NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

How would you change MultiCharts 7?

Discussion in MultiCharts

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 11 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two Laurus12 with 5 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 greenroomhoo with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 guppy with 4 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one MultiCharts with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two cory with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Jura with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Laurus12 with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,523 views
    2. thumb_up 20 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

How would you change MultiCharts 7?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,236
Thanks Received: 101,658

Please post your thoughts on what you would like to see changed about the MultiCharts trading platform.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

I'll start.

I wish there were more people using MC so that there were more EasyLanguage guys around the forum. It's a chicken or the egg type of thing, I think a lot of users don't switch to MC because they love their indicators which are only available on their platform and not (yet) on MC. But until we see more MC people there will be less MC development to produce indicators...

Catch 22.

I wish they had keyboard shortcuts for drawing objects. I mean come on.

I wish the backtesting displayed a lot more info during the actual backtest. It seems not difficult to show a small box beneath the progress bar graph that just contains rough info, like highest net profit, # trades, etc just go give the user an approximate idea of whether or not the tested idea is worth waiting another 'x' minutes to complete, or if they should just cancel.

I wish the optimizing input variables were easier to work with (min, max range). Right now it is very cumbersome and every time you compile the script, the optimize params are reset and you have to re-define all the ranges again. I would really appreciate not having to do this every time.

I wish they would release a MC version that used .NET in addition to EasyLanguage. They are 95% there already, and it would be easier to write native .NET code than calling DLL's.

Can't think of much else right now.

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

sptrader 
Colorado

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: IB & Iqfeed
Trading: ES , CL
Thanks Given: 1,097
Thanks Received: 701

MC is going 64 bit soon (supposed to be in late Jan) , so it's hard for me to leave..
I'd like to see MC handle the volume studies like NT or CT does... and other bar types like better renko etc..

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

What is CT? I am thinking you meant Sierra.

Yes, custom bar types would be nice.

Mike

sptrader 
Colorado

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: IB & Iqfeed
Trading: ES , CL
Thanks Given: 1,097
Thanks Received: 701

Big Mike View Post
What is CT? I am thinking you meant Sierra.

Yes, custom bar types would be nice.

Mike

** Yes, I meant Sierra, sorry..

NW27 
Newcastle, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multicharts 8 - Full Version
Broker: IB
Trading: SPI,FTSE100, 6E, 6A
Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 188

Hi,
Hmmmm
1. Programmable hot keys. For placing trades or for chart marking etc.

2. I agree with everything said about the optimization. It should start with the parameters currently against the strategy.
3. The actual optimization report seems a but over the place. Ie I look at the equity curve, the system information (Net result) the individual trade analysis ie %profitable, the Risk to reward, the profit ratio. All of these are different screens.
There are half a dozen metrics that most people look at in system testing and it would be good if these could all be put onto the one page.
4. Exporting of the report cannot be done without excel being installed on the computer.

Indicators
5. A slide bar against input parameters would be great, this is in other chart apps. At the minimum an apply button. Then the chart should show the reflected change with out leaving the indicator properties screen. Having to change a MA len from 15 to 20, press the OK and go back to the main chart screen to see the MA fit is a bit ordinary.

Help/Manual
6. Come on. The last manual was version 5.5 from years ago. Lot's of things to longer apply or look the same.
7. Help files are extremely ordinary.
8. The reference files ie EasyLanuage, are way out of date and are actually on TradeStation web sites. Lots of the functions/reserved words no longer work or exist. Try using ExitLong or ExitShort or TrailingStopOrder.

9. Allow different sounds to be applied to various alerts instead of a bong for everything. Similar to NT.
10. A timer that is independent of incoming ticks. Ie EL code that could be fired every 100ms regardless of whether ticks had come in. I was trying to do some code that exited 15 seconds prior to a 5min bar close on the AUS/USD pair. Ie place a Market exit order before the close of the bar. Sometimes it was this bar sometimes the next 5min bar.
You would thing that this pair had enough turnover to do this but no.

Neil.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

NW27 View Post
Hi,
Hmmmm
1. Programmable hot keys. For placing trades or for chart marking etc.

2. I agree with everything said about the optimization. It should start with the parameters currently against the strategy.
3. The actual optimization report seems a but over the place. Ie I look at the equity curve, the system information (Net result) the individual trade analysis ie %profitable, the Risk to reward, the profit ratio. All of these are different screens.
There are half a dozen metrics that most people look at in system testing and it would be good if these could all be put onto the one page.
4. Exporting of the report cannot be done without excel being installed on the computer.

Indicators
5. A slide bar against input parameters would be great, this is in other chart apps. At the minimum an apply button. Then the chart should show the reflected change with out leaving the indicator properties screen. Having to change a MA len from 15 to 20, press the OK and go back to the main chart screen to see the MA fit is a bit ordinary.

Help/Manual
6. Come on. The last manual was version 5.5 from years ago. Lot's of things to longer apply or look the same.
7. Help files are extremely ordinary.
8. The reference files ie EasyLanuage, are way out of date and are actually on TradeStation web sites. Lots of the functions/reserved words no longer work or exist. Try using ExitLong or ExitShort or TrailingStopOrder.

9. Allow different sounds to be applied to various alerts instead of a bong for everything. Similar to NT.
10. A timer that is independent of incoming ticks. Ie EL code that could be fired every 100ms regardless of whether ticks had come in. I was trying to do some code that exited 15 seconds prior to a 5min bar close on the AUS/USD pair. Ie place a Market exit order before the close of the bar. Sometimes it was this bar sometimes the next 5min bar.
You would thing that this pair had enough turnover to do this but no.

Neil.

Great list, I agree with all of them and have run up against them all the time.

Have you taken time to create project management requests for each of these features? Tedious, but likely the only way they will ever get done.

Mike

sharp2be 
Canada

Platform: NT, TS
Broker: Amp
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 69

Mike, I think your statement below is the biggest adoption roadblock for MC, although is nice to have all the EasyLanguage legacy I personally want to be investing in a newer language such as .NET or Java ... Similar issue with ESignal and their EFS (it's a thing on its own), Sierra and C++ and Investor RT/MD with their RTL....

"I wish they would release a MC version that used .NET in addition to EasyLanguage. They are 95% there already, and it would be easier to write native .NET code than calling DLL's."

The only software that managed to get away with a non-stream language was Amibroker and the reason "I believe" is because it's very affordable and also extremely fast (fastest I know )....

And yes, the fact that they don't have keyboard shortcuts for certain things is pretty disappointing ... they also left behind minor things such as being able to specific colors of up/down bars for OHLC bars ... yes, basic but most users would not want to do any programming ...

Big Mike View Post
I'll start.

I wish there were more people using MC so that there were more EasyLanguage guys around the forum. It's a chicken or the egg type of thing, I think a lot of users don't switch to MC because they love their indicators which are only available on their platform and not (yet) on MC. But until we see more MC people there will be less MC development to produce indicators...

Catch 22.

I wish they had keyboard shortcuts for drawing objects. I mean come on.

I wish the backtesting displayed a lot more info during the actual backtest. It seems not difficult to show a small box beneath the progress bar graph that just contains rough info, like highest net profit, # trades, etc just go give the user an approximate idea of whether or not the tested idea is worth waiting another 'x' minutes to complete, or if they should just cancel.

I wish the optimizing input variables were easier to work with (min, max range). Right now it is very cumbersome and every time you compile the script, the optimize params are reset and you have to re-define all the ranges again. I would really appreciate not having to do this every time.

I wish they would release a MC version that used .NET in addition to EasyLanguage. They are 95% there already, and it would be easier to write native .NET code than calling DLL's.

Can't think of much else right now.

Mike

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 xevian 
Toronto

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Multicharts, NT, TWS
Broker: IB
Trading: ES, ZN
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 17

My two cents:

1) Renko Bars with wicks and custom bar types

2) A working Cumulative Delta indicator like what is available in Investor IRT, Market Delta, Ninjatrader - (GOM) and Sierra Chart

3) Have an option to be able to easily split multi-lot orders in the dom

4) A built in Sim engine

5) Customizable keyboard shortcuts

Fu510n 
Suffield, CT

Platform: MC, TS, Python, Rust
Broker: IB, IQFeed, TS, Kraken
Trading: ES, NQ, RTY, YM, CL, RB, 6E
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Seconds
Thanks Given: 902
Thanks Received: 143

xevian View Post
My two cents:

1) Renko Bars with wicks and custom bar types

2) A working Cumulative Delta indicator like what is available in Investor IRT, Market Delta, Ninjatrader - (GOM) and Sierra Chart

3) Have an option to be able to easily split multi-lot orders in the dom

4) A built in Sim engine

5) Customizable keyboard shortcuts

YES! (all the above and what BM and others have mentioned)

plus...

6) add a "return" statement to EasyLanguage even if it's not part of the current syntax
7) extend EL so text can be "absolutely positioned" any where on a chart (and stay "sticky" OR shift as the chart is scrolled)
8) I've only seen this with 7.x (since that's all I'm familiar with), but in porting the "ReversalBars" indicator, it would have been handy for plotted bars to adjust to chart compression/expansion commands. I'll hopefully be able to explain better when I upload my MC ports of the indicators used in Jeff's "True Strength Indicator" thread; when I try to compress the bar width of an already-drawn chart, the bar width stays the same rather than compress like the rest of the chart does. The indicator does read/use the current bar width on initial load and I guess the chart can be refreshed, but it would be nice if there were a way to have that happen "automagically" in real-time.
9) a way to create "fill" areas on indicators like NT does; the best I've been able to do (or have seen) with EL is to "fill with lines" (throw in opacity, etc. too ).

-Guy

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Last Updated on April 30, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts