NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading the 6E Old School, With a Twist

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Cashish with 318 posts (1,469 thanks)
    2. looks_two WilleeMac with 113 posts (137 thanks)
    3. looks_3 eminitrdr with 61 posts (127 thanks)
    4. looks_4 josh with 19 posts (34 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Cashish with 4.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two eminitrdr with 2.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 1.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 WilleeMac with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 127,456 views
    2. thumb_up 1,892 thanks given
    3. group 93 followers
    1. forum 588 posts
    2. attach_file 797 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading the 6E Old School, With a Twist

WilleeMac 
Prospect, KY. USA

Experience: None
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Infinity
Trading: /CL
Thanks Given: 309
Thanks Received: 617

More on manipulation

BOE Staff Said to Have Condoned Currency Traders? Conduct - Bloomberg

Today's court ruling

German Court Challenges OMT -What Does That Mean for the Euro? | BK Asset Management

Quoting 
In its ruling the German court took issue with OMT program which is designed to allow ECB to buy sovereign bonds in order to stabilize financial markets in times of deep turmoil. However, the court noted that , “In the view of the Federal Constitutional Court, the objective mentioned by the European Central Bank to justify the OMT Decision, namely to correct a disruption to the monetary policy transmission mechanism, cannot change this assessment. The fact that the purchase of government bonds can, under certain conditions, also help to support the monetary policy objectives of the European System of Central Banks does not turn the OMT Decision itself into an act of monetary policy. If purchasing government bonds were admissible every time the monetary policy transmission mechanism is disrupted, it would amount to granting the European Central Bank the power to remedy any deterioration of the credit rating of a euro Member State through the purchase of that state’s government bonds. This would largely suspend the prohibition of monetary financing of the budget.”

Nevertheless the German justice refrained from issuing an outright ban on the program and referred the final decision to Brussels.

Quoting 
By referring the matter to ECJ the German court implicitly acknowledged the superiority of Brussels to Berlin and ceded sovereignty on the matter. The ECJ is expected to take a more liberal view of the matter and will likely rule in favor of the program.

Quoting 
Although tonight’s ruling has no immediate impact on ECB policy it does highlight the tensions within the EU monetary system and forces the central bank to walk a very fine line. At very least it removes some of the macroprudential tools at its disposal and making it rely on indirect methods of stimulus such as LTRO. ... but tonight’s ruling certainly limits the choices for policymakers for the time being.

Stay frosty

-Bill

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ensign 10, NT7 DOM
Broker: IB, IQ
Trading: Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 811
Thanks Received: 2,102

shuglu View Post
Great journal Cashish. Enjoy learning from your experience. Here's my take on trend lines so far. Any feedback appreciated.

Justin

@shuglu Thanks

I like onions in my meatloaf, not for the visual effect, for flavor. But if my little girl sees an onion in anything (except a pile of onion rings) she won't have anything to do with it, so my work around is onion powder, we're both happy! I've been thinking about your request for feedback and I'm a little hesitant to respond. I believe the ingredients folks put in their meatloaf is based on a personal preference, the same with trendlines. I know nothing of your trading style, the time frame you trade or your tolerance for risk. This is what makes working with trend lines and channels personal, at some level every line we draw on a chart comes down to our individual style. I believe there are dozens of ways to make money trading the 6E, in this thread I've tried to show examples of many of the theories I use. I also believe if someone is looking for another tool for their trading tool box they'll find several good ones in this thread. That being said, if/when a reader does find something that "speaks to them" stick with it, study it, take it apart, refine it and make it your own.

IMO, trend lines and channels can be as short as 3 daily bars or a half dozen 5m bars, it all depends on the recipe of what you are trying to "cook up." Today is NFP Day, and I've posted my NFP Day game plan a couple times in this thread. This is one point of view of one way to utilize information derived from a trend line/channel.

Everybody has their own recipe for anchoring a trend line, not that it really matters, but I usually don't include tails. This morning I drew this (blue) line on my chart, my charting software will automatically draw the High Low parallel lines (if I select it).

Around 1am est price tested the swing low of 1.3585 from 3pm Yesterday afternoon, at this point a wedge was formed. One method of projecting a Price Target is to subtract the distance from the bottom horizontal line of the wedge (1.3585) from the high (1.3620) and projecting that difference an equal distance (35 ticks) lower, this is often referred to as, a measured move. The 35 tick distance is calculated on the left margin of this chart (white dotted line).

The chart below shows the 35 tick measured move projected from the horizontal line of the wedge (1.3585) 35 ticks lower (red dotted line) to 1.3550 (yellow line).

I've extended the parallel lines on this chart as a comparison to the measured move price target. I know, I know, I know the measured move target of 1.3550 never traded price stopped dead at 1.3551 1 tick away from the target. I hope readers are astute enough to realize the 1.3551 price level was what significant number on today's chart?

In closing, "Don't be a dick, for a tick." Have a great weekend fellas, and thanks for viewing the thread.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

WilleeMac View Post
More on manipulation

-Bill

@WilleeMac

Exclusive: Deutsche fires three New York forex traders - source | Reuters

Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

One last, Random Line for the week.

Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

WilleeMac View Post
@Cashish

Would like to have more commentary on COT, please

What type of commentary?

OI, change in OI, commercial vs spec, all tied together w/ charts, what you were expecting, how it played out and/ or possibly why.

Seasonality?

Other?

Thank you

-Bill_M

Boy, you're not asking for much are you Bill? I'm happy to take a shot at this but for the record my energy level is still pretty low.

To get things rolling here is a chart of the 1 hour bars during the Tuesday time frame (8am to 12pm) that I analyze to assess the net positions of Large Spec. Since the COT data isn't posted until Friday I can never be certain my analysis of their behavior is correct, until well after the fact. BUT, one important thing to remember when making an assessment of their behavior is, more likely than not the players seldom change. I don't have to assess the behavior of ALL market participants only the 100 or so Large Spec that always seem to hold positions week after week (according to the COT Report). This information alone should make your job much easier, especially when you begin to see patterns in their actions. How much information can you glean from (4) 1 hour bars, a lot. Obviously a range is identified, in this case it's 1.3530 to 1.3494 or 36 ticks. A quick look into the sub panel shows these 4 bars were within the period of the day's highest volume. Also the range these bars defined were left unchallenged, for 24 hours. Could that be, when these same traders returned to the market, for the next day's trading, just a thought. The Open Interest numbers are not posted until the close of the next day, but traders can see the preliminary data for the prior day on the CME website by viewing the Daily Bulletins. If you had, you may have noticed even though the volume was lower than the prior day (Monday) the OI actually increased. Lastly, and I posted this before, where is this range of Tuesday's trade in comparison to previous COT Reports? Based on what I just posted, I have to believe Large Specs are Net SHORT within this range.

Below is a chart of the 5m bars that made up the range of the 1 hour bars posted above. At 8:35 I drew the "blue line" and the rest of the session unfolded as seen.

This is the same chart as above just shifted a little to the left. Doesn't this chart make it look so easy? I don't want to wander off topic here, but just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

This is the first chart re-posted, in the "Meat Loaf" post I outlined another channel that played out during the ADP Report, that was an UP move consisting of the red bars (Wednesday) on this chart. Price is still within the COT Data "range" and the Daily Bulletin shows OI dropped a little during Wednesday's trade BUT some profit taking around Wednesday's run to 1.3550 ought to be expected. So, the ECB left rates unchanged and the white bar on the far right formed. Look where this bar is, still sitting in the range from Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I posted this just prior to Mario's comments, "Trying to guess direction is meaningless, BUT my 8 Ball says, "Look North!" Why "look north"? Because I still haven't seen anything up to this point that makes me believe my "Sideways to Up" view of the market has changed. I'm certainly not going to pretend to GUESS what words might come out of Mario Draghi's mouth, and I'll NEVER recommend holding a position into a ECB Press Conference. But you asked me for my analysis and this is basically it.

WilleeMac 
Prospect, KY. USA

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Infinity
Trading: /CL
Thanks Given: 309
Thanks Received: 617

@Cashish

Thank you very much

For those stopping by or may have overlooked it, earlier in this thread I posted a COT.xls

-Bill

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

There's no School like the Old School

Guess What?

Guess what, I'm watching two price levels 1.3700 and 1.3500.

Here we go again, by now everyone should be very familiar with these price levels, we've been here since the government shut-down back in October. But that's the way it works, chutes and ladders. This week all eyes are on Janet, remember, her prepared statement will be released 90 minutes before her "live" speech. Twice she speaks, Tuesday and Thursday, who knows what she'll have to say, but I'm sure there will be plenty of grandstanding from a lot of dead beat politicians hoping to get reelected next fall.

I'm going to throw a couple charts up and highlight the obvious, resistance above and support below.

The chart below is a Volume Profile of the "visible bars" it also includes the Value Area.

So, same story different day, we need "someone or something" to move this market. IMO, it's Janet's turn! In the meantime get back to basics, locate the swing highs and lows and watch the process of price discovery unfold. Keep a close eye on Friday's high, 50% level and VWAP those are always on the top of my list on Sunday night, you have to start somewhere. Once price starts to find a direction, keep it simple and look for tests of failed moves from Friday, or old levels such as these. These are only examples. You may have noticed the UP chart is a 1 hr chart and the DOWN chart is a 5m chart. If you do look at these levels as price unfolds, use the same time frame chart you normally trade, again these are only examples.

Thanked by:

shuglu 
Melbourne

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Amp/CQG
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 312
Thanks Received: 94

@Cashish

I enjoy your journal as much for a glimpse of your experience as to the fact it helps me to think for myself. Thanks for your considered response and I realised post session that I had a short bias and was drawing my TL's based on this, not the facts.

Justin

Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

shuglu View Post
@Cashish

I enjoy your journal as much for a glimpse of your experience as to the fact it helps me to think for myself. Thanks for your considered response and I realized post session that I had a short bias and was drawing my TL's based on this, not the facts.

Justin

",,, it helps me to think for myself," if you are walking away from this thread thinking along these lines, my efforts have been successful, thanks.

Thanked by:

Cashish 
Miami FL USA

Cashish View Post
This week all eyes are on Janet, remember, her prepared statement will be released 90 minutes before her "live" speech.

Here's her prepared statement.

FRB: Testimony--Yellen, Semiannual Monetary Policy Report to the Congress--February 11, 2014

She's got the touch!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 12, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts