updated on May 14, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts