NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Risk of Ruin

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 33 posts (301 thanks)
    2. looks_two vvhg with 17 posts (43 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 17 posts (81 thanks)
    4. looks_4 stephenszpak with 9 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 9.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two TheTrend with 7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vvhg with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 97,101 views
    2. thumb_up 652 thanks given
    3. group 89 followers
    1. forum 147 posts
    2. attach_file 43 attachments

Search this Thread

Risk of Ruin

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

ridingthewav View Post
Would there be a practical application of this approach for position sizing to trading stocks, not futures?

For example, modifying the Risk Adjusted Optimal F spreadsheet to incorporate an Entry, Stop Loss, Take Profit Price on a single trade, where the calculation of those represents the Average Win/Average Loss (per share)?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to the commission "Points" how does this translate into dollar value per trade? Is it representative of a percentage of the trade eg 1pt = 1%? And same question as to slippage, does points represent percentage?

I am not sure who developed that tool, but they would be the person to ask. I did not develop it.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Freedom303 
Stuttgart, BW, Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 11

Thanks a lot for interesting discussions and work on excel..please see below an interesting paper on experiment in this direction.. enjoy reading🙂

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: Flipcoin.pdf
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

Freedom303 View Post
please see below an interesting paper on experiment in this direction.. enjoy reading🙂

WOW. Amazed that finance students/professionals would perform that badly. Love the conclusions.

Probably good reading for most traders. Unfortunately trade sizing is really a function of probability/statistics, which is often something many are not good at.

Thanked by:
 Freedom303 
Stuttgart, BW, Germany

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 11

Yes i find it more interesting that.. sometimes we trade just out of boredom..our brain seeks action and dopamine.. excitement of being right and anger of being wrong.. both🙂, so i am doing since months an experiment .. take crazy and wild trades on TV and more measured moves on NT Sim in parallel..its working so far but interesting would be when i will switch to NT Live🙂 lets see ..however excel here in the thread was an eyeopener .. u can only bet x% for saying long in game.. its about staying long .. focusing on process, results will be a side effect..( easier said than done lol)
What an opportunity trading presents to us to look inside our mind.. all spaces .. glad to have it🙂

Thanked by:

Small Dog 
Sydney NSW Australia

Platform: TradeStation, Oanda
Trading: Forex, index futures
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 151

Freedom303 View Post
Thanks a lot for interesting discussions and work on excel..please see below an interesting paper on experiment in this direction.. enjoy reading🙂

This is a nice illustration of the importance of money management. In Ryan Jones' The Trading Game there is a similar experiment with coin flip and 1:2 risk-reward. Heads - you lose $1, tails - win $2. Depending on the percentage of capital you risk on each flip the end result is vastly different. I ran similar simulation in Excel and got the same results.

In the movie Rounders Matt Damon's character makes a point. Poker, in essence, is the game of chance. However, every year it is the same ten guys sitting around the table at the world tournament final. I think trading is similar. Everyone of us is dealt the same cards, yet only a few make it, and even fewer make it big. Food for thought.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

Small Dog View Post
This is a nice illustration of the importance of money management. In Ryan Jones' The Trading Game there is a similar experiment with coin flip and 1:2 risk-reward. Heads - you lose $1, tails - win $2. Depending on the percentage of capital you risk on each flip the end result is vastly different. I ran similar simulation in Excel and got the same results.

In the movie Rounders Matt Damon's character makes a point. Poker, in essence, is the game of chance. However, every year it is the same ten guys sitting around the table at the world tournament final. I think trading is similar. Everyone of us is dealt the same cards, yet only a few make it, and even fewer make it big. Food for thought.

Too bad Ryan did not follow his own own advice - according to his broker.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Small Dog 
Sydney NSW Australia

That the dominant story, isn't it? Not that he was playing a coin throwing game with his broker. Breaking the rules that were tested brings less than optimal results. I've done it myself a couple of times.

Small Dog 
Sydney NSW Australia

ridingthewav View Post
Would there be a practical application of this approach for position sizing to trading stocks, not futures?

For example, modifying the Risk Adjusted Optimal F spreadsheet to incorporate an Entry, Stop Loss, Take Profit Price on a single trade, where the calculation of those represents the Average Win/Average Loss (per share)?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to the commission "Points" how does this translate into dollar value per trade? Is it representative of a percentage of the trade eg 1pt = 1%? And same question as to slippage, does points represent percentage?

I think position sizing is most relevant (crucial) for leveraged instruments. I am not sure if it makes any difference If you're buying stocks at nominal value.

Last Updated on October 14, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts