NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Ward's EUR/USD spot fx journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one thewardiknowof with 59 posts (36 thanks)
    2. looks_two trendisyourfriend with 18 posts (25 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 6 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 loeser with 3 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Nicolas11 with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two trendisyourfriend with 1.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 thewardiknowof with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,038 views
    2. thumb_up 72 thanks given
    3. group 6 followers
    1. forum 89 posts
    2. attach_file 82 attachments

Search this Thread

Ward's EUR/USD spot fx journal

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

thewardiknowof, the LTF chart looks much better to my eyes at least. Regarding the exit for part two i agree, there was a much better place to exit to preserve your profit when signs of weakness made their apparition on the sell side. About your S/R lines, how do you proceed to identify these levels ? Are you using swing highs and lows only ? Looking at your longer term chart it's not clear ? With Oanda can you use anything else than minute chart ? Can you use tick or range chart or Point & Figure chart with their main platform ?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MT4, Tradingview
Broker: ThinkForex
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 200
Thanks Received: 51

trendisyourfriend View Post
... About your S/R lines, how do you proceed to identify these levels ? Are you using swing highs and lows only ? Looking at your longer term chart it's not clear ? With Oanda can you use anything else than minute chart ? Can you use tick or range chart or Point & Figure chart with their main platform ?

To identify S/R lines you are correct, I only use swing highs and lows. I do leave the lines in place if price stalls there but does move through them.

As for Oanda's main platform, it is very basic/simplistic. There are only time based charts and even those are rather limited. I have chosen them to use as I learn as I am able to trade live with very, very small size, thus keeping my losses to a minimum while learning and still having some "skin in the game".

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Two trades today:

Trade one: LONG
Entry:1.32337
STOP: 1.32237
T1: 1.32447
T2: 1.32737

The trend just changed from down to sideways. I used a TST setup noticed on TTF then switched to LTF and used a 123 bottom to trigger my entry. This was a narrow sideways range from about 1.3225-1.3252. The trade began to head up, when I saw on the LTF that it started to reverse (about 9 min into the trade) fear took over me and I moved my STOP to b/e. I then was stopped out for a scratch trade. In hindsight, entry, initial stop and targets were all properly placed. Good trade idea, poor trade management.
RESULTS= 0 pips

Trade two: SHORT
Entry:1.32684
STOP: 1.32810
T1: 1.32558
T2: 1.32334

Price moved up to what I considered TTF resistance and pulled back. Then approached again and I incorrectly determined price was not in an uptrend but a larger trading range from about 1.3225-1.3278. At this point I again used a TST setup on TTF with a lower time frame trigger of doji/double top. I achieved target one(+12 pips) and moved the stop to b/e +1 and was eventually stopped out here (+1 pip). This was done again out of fear and not because of my plan. It is my plan at this point to trail using TTF swing highs and lows. This trade I consider invalid as I misinterpreted the price action and trend while live. In hindsight it would have been a valid counter-trend PB trade in which I would have had only one target again placed at T1.
RESULTS= +13 pips

Any comments, recommendations, or suggestions on better trade management or on my trades /journal in general are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks to @trendisyourfriend for the comments and suggestions. I am grateful for the help.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8 HTF.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	65612   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 TTF.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	65613   Click image for larger version

Name:	8 LTF-Oanda.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	65614  
 thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

One trades today:

Trade: SHORT
Entry:1.31290
STOP: 1.31470
T1: 1.31120
T2: 1.31050

There was a steady down trend. I used the BPB setup observed on TTF, then switched to LTF and the shooting star followed by a two candle gravestone doji triggered my entry. Withing five minutes
T1 was achieved (+17 pips) and stop moved to 1.31360. After another 21 min, I moved the stop to b/e +1 (not in my plan). Part two of the trade was then stopped out 34 min into the trade (+1 pips).
RESULTS= +18 pips

I stopped trading early today. I really need some sleep as per my trading plan. Will review the weeks trading and post my goal for next week tomorrow, LORD willing.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9 HTF.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	65723   Click image for larger version

Name:	9 TTF.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	65724   Click image for larger version

Name:	9 LTF-Oanda.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	65725  
Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

thewardiknowof,

I placed some notes on the image attached to this post hoping it might help you in assessing the trend. I have also noted that you may be a bit too quick to identify a change of trend. You may probably consider a break of a Higher Low in an uptrend as a change of trend but the overall context may propose a different reading.

I use the Fibonacci tool to help me when i am unsure if the recent swing just broken is enough to consider a change of my bias from up to down or vice versa. In the present case, the use of a rising trendline was a big help along with finding the middle point between the highest high and the rising trendline to gauge if a change of bias was pertinent at this point in time. I would have considered a change of my bias only if price was unable to be accepted above this middle point.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhenToConsiderAChangeOfTrend.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	65754  
 thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

trendisyourfriend,

Thank you very much!! You have gone above and beyond and I truly appreciate your help.

This makes a lot of sense and the image with your notes is very clear. A question I have regarding trend, how do you define and identify sideways ranges? I understand and think how you identify up and down trends and will implement the ideas into my analysis. Very, very helpful.

thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Goal for trading week of March 12-16

Implement STOPs according to plan without deviating for every trade, every day this week.

Place the initial STOP two pips beyond previous SH (swing high) or SL (swing low) on TTF. Then adjust or move two pips beyond subsequent TTF SHs/SLs.

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Your welcome. For sideways price action i try to keep it very simple. Price moves in a step ladder fashion making a pause at each step. There is expansion in one direction and a period of rotation develops between two levels (a High and a Low point) where the middle point of this new area of balance gets fat and again expansion occurs in one direction. In short, we have expansion, balance, expansion, balance continuously on all timeframes.

What i usually focus my attention on are GAPS that form between areas of balance (see yellow ovales on image and blue rectangles). I consider a zone of balance is in development right after the most recent GAP is beginning to get filled with price and would mark the boundaries by considering the body of the candles only.

I would consider an expansion has occured only if price can clearly move away from a zone of balance by leaving a GAP behind. Such a GAP should be easily perceptible, that is, the first candle to break outside should have no overlap with subsequent candles up until the first bar that forms in the opposite direction. Hence the name GAP. These GAPs represent a strong imbalance in supply/demand and their boundaries may act as support/resistance. I oftentimes only trade when price revisits these areas of imbalance as they are easier to see on a chart (PnF chart are the best for this) even more so than trying to define regular lines of S/R at swing Highs/Lows which can be tricky at times or just too subjective.

Again, for defining an area of balance i only consider the body of the candles that falls within that zone. I find this approach a bit more permissive than considering a break of a swing High/Low as you do. Also, it prevents me from changing my bias too often without a good reason, ie, a strong reason to believe the forces of supply/demand have created an imbalance scenario important enough to see a potential change of polarity in the order flow.

thewardiknowof View Post
trendisyourfriend,

Thank you very much!! You have gone above and beyond and I truly appreciate your help.

This makes a lot of sense and the image with your notes is very clear. A question I have regarding trend, how do you define and identify sideways ranges? I understand and think how you identify up and down trends and will implement the ideas into my analysis. Very, very helpful.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WhenToConsiderAChangeOfTrend.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	65868  
 thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

One trade today:

Trade: SHORT
Entry:1.31253
STOP: 1.31353
T1: 1.31053
T2: 1.30553

I saw the a sideways range bound trend for most of the day. In my analysis price broke out to the upside near the end of my trading session. I took a TST setup observed on TTF, entering on an engulfing bar on the LTF for entry. Was stopped out after 28 minutes -20 pips.
RESULTS= -20 pips

Had a hard time getting in tune with the market, never felt comfortable all day.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12 HTF.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	66032   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 TTF.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	66033   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 LTF-Oanda.jpg
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	66034  
 thewardiknowof 
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Trendisyourfriend,

I tried marking up my TTF chart with what I learned from your suggestions for trend analysis. Today may not have been the best day for this although I would appreciate your feedback, if and when you have time. Also, I noticed the image you put up was the 15 min. Was there any particular reason? Would you recommend I use my TTF (5 min) to do this? One final question for now, how do you trade sideways days such as today? I look forward to your responses.

Thanks in advance,

Ward

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12 trend.jpg
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	66039  

Last Updated on May 14, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts