NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Price action chart lessons by Mack's PATS Trading (priceactiontradingsystem.com)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one trendisyourfriend with 10 posts (64 thanks)
    2. looks_two RichardHK with 5 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Trailer Guy with 5 posts (29 thanks)
    4. looks_4 erwinbeckers with 4 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Nicolas11 with 21 thanks per post
    2. looks_two shoozer with 8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 trendisyourfriend with 6.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Trailer Guy with 5.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 118,319 views
    2. thumb_up 315 thanks given
    3. group 876 followers
    1. forum 90 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Price action chart lessons by Mack's PATS Trading (priceactiontradingsystem.com)

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,174
Thanks Received: 6,019

Why do you think this system offers an edge? In what way does a second entry improve your odds of winning? The 2nd entry paradigm seems to be based on an arbitrary decision with no statistical evidence to back it.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks
 lrud1314 
new york city

Experience: Beginner
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 6

VinceVirgil View Post
That's exactly right.

My Slow Hand Method is from Al Brooks Price action Bar by Bar and Macks, Price Action Trading Systems adapted for the CL using the 800 tick chart.

But that being said, it is about trading the price action.

VV

Might be a silly question (apologies in advance if it is) is there any other supplemental reading to AL Brook and Mack?

I have been reading The Art and Science of Technical Analysis by Adam Grimes and its been great for overall market structure understanding but not for scalping exectutions.

I've also had difficulty getting through Price Action Bar by Bar - any tips there? i have heard that his live video lessons are a much more palatable representation of his ideas.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Cheers.

JMAL 
Houston Texas

Platform: NinjaTrader 7
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES, MES
Thanks Given: 79
Thanks Received: 74

trendisyourfriend View Post
Why do you think this system offers an edge? In what way does a second entry improve your odds of winning? The 2nd entry paradigm seems to be based on an arbitrary decision with no statistical evidence to back it.

Is there any statistical evidence in reading a language? 2nd entries is a trading plan for entries. After watching the market movement for years and learning the language of it, then you will see 2nd entries does offer an edge.

Follow your Plan
 crs247 
Bonn, Germany

Platform: NinjaTrader, MetaTrader
Trading: ES, 6E
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 14

It offers an advantage when used in an appropriate context. However recognizing the context is largely discretionary, which is the reason why the method looks simple but is difficult to implement.
In this way, I could take any chart pattern and turn it into a "system".

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

crs247 View Post
It offers an advantage when used in an appropriate context. However recognizing the context is largely discretionary, which is the reason why the method looks simple but is difficult to implement.
In this way, I could take any chart pattern and turn it into a "system".

I agree with you. If there is sufficient momentum and volatility, you can enter the market at any point and execute a successful trade, especially when supported by significant volume. There is no need to wait for a 2nd entry pattern. In fact, it can even make you miss a beautiful trade.

In my opinion, it is more a question of psychology. If the pattern comforts you, then it is okay. However, in itself, the pattern is meaningless.

Today is a good example of what i am trying to express. From 4:35AM (New York time) onward, you could have opened a trade anywhere to the long side and make a nice profit.

The 2nd entry pattern is not different than using a break out pattern. What counts is your ability to read the momentum, volatility and volume.

Thanked by:
 Tangotx 
Houston, TX

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Dorman
Trading: ES/RTY
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 44

The idea that a certain pattern gives you an edge could be claimed of just about any pattern. What moves the market is not patterns, as much as we would like to believe that. The market is moved by the auction... sometimes that matches a certain pattern, but is not the pattern what caused the move. I know that fans of patterns will not like to hear what I'm saying, but if we are honest with ourselves... we will come to the same conclusion.

P.S. Delta and volume are also key in determining price movement. If anything, that would give you an edge.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Fade 
New York City, New York

Thanks Given: 331
Thanks Received: 89

Tangotx View Post
The idea that a certain pattern gives you an edge could be claimed of just about any pattern. What moves the market is not patterns, as much as we would like to believe that. The market is moved by the auction... sometimes that matches a certain pattern, but is not the pattern what caused the move. I know that fans of patterns will not like to hear what I'm saying, but if we are honest with ourselves... we will come to the same conclusion.

P.S. Delta and volume are also key in determining price movement. If anything, that would give you an edge.

I agree that patterns don't move the market. It seems to me that the market's movement creates the patterns. Chart patterns are representations of human behavior (as well as human-programmed algos), and humans tend to respond to similar stimuli in similar ways. We also don't usually like to change very much as a species, which is why some classical chart patterns (behaviors) still show up in today's world. Of course, we can learn, and we can change, and I think that's why some patterns either stop working or develop quirks that require adaptation or rediscovery in order to trade them. Or not, I don't know. Just my opinion!

Thanked by:

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Thanks Given: 11,335
Thanks Received: 2,743

I agree with you. If there is sufficient momentum and volatility...
What counts is your ability to read the momentum, volatility and volume.

What indicators do you use to
Quoting 
read the momentum, volatility and volume

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

DavidHP View Post
What indicators do you use to

For that i just need to look at the bar size and volume compared to historical bars. Just look at today, do you need an indicator to gauge these factors ?

SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 182

I use an anchored VWAP (to RTH Open, and secondarily Globex open) to judge momo, vol and volume all in one.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 13, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts