NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Disaster Strikes! Backup your data

Discussion in Tech Support

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 10 posts (21 thanks)
    2. looks_two Peter2150 with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 stephenszpak with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 keymoo with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Silver Dragon with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 keymoo with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Peter2150 with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 24,016 views
    2. thumb_up 42 thanks given
    3. group 15 followers
    1. forum 40 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Disaster Strikes! Backup your data

stephenszpak 
Massachusetts (USA)

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: YM
Thanks Given: 144
Thanks Received: 356

monpere View Post
Got hit last week with a cpu intensive virus, that kept crashing the machine because it was overheating the cpu. Mawarebytes, Norton, and Windows Security Essentials would not detect it. Had to reinstall vista from my recovery disk. Good thing this happened during the holidays, an I also had backups.

You might want to switch to Kaspersky. I can still use the 2011 version for about 80
days, but the new one is already out. I have Kaspersky Internet Security, which takes
care of internet and viruses. I think that is confusing, but that's how they named it.

Buy Kaspersky Software | Kaspersky Lab United States

Peter2150 protection as a summary. I like the idea of 2 (in his case 3) separate computers. But like a number
of procedures on this thread, it isn't easy to setup for a non-tech. (Not asking for help, just commenting.)

I have two desktops...On both desktops, I run an imaging program from Storagecraft, called Shadowprotect....Then I use a synchronize program to sync to two external drives on the primary business machine. I then sync two the other machines external drive, and c: drive......Finally I have cloud storage via two different companies. I use Idrive and Jungledisk.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors

stephenszpak 
Massachusetts (USA)

emini_Holy_Grail View Post
also, you can look at iomega usb drive with vclone that can take image of whole PC
Iomega v.Clone App Portable-izes Your Entire PC
2 benefits
1) restore if your PC fails
2) run PC from usb drive when you are travelling

Article from link provided:

Iomega v.Clone App Portable-izes Your Entire PC

It'd be easy to get knotted up in jargon describing v.Clone, so let's stick with the concept for now: It's a syncable, complete image of your PC, which you can boot run from basically any other PC. And it's free.

To anyone who's used mainstream backup software, this probably sounds too good to be true. In a way, yes, it is. But the tradeoff is minimal, and the payoff is more than worth it. Here's the deal:

v.Clone EMC owns Iomega, which makes portable hard drives. EMC also owns VMWare, which makes virtualization software around. v.Clone is essentially a portable installation of VMWare, meaning that you can plug your v.Clone-loaded Iomega portable HDD into most any Windows computer, run the app, and boot into your saved virtual machine. The secret, though, lies in what you're booting into—namely, a perfect copy of your main PC.

In other words, v.Clone lets you make a full copy of your primary PC—including apps, media, settings, etc—to a VMWare image, run said copy from other Windows-based computers, and upon reconnection with the primary PC, sync any changes you made while running the virtual machine back to your main PC. Likewise, any changes you've made on your host PC can be synced to your virtual machine, so your v.Clone image is more or less a virtualized, up-to-date clone of your main PC. We haven't been able to try it out yet, but Iomega assures us that the whole system isn't as ass-slow as it sounds like it could be, because the syncing process is incremental—if you only change a few things on your virtualized image, syncing it with your host PC won't take more than a few minutes.

There are a couple of catches here: the software may be called v.Clone, but it's not creating a traditional, raw image clone. If your main PC faceplants and destroys itself, your v.Clone image will let you salvage your data, but it won't let do a full restore, like Norton Ghost or Time Machine. And despite the fact that portable HDDs are all exactly the same, this software will only work with Iomega drives. But still, kinda genius! (If you happen to this particular brand of totally commodified product!)

v.Clone is available for owners of Iomega USB portable hard drives, including the full eGo and Prestige lines.

Thanked by:

stephenszpak 
Massachusetts (USA)

There are USB flash drives which are quite large. But as has been said, the main problem
is getting the correct software, so that all your stuff actually is backed up.

128 GB USB flash drive in attachment, and also at link below.

Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX DataTraveler HyperX 3.0 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Model DTHX30/128GB

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kingston drive.png
Views:	431
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	59703  

GuerillaTrading 
Hamburg, Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: self-developed
Trading: Futures, Forex
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 2

There is an easy solution for this problem. Get a trading workstation fail-proof in the cloud and you don't have to think about backups again.
Not to mention the other benefits you get (high performance, faster order execution, high-availability....).

For my private pc, I've had good experience with duplicati. Very easy to use and it is also possible to encrypt your whole backup with AES-256!

Thanked by:

vvhg 
Northern Germany

Platform: NT
Trading: FDAX, CL
Thanks Given: 1,016
Thanks Received: 2,824

GuerillaTrading View Post
There is an easy solution for this problem. Get a trading workstation fail-proof in the cloud and you don't have to think about backups again.

Nothing is fail-proof. At the end everything is down to probabilities, not only in trading, but there it's most obvious.

Vvhg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hic Rhodos, hic salta.
Thanked by:
 arjfca 
Montreal, Canada

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Interactive Broker
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 440
Thanks Received: 91

Peter2150 View Post
I think I am more thorough than most. But I absolutely can't afford to lose data, nor can I afford downtime.

I have two desktops, and a desktop replacement laptop. All three machines have identical setup's and folder names. The laptop is just for emergency use.

On both desktops, I run an imaging program from Storagecraft, called Shadowprotect. It has a feature called continuous incrementals, and it takes an incremental image every 30 minutes in about 7 minutes. At the end of the day it collapses them into a daily. I just let it run. From these I can restore the computer from the image to previous points in time, as well as mount the images and pull data from them. These images are stored on a 2nd internal drive, and also synced to an external drive.

Then I use a synchronize program to sync to two external drives on the primary business machine. I then sync two the other machines external drive, and c: drive. The reason I do this is just because of what has happened. Turn on the main business machine in the am and it's dead. I can just go to the 2nd one and continue uninterrupted.

Finally I have cloud storage via two different companies. I use Idrive and Jungledisk. I picked these as they both offer private encrytion and satisfactory retentions policy's. Both retain multiple versions. They were chosen with geographical considerations. Idrive servers are in California and Jungledisk in Atlanta and Chicago. Although Jungledisk might seem like a strange name, the company behind them is Rackspace which is well known to the corporate world.

IMPORTANT POINT. All these backup methods have had the restore capability tested and proven. Without testing the restore, you have no backup.

Pete

Whow! I should had read this tread and your input before. You seem to have a nice and appropriate solution to a disaster recovery

I will try to reproduce your installation. Any clarification you could add?

I will print your message and start to proceed to the installation. I'm in the middle of a crisis and my backup solution did not work at all.

Martin

arjfca 
Montreal, Canada

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Interactive Broker
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 440
Thanks Received: 91

Hello again Peter. I would like some clarification

Quoting 
On both desktops, I run an imaging program from Storagecraft, called Shadowprotect. It has a feature called continuous incrementals, and it takes an incremental image every 30 minutes in about 7 minutes. At the end of the day it collapses them into a daily. I just let it run.

My understanding:
- Both PC prepare an image and wrote it under a 2' Internal hard drive.

Quoting 
These images are stored on a 2nd internal drive, and also synced to an external drive. Then I use a synchronize program to sync to two external drives on the primary business machine. I then sync two the other machines external drive, and c: drive. The reason I do this is just because of what has happened.

- There I lost you. Is it done all automatically? How a change in one PC is reflected on the 2'. With your solution, both PC are synchronized. A file modification in either of them is reflected on the other one.

Could you elaborate on the synchronization process

Quoting 
Finally I have cloud storage via two different companies.

- Is it use for your individual file or your disk image.

Quoting 
IMPORTANT POINT. All these backup methods have had the restore capability tested and proven. Without testing the restore, you have no backup.

I truly re-enforce this wording. I taught that my external in line backup solution was a good one until I had to experience it

Martin

P.S. Excuse my English. It is not perfect

Traderji 
Australia

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, Multicharts
Trading: Spot Forex, Gold, Silver
Thanks Given: 114
Thanks Received: 114

I use a 4-bay Synology NAS. The drives are in RAID-5.

All my media and documents etc are on the NAS and I access them through WinFS shared folders on all my workstations. It is quite good because all your stuff is backed up automatically simply by using the shared folders. It also has built-in recycle bin so if you erase a file by mistake, recovery is very easy to do.

Other features are

- built in media server, itunes server
- OpenVPN server - so you can come in from the outside and have secure access to your entire LAN
- IOS & Android apps to access your data via smartphone
- It is ARM cpu running linux so you can run your apps like torrents or apache/php/mysql etc

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

Big Mike View Post
Just a quick note:

Carbonite seems limited to 4GB files, not 100% clear
iDrive 10GB
Jungledisk 5GB

This kind of thing still upsets me. I have many files over this size that are important data to me (compressed archives generally). I suspect for most it is not an issue, but thought I would report my findings.

Mike

Best I can tell, iDrive removed the 10GB limit (from their website at least). I just purchased the 150GB annual plan, and will report back as I test things. I have multiple files over 4GB and 10GB, so we will find out in coming days.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 Peter2150 
Washington DC

Thanks Given: 110
Thanks Received: 117

Big Mike View Post
Best I can tell, iDrive removed the 10GB limit (from their website at least). I just purchased the 150GB annual plan, and will report back as I test things. I have multiple files over 4GB and 10GB, so we will find out in coming days.

Mike

Mike that should be an issue in any case. Almost all the archiving programs like Winrar and winzip, all you you to break up files into smaller sizes. I've used this and rarely see any problem putting them back together.

Pete

Last Updated on January 24, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts