NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Swing trading with Andrew's Forks and volume analysis

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bayfisherman with 41 posts (26 thanks)
    2. looks_two trendfly with 5 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trendisyourfriend with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 JamTheTrader with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Jolew with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bayfisherman with 0.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 trendisyourfriend with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 trendfly with 0.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 11,670 views
    2. thumb_up 30 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 52 posts
    2. attach_file 73 attachments

Search this Thread

Swing trading with Andrew's Forks and volume analysis

bayfisherman 
Tallahassee

Wanted to open a thread to post my charts and get some dialog and chart sharing going on. Been trading about 4/5 years now and these pitchforks have some of the best risk to reward setups I've found. I use some other tools like volume analysis and some fib work, occasionally I'll look at elliot wave to help define structure and maturity of a move. Feel free to ask questions and post charts I enjoy the interaction. I'm usually trading early before I have to go to work and in the evenings...located in Panama City Beach, FL CST.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Here's a quick look at what I'm doing. This is the EU. I trade mostly currencies, but do follow correlation markets DX, CL, GC, TF, NQ, SPX500, USDOLLAR, USOIL

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EU 240m.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	59408   Click image for larger version

Name:	eu.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	59410  

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
10 thanks
 bayfisherman 
Tallahassee

Didn't take this trade because I was loaded up on the EU short overnight but look at risk to reward here
from the sliding parallel to the median line...could have gotten in really cheap here.

Here are some of my recent trades...a couple breakeven, a couple nice winners.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GU 60m.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	59411   Click image for larger version

Name:	trades.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	59412  

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,174
Thanks Received: 6,019

No doubt, Mr. Pitchfork was bright. Occasionally, i pitch a Fork on my chart but depending on the selection of your pivot (specially the middle arm) it can make a huge difference if the time interval covers lots of ground. I may revisit them if you can share how you proceed to draw them. However, i must admit, i feel more like a carpenter than a trader when i use these tools. These days, i prefer to identify key changes in supply/demand and use these zones when price revisit them, i have the feeling these zones are more significant than just an anonymous line whether it be a fib. or pitchfork line but that's my perception which is subjective at best. As they say, if you make good money that's what counts. I am eager to see more of your charts. Good continuation.

P.S. here is my most memorable comment about these lines many moons ago:

bayfisherman 
Tallahassee

a mathematical probability built in since they are projections off prior price action...statistics show, price has an 80% probability to reach the next median line once it leaves the current one....I like those odds. Gives you well defined entries and profit targets.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AU 60m.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	59419  
 bayfisherman 
Tallahassee

If you will take note of the last post the image there is of the AU 60min...what is not shown is my downsloping fork...the red dotted lines are the downsloping fork I've been following. The slope is actually just a normal trendline it hits perfect 3 times through there you see the 2nd and 3rd hits...I'll just copy that line and drag it around to other significant swings and if there is frequency there I'll zero in the pivots I need to use and draw in the fork last. If you know a little about Elliot wave theory...a lot of the time wave 4 has the deepest pullback in the trend of the 5 waves and that will be my B and C points A will be the top of wave 1. To be honest as long as you are using signifcant swings high low high low high low, etc. and it looks good use it. Don't be afraid to move the b and C points some. Like I said if it looks good and it catches mulitiple turns, use it. Hope this helps.

KC_test_4 - pipslayer's library

kc_test_5 - pipslayer's library

kc_test_6 - pipslayer's library

These are some short videos of how I go about it.

JamTheTrader 
Juno Beach

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninja and TS
Broker: Optimus Futures / Matt
Trading: multiple

bayfisherman View Post
If you will take note of the last post the image there is of the AU 60min...what is not shown is my downsloping fork...the red dotted lines are the downsloping fork I've been following. The slope is actually just a normal trendline it hits perfect 3 times through there you see the 2nd and 3rd hits...I'll just copy that line and drag it around to other significant swings and if there is frequency there I'll zero in the pivots I need to use and draw in the fork last. If you know a little about Elliot wave theory...a lot of the time wave 4 has the deepest pullback in the trend of the 5 waves and that will be my B and C points A will be the top of wave 1. To be honest as long as you are using signifcant swings high low high low high low, etc. and it looks good use it. Don't be afraid to move the b and C points some. Like I said if it looks good and it catches mulitiple turns, use it. Hope this helps.

KC_test_4 - pipslayer's library

kc_test_5 - pipslayer's library

kc_test_6 - pipslayer's library

These are some short videos of how I go about it.

Great work KC, Nice to see you here on Big Mikes

JAM

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,174
Thanks Received: 6,019

Thanks for the videos, i was wondering, do you trade the Futures (ES, TF, NQ, 6E) I'd like to see some forks for these instruments and compare with what i can produce myself, a cheap way to counter check if i do it correctly. Thanks again.

bayfisherman 
Tallahassee

trendisyourfriend View Post
Thanks for the videos, i was wondering, do you trade the Futures (ES, TF, NQ, 6E) I'd like to see some forks for these instruments and compare with what i can produce myself, a cheap way to counter check if i do it correctly. Thanks again.

Updated 1/12/12 22:00 CST

Futures room 6E, CL, TF, NQ, adding gold GC and XAU/usd:

https://www.screencast.com/t/EuqoZ8uTU

Once you are in the library you will be able to scroll around to the other charts.

bayfisherman 
Tallahassee

Nice run after news...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eu.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	59607   Click image for larger version

Name:	EU short.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	59608   Click image for larger version

Name:	EU 60m.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	59609  

Last Updated on November 25, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts