NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Disaster Strikes! Backup your data

Discussion in Tech Support

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 10 posts (21 thanks)
    2. looks_two Peter2150 with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 stephenszpak with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 keymoo with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Silver Dragon with 1.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 keymoo with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Peter2150 with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 24,169 views
    2. thumb_up 42 thanks given
    3. group 15 followers
    1. forum 40 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Disaster Strikes! Backup your data

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,212
Thanks Received: 101,599

Just a quick note:

Carbonite seems limited to 4GB files, not 100% clear
iDrive 10GB
Jungledisk 5GB

This kind of thing still upsets me. I have many files over this size that are important data to me (compressed archives generally). I suspect for most it is not an issue, but thought I would report my findings.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
33 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
11 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks

sptrader 
Colorado

Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: IB & Iqfeed
Trading: ES , CL
Thanks Given: 1,097
Thanks Received: 701

I've debated using the cloud like Carbonite, but for now, I use a 500gig WD USB3 external drive (about $50), that I plug in to backup weekly.. Takes about 15 minutes for a complete drive image (80gb or so of data) using "Casper" backup software.. I leave my trading computer on 24/7; I usually change drives every 3-4 years, to prevent problems..I also export my new studies or other important items, to my laptop upon completion..
If you're really paranoid about losing files, the external drive is small enough, to fit easily in a small, fire-proof safe..
Quick, cheap and painless.

Thanked by:

cory 
virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

my hd crashed, I used another machine and this product to recover most of data EaseUS provides professional Data Recovery, Partition Manager, Data Backup Software Products.

init77
Switzerland

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 7

Since I do not rely on trading (it's just a hobby), there is no need for exteme fail over solutions. But what seem to work for me:

1.) running an imaging software like Norton Ghost on my primary trading platform (desktop pc) as well as on my notebook. I have a basic image where only Win7 SP1 and Office 2010 with the latest patches are installed and registered (if you want to have a fresh and clean installation). Then i have an up2date image (two weekly, daily is exaggerated for me) of my desktop PC. If you are relying heavily on it, you could have a spare disk where you can restore your ghost image in less than 5 minutes from the image stored on another backup disk in your PC or from the Nas (you could even think of having a spare disk around for generic emergency cases).

2.) Nas with raid5/raid6 (depending on your needs) that provides SMB/CIFS services (network drive) to store non-essential stuff (since desktop PC has an SSD) and generic data. Besides that, specific config files/indicators are also backuped there. (my music collection gets backuped infrequently to an external drive that I store then at an offsite location, since I really love my music collection and already had to start three times over due to disk failures and theft)

3.) The Nas replicates only the most important files to Amazon S3 in an encrypted form (ssl transfer and encrypted files). If you have a "full Linux" distribution for your server or Windows Server, Zmanda/Amanda Backup Server Community Edition is worth a look.

- I also maintain a KeePass (password safe) list, which is backuped trough Dropbox (no problem since it is encrypted). Source Code of programming projects are stored on off-site repositories (SVN) like origo (origo.ethz.ch), that should be backuped by them (and you can also get a whole svn dump).

- Last but not least, I have also a GSM/UMTS/LTE internet stick for my notebook, so in case of emergency and internet disconnect, I am still able to handle orders etc...

My solution seems like an overkill for private users and hobby traders, but hey, everyone has his own needs for data redundancy.

Peter2150 
Washington DC

Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 110
Thanks Received: 117

Big Mike View Post
Just a quick note:

Carbonite seems limited to 4GB files, not 100% clear
iDrive 10GB
Jungledisk 5GB

This kind of thing still upsets me. I have many files over this size that are important data to me (compressed archives generally). I suspect for most it is not an issue, but thought I would report my findings.

Mike

Hi Mike

Not familiar with Carbonite, but the other two yes.

On Idrive Pro which I use, it says it has been tested up to 10gb, not that there is a limit. The upload time on 10gb would be horrific

On Jungledisk Desktop Edition which is what I use, there is only a 5gb limit using the network feature. Otherwise there is no limit. Also you can break up archives like zip/rar files into smaller pieces.

Jungledisk has two backup modes you can set up. What they call a legacy mode which offers certain features like the ability to search thru the backup for files. An organized local disk makes this unnecessary to me. This mode stores the files uncompressed, and uses more space

The other mode is the backup vault which is more limited in it's feature set, but stores the files compressed. This mode has worked fine for me.

Jungledisk is the most versatile, albeit the less user friendly. It is also very price friendly.

Pete

PS. If you want me to test one of them for you, I will.

aslan 
Madison, WI

Platform: ALT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 356
Thanks Received: 1,127

Big Mike View Post
For example, Sierra Charts ignores Windows best practices and by default installs itself to the root of your C: drive. 99% of backup software would never include this location in its default backup set. The same can be said of MultiCharts. MultiCharts saves its files in a non-traditional "ProgramData" directory, while not as bad as the root of the drive like Sierra Chart, it is still a path that most backup software will exclude from default backups.

The fact is, most backup software only backs up your "Documents" directory by default. So if you use NinjaTrader, you are covered. But if you use MC or SC, not so much.

"Windows best practices" -> that is comical.

There are good reasons SC does it that way, but I think it is good that you are pointing out this pitfall though. SC users can of course place their data directory anywhere they want by changing one preference in the Global Settings. So, if you wanted to place it in the Documents dir, you certainly could do that. Personally, I love having my entire install in a single dir, that I can dump to a thumb drive and copy somewhere else. I do the same thing for some other apps as well.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,212
Thanks Received: 101,599

aslan View Post
"Windows best practices" -> that is comical.

There are good reasons SC does it that way

What is the good reason that SC defaults to C:\SierraChart, instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\SierraChart? And that it stores it's data in the Program Files directory, instead of in the well accepted and industry standard Documents directory for user data?

I like Sierra. I know you like it too. But it seems like a poor design choice, and now they are just sticking with it because change is hard (?). We know the SC devs are smart guys, but we also know they are not receptive to change or critical feedback. Twenty years ago I liked to have well organized directories off the root too, in DOS 3.3 or so. But in the Windows world, it is not the standard and is frowned upon.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 emini_Holy_Grail 
Dallas,TX

Platform: NinjaTrader, OpenQuant
Broker: Zaner/Zen Fire
Trading: ES,6E,6B,GC,CL
Thanks Given: 176
Thanks Received: 126

also, you can look at iomega usb drive with vclone that can take image of whole PC
Iomega v.Clone App Portable-izes Your Entire PC
2 benefits
1) restore if your PC fails
2) run PC from usb drive when you are travelling

aslan 
Madison, WI

Platform: ALT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 356
Thanks Received: 1,127

Big Mike View Post
What is the good reason that SC defaults to C:\SierraChart, instead of C:\Program Files (x86)\SierraChart? And that it stores it's data in the Program Files directory, instead of in the well accepted and industry standard Documents directory for user data?

That "(x86)" did not use to be there. Notice how windows programs might be there or in the old program folder etc. Thats why I say it is comical. My backup program should not need to know about special dirs etc. Upgrading to a new PC is a nightmare.

Ever use a MAC? Most apps are the same, everything under one tree. Sure makes moving an app to another system easy. Also, to uninstall, you blow away the entire dir. Want to make a copy of an SC instance, copy the dir and you are off and running. Want to take it with you on a thumb drive, copy one dir done.

In any case, you could install SC into that dir, as you have a choice when you install, and as I mentioned you can also move your data dir wherever you want it. Once you install once, further upgrades from within the program know where the install is and install in place.

Quoting 
But it seems like a poor design choice, and now they are just sticking with it because change is hard (?). We know the SC devs are smart guys, but we also know they are not receptive to change or critical feedback.

Use some sugar ;-)

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus, IB
Trading: SPY, Oil, Euro
Thanks Given: 300
Thanks Received: 3,371

emini_Holy_Grail View Post
also, you can look at iomega usb drive with vclone that can take image of whole PC
Iomega v.Clone App Portable-izes Your Entire PC
2 benefits
1) restore if your PC fails
2) run PC from usb drive when you are travelling

Got hit last week with a cpu intensive virus, that kept crashing the machine because it was overheating the cpu. Mawarebytes, Norton, and Windows Security Essentials would not detect it. Had to reinstall vista from my recovery disk. Good thing this happened during the holidays, an I also had backups.

Last Updated on January 24, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts