NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading the 6E Old School, With a Twist

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Cashish with 318 posts (1,469 thanks)
    2. looks_two WilleeMac with 113 posts (137 thanks)
    3. looks_3 eminitrdr with 61 posts (127 thanks)
    4. looks_4 josh with 19 posts (34 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Cashish with 4.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two eminitrdr with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 WilleeMac with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 127,405 views
    2. thumb_up 1,892 thanks given
    3. group 93 followers
    1. forum 588 posts
    2. attach_file 797 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading the 6E Old School, With a Twist

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ensign 10, NT7 DOM
Broker: IB, IQ
Trading: Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 811
Thanks Received: 2,102

There's no School like the Old School

I'm late posting this, but here it is FWIW. While I was putting this together Ben's written comments came out, however the range is still only 60 ticks, I believe there's opportunity for much more movement. I hope to follow up with more detail but here are the numbers I've been watching during the overnight session.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

There's no School like the Old School

Buying the High

This is a post I was working on Yesterday and was called away before I finished.

I took these snips at different times during the U.S. session, these are Daily Bars. Those that care to follow along may find it helpful to open a 1 or 5 minute chart to get a better idea of what this is all about. This first chart shows a high of 1.3141, and price at the time of the capture trading at 1.3138. The question is, Are you a Buyer at these levels? This post is a little more detail on how I use the "4" Numbers generated in previous posts. Coming into the Globex Session I had the 4 numbers, the use of these numbers is heavily dependent on price movements. To make this post a little easier to follow I'm only going to focus on the upper numbers. There are 4, Rally, Buy High, Yesterday's High and the TR Number.

The first chart is a daily chart, it shows the Rally and Buy High Number, these numbers are an average of price moves over a three day period (see previous posts). Big moves as well as tight daily ranges often skew these numbers, when they do common sense and knowledge of your market can become a very handy tool. The chart shows the Previous High, the Big whole number 1.3100 and the TR Sell Number was exceeded as well as the Buy High Number. So, if price was sitting near the High at 1.3141 would you be looking for a buying opportunity? The second and third charts are 5 minute charts, they "look back" at the top of last weeks big move and show POC Shifts of Volume when price was trading on those levels. Yea, Yea, Yea just a bunch of random lines. But, when price hits one of these levels and stops dead (1.3141) I take notice. Also when "Today's" 2 X Sell Number aligns with one of these levels I also take notice.

Buying a High is not for the faint of heart, but it can be profitable if a trader has a well defined target and most importantly strict risk management. This target (2 X Sell Number, 1.3156) in particular was a tough trade to take IMO. For price to "reach up" and tag this level the whole number 1.3150 had to be penetrated (Remember, take profit going to, not going thru whole numbers), furthermore, for price to reach this level the daily range must expand form 95 ticks to 110 ticks. Knowing the average daily range may help when faced with such a dilemma. This is one example of one move, I thought it offered piece by piece examples of what I look for when contemplating buying a high, the inverse would be a general guide for selling a low.

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Don't forget the Power of Yesterday's 50% level

Edit:

Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Waiting on Big Ben, again

Talk about boring with a capital "B." A 17 tick range for 4 hours, I was beginning to think it was Christmas Eve.

Thanked by:

mokodo 
Bridgwater, UK

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: MB Trading
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 525
Thanks Received: 348

what sleeps will awaken

know thyself
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

WilleeMac 
Prospect, KY. USA

Experience: None
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Infinity
Trading: /CL
Thanks Given: 309
Thanks Received: 617

Here's a spreadsheet i put together recording the 2am open. As for the pass/ fail, I was taking the 3am into account. It's a rough start but a start

Feel free to use as you wish

I firmly believe we can glean info from the hourly down to the lower time frames etc

-Bill_M

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: OldSchool6E.xls
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

WilleeMac View Post
Here's a spreadsheet i put together recording the 2am open. As for the pass/ fail, I was taking the 3am into account. It's a rough start but a start

Feel free to use as you wish

I firmly believe we can glean info from the hourly down to the lower time frames etc

-Bill_M

I took a quick peek at this, sorry but I need more time to understand it. Can you give more details so I don't have to Re-think your objective? I'm a deep thinker, but a slow learner.

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Fish Fry tonight in eminitrdr's barnyard!!!

@eminitrdr A Nephew of mine sent me this picture. I have no idea who these guys are but THAT is one Big Catfish 178 pounds, that's 80 kilos to most of the world. Oh and BTW it was caught in the Ohio River. Grab your pole and a can of worms @wldman or, is that you? ,,,,, Notice: Location of fish fry may change

Thanked by:

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,046
Thanks Received: 9,491

just got back from golfing and fishing the Mississippi. Saw nothing quite like that one, but they are in there near the dams.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

WilleeMac 
Prospect, KY. USA

Experience: None
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Infinity
Trading: /CL
Thanks Given: 309
Thanks Received: 617

@Cashish

"I took a quick peek at this, sorry but I need more time to understand it. Can you give more details so I don't have to Re-think your objective? I'm a deep thinker, but a slow learner."

My initial objective was to put a pencil to your original question, what is the percent of the time the 2am price action can lend insight to the possible PA for the remainder of the session 2-6am?

The H column is based on math, either it passed or failed (there might be some errors) according to your criteria - the smaller of the two numbers should be the high or the low for the next H1 price bar (3am) for confirmation.

If I recall correctly the 2am formula produced roughly 60% accuracy.

I then went back through the charts (I column) and added human judgement. For example: the next H1 bar could have pinned above/ below the 2am price and then continued on the original "math path."

For example: JAN 17 the formula failed, price action said otherwise - nice tail on that donkey. And JAN 18 was the same, just no donkey (trying to keep it clean here.)

The accuracy increased to roughly 70%.

For me this exercise has confirmed that weird things happen at weird hours.

I look for a dip/ tail/ wick of no more than 4-6 ticks off the open, that might give some direction esp when analyzed in concert w/ the other H1 bars

-Bill_M

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 12, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts