NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Murrey Math

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 36 posts (150 thanks)
    2. looks_two Zambi with 15 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobc with 10 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Lmess with 10 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one joehickle with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Prtester with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 eDanny with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 223,973 views
    2. thumb_up 219 thanks given
    3. group 91 followers
    1. forum 253 posts
    2. attach_file 73 attachments

Search this Thread

Murrey Math

TI Anon 
Chicago,IL

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Amp Futures/TT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 16

dandxg View Post
Interesting. Thanks for your feedback. As someone once posted I don't know if he is crazy or crazy like a fox. The only thing I would take some exception with, since we all can agree Murrey is Gann based, Gann drew from swing high to low and the sectioned into to 8ths not just random.

You are right. The point I was trying to make is this:

If you draw 8 equidistant lines on a daily chart. And if you allow for 1/2 point of wiggle room + or - from each line to qualify as a hit. You come up with 8 points of possible "hit ticks". Now, if the instrument you're trading has a daily average range of, let's say 14 points(similar to the ES, for example), you have 4 in 7(almost 60%) chance of reversing on one of those "hit ticks" by pure probability.
No hocus pocus or Murrey Math.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

zcabin01
na

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I am still a little unsure on how to use Murrey Math. You mentioned to first learn what each MML means. But I don't really understand what you mean by stuff like "pivot reverse line", "fast reverse line", "major reverse line", etc.

I read the murrey.doc file you wrote, but I am still lost on how to trade based on this system. How do I know when to buy long, or when to sell short etc. I know for sure I have to sell short when 8/8, and buy long 0/8. But what do I do when its like at 2/8 or maybe 4/8?

msharp
CA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

zcabin01 View Post
I am still a little unsure on how to use Murrey Math. You mentioned to first learn what each MML means. But I don't really understand what you mean by stuff like "pivot reverse line", "fast reverse line", "major reverse line", etc.

I read the murrey.doc file you wrote, but I am still lost on how to trade based on this system. How do I know when to buy long, or when to sell short etc. I know for sure I have to sell short when 8/8, and buy long 0/8. But what do I do when its like at 2/8 or maybe 4/8?

My question about Murrey Math adds to the above and goes to anyone who is actually using Murrey Math. What markets have you found that it works with and what time frames have you found that it works with, if it really works? And has anyone figured out how to use the 5 circles that Murrey sometimes draws on his charts?

TI Anon 
Chicago,IL

I suggest you read Nicholas Taleb's book "Fooled by Randomness". In it he explains the pitfalls and outcomes associated with following trading strategies that have expectations no better than pure probability would account for.

As to Murrey Math: I studied it, traded it and realized its limitations. As to if it works, I'll just say, make sure you can recover from your losses if you intended on staying in the game.

cber68
Crystal Lake,IL

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

I am running Murray math on 3 min and 15 min with 5 and 24 lsma and 13,2 bbands exp with vwap. I suggest watching time spent at price levels. use the 3 min to go towards 15 min. I also use stoch 13,3 and acc/dist flow set2 14,1 DO NOT go against acc/dist flow but at turn move towards confluence onn 15 min. sounds like a lot but it seems to be fluid. Bband help recognize turn as well as stoch. Pull the trigger. Let mre know what you tink
cber68

cber68
Crystal Lake,IL

I agree totally with what you are saying. I look at it a bit different instead of the randomness of hitting the lines of course ATR will prove that in your time frame, it is a visual aid in price s/r levels and you can see price holding upper/lower areas when trying to shift at extremes. I use 0,4,8/8 and +/- 1,2/8. Of course prev day h/l/c and areas of s/r and pivots should be noted watch a three min and 4750 vol chart as well the bbands 13,2 exp. helps when they line up.

TI Anon 
Chicago,IL

cber68 View Post
I agree totally with what you are saying. I look at it a bit different instead of the randomness of hitting the lines of course ATR will prove that in your time frame, it is a visual aid in price s/r levels and you can see price holding upper/lower areas when trying to shift at extremes. I use 0,4,8/8 and +/- 1,2/8. Of course prev day h/l/c and areas of s/r and pivots should be noted watch a three min and 4750 vol chart as well the bbands 13,2 exp. helps when they line up.

Murrey Math helped me come to my senses and switch my focus and trading energy into the right direction-not because it worked but because it didn't.

After studying Murrey Math, I realized the fundamental nature and weakness of all price based technical analysis. As traders, we search for an 'edge'. If we use price based indicators, we look for some pattern that identifies important "decision points" on our charts. We convince ourselves the indicators have meaning to the market--creating, in our minds, a cause and effect relationship to price movement. When, in reality, they are only establishing a probability relationship with price.

Being successful using a probability based "edge" is different than using a true "cause and effect" one. Most find it difficult to just play the "odds"; our minds play tricks on us, finding patterns where none exist and creating excuses for why a pattern didn't work this time. We hunt for the "missing piece" in our setup...and on and on and on...... Until we run out of money or time.

Instead of finding true "cause and effect" patterns, most traders settle for the probability based ones and end up blowing out their accounts.

Thanked by:
cber68
Crystal Lake,IL

While that statements may sound correct I will disagree. It is price that dictates cause and effect confirmed by volume. Notice I am running a volume chart as well. I have also stated it is a good visual tool by no means the only way to trade in ones arsenal. If we are in a range market , it is absolutely NOT trading off cause and effect. Large firms are running algorithm programs and if you study it long enough they alternate their size and count. Market profile states it best price will gravitate towards areas to facilitate trade. All indicators fail. Confluence is an important factor. I can trade a price chart with no indicators and not have an issue making money. It is the trader not the system. If a trader wants to spend some time on research try measured moves and drawing channels

Jura   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,352
Thanks Received: 690

TI Anon View Post
(...)
Being successful using a probability based "edge" is different than using a true "cause and effect" one. Most find it difficult to just play the "odds"; our minds play tricks on us, finding patterns where none exist and creating excuses for why a pattern didn't work this time. We hunt for the "missing piece" in our setup...and on and on and on...... Until we run out of money or time.

Instead of finding true "cause and effect" patterns, most traders settle for the probability based ones and end up blowing out their accounts.

Thanks for your comment TI Anon, this is quite insightful and also quite true I think. However, the big problem off course is how we can determine what is "true cause and effect" and what is "probability". Any thoughts on this?

Big Mike View Post
I don't think a post ever says what MML line to buy or sell at and that is the end of it. MML's are meant to act as support and resistance areas, but it does not mean automatic buy or sell at each and every MML. You need to look at how price is interacting with the MML.
(...)

That's something I'm currently struggling with. In an earlier post in this thread you've said something like that this indicator is new ground, because it has a different paradigm. I tend to agree with that, however, which kind of indicators or price action could be used with Murrey Math you think?

For example, if you used some kind of moving average crossover with Murray Math, the trading idea is then degenerated to "just another trading idea". In other words: I think that, if we use "common indicators" alongside Murrey Math (or Pivot Points for that matter), that something of the "uniqueness" gets lost in the process. So, what kind of indicators could be used alongside a "support and resistance" trading idea? (I would have to guess oscillators; however, I have yet to see one that gives a good indication of whether or not the price level will act as a support or resistance or not).

Besides that, I have one question regarding the indicator: if I set the settings to "monthly" and "Calculate the Pivot hourly" to false, the indicator will shift if I change the time frame. Is it supposed to do that? I guess not, because changing the time frame shouldn't change the data used for the monthly levels? (loaded 100 days of data btw).
I also noticed that this also happens with the standard Pivot indicator in Ninjatrader. If it's supposed to do this, could someone explain the rational behind this? It seems counterintuitive to me, because a monthly level is a monthly level on every time frame, right?

Regards,

perryg 
Rechovot

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: CQG
Trading: Index,Currency and Energy futures
Thanks Given: 508
Thanks Received: 6,288

I beleive there is a MurryMaths indicator at https://www.integrity-traders.com/. As far as I know it calculates MurryMaths in the correct way realtime. Enquire there for their indicator

Last Updated on June 21, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts