NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Risk of Ruin

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 33 posts (301 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 17 posts (81 thanks)
    3. looks_3 vvhg with 17 posts (43 thanks)
    4. looks_4 stephenszpak with 9 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 9.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two TheTrend with 7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 vvhg with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 95,443 views
    2. thumb_up 652 thanks given
    3. group 89 followers
    1. forum 147 posts
    2. attach_file 43 attachments

Search this Thread

Risk of Ruin

Ian Lavoie
Calgary, Canada

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 9

Big Mike View Post

Kaufman gives us the following formula for calculating the risk of ruin:
risk_of_ruin = ((1 - Edge)/(1 + Edge)) ^ Capital_Units
Edge is the probability of a win.

There are a few different formulas floating around, and I've seen some requests to incorporate

I thought I would give a recap of online calculators that are out there since this post, as things have changed:

1) Chris Capre has updated his site to show an interactive calculator instead of just the published tables. The weakness of the calculator as well as the formula it is based on ignores the number of trades placed, and makes no provision for a profit target to be reached before being ruined.

2) The Au.Tra.Sy blog has an interactive calculator based on a monte carlo simulator. It does take inot account the number of trades (periods). It additionally allows you to set a drawdown level instead of ruin. However, it does not allow for a profit target.

3) Forex Scam Alerts has an online risk tool based on monte carlo simulations. It also considers the number of trades, and allows you to set a drawdown level as well. Further, it includes profit targets (retirement), which allows you to see what the probability is of hitting that target before reaching your drawdown limit. The downside of this tool is that it doesn't allow you to set an value you want, but only predetermined values that the tool looks up in a huge database on Monte Carlo simulations.

There are other similar calculators, but they are on blackjack sites, so are not built to be as applicable for traders.

Let me know if I have missed any good ones.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks

DominionCuentas 
Oviedo Asturias Spain

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 1

Dear All,

I just want to say this:

"Risk of ruin has absolutely zero practical application in trading. Running through the calculations to determine the risk of ruin on any particular method is also completely useless."

'The Trading Game' by Ryan Jones.

Don't waste your time fellas.

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

virgo739 View Post
Dear All,

I just want to say this:

"Risk of ruin has absolutely zero practical application in trading. Running through the calculations to determine the risk of ruin on any particular method is also completely useless."

Risk of ruin is the key to position sizing. Position sizing is the key to growing a trading account, once you have found an edge and mastered trading psychology.

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,440
Thanks Received: 3,789

virgo739 View Post
Dear All,

I just want to say this:

I would like you explain in details what you find useless about it. Do you understand what it truly measures for each trader?

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 706
Thanks Received: 3,854

virgo739 View Post
Dear All,

I just want to say this:

I 100% disagree with that statement. If you don't know your risk of ruin then you can't possibly size your positions.

The probability of ruin matrix is a calculation based on several pieces of data. First, it assumes 100 events; in this case that would be 100 trades. Next, it defines ruin as 50% drawdown from starting equity. Last, it assumes that the methodology used to initiate each event is always the same in every event; in other words each trade done during the 100 trades in the sample set is executed for exactly the same reason.

According to this matrix, if you do 100 trades, and have 42% winners and pull two dollars out for every dollar you give back, your probability of ruin is a little less than 14%. If you calculate the numbers yourself you will find that (42 x 2) - (58 x 1) actually yields a profit of $26, but the ruin matrix is using the full scope of probability theory. That includes the possibility that all the losing trades will come in the first 50% before the sample set of 100 trades is complete.

Notice that a high percentage of winning trades is not an indication that you will make money net in your account. Someone who has 55% winning trades to losing trades has a worse risk of ruin if he wins about the same amount as he loses every time. It actually has a better probability for your account if you have fewer winning trades but hold those winners for a higher profit/loss ratio. Of course, the best of all worlds is to be in the far right side of the matrix. A trader with 60% or more winning trades and only a slightly better profit/loss ratio than 1:1 has no chance of ruin.

--------------------------------------------------------
- Trade what you see. Invest in what you believe -
--------------------------------------------------------
Neonmouse
Moscow, Russia

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Silver Dragon View Post
Found this out of the Internet. Numbers look in line but would like some verfication.

Notes:
  • Cells highlighted in Yellow are what you fill in.
  • All other cells have formulas. Do not change!!
SD

You actually have mistake in your spreadsheet when calculating Z and A.
Pay attention to signs.

It must be like this:

Z = %profitable * avgwin% + %losing * avg loss%,
where avg loss% should be already with minus.

The same logic for A...

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

From another post.
SMCJB View Post
Then I built a quick Monte Carlo/Risk of Ruin spreadsheet. The spreadsheet calculates 500 simulations of 100 trades. The two illustrations show the impact of starting account size of a theoretical trading system with an average trade PnL of $500 and Standard Deviation of $1500. Notice how better the starting account size of $10k is than $5k. This is driven by the much lower number of simulations that get 'ruined'.

brach 
Austin, TX

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT, SC, MT
Trading: NQ, ES, Micros
Thanks Given: 187
Thanks Received: 269

A very interesting thread that I'm obviously late to.

Just thought I would share something I read a while back on Johann Lotter's (aka jcl) "Financial Hacker" blog.

He uses a long-run theoretical math approach to argue that however you determine your % risk for each trade, the % should scale sub-linearly with the size of your account. Specifically, he suggests that % risk should scale proportionally to the square root of account size. i.e. if you double your account, the absolute amount risked should increase by (1.41/2) or approx 70.5% instead of 100%.

If you do scale linearly, in the long-run (and he does mean LONG run aka infinitely long), the risk of ruin is 100%. This may be too conservative for practical purposes because as Keynes said we're all dead in the long run... but I think it's still worth keeping in mind if scaling linearly makes you feel uncomfortable.

In addition to authoring this blog, jcl is the author of the "Black Book of Financial Hacking" and one of the lead developers of the zorro backtesting tool.

See section 9 in this blog post: https://financial-hacker.com/build-better-strategies-part-3-the-development-process/

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

Recently, @SMCJB made the below post in a different thread:

Here is the full post:

SMCJB View Post
Sorry @datahogg I wasn't trying to contradict you I was supporting your observation that these scenario's create very skewed distributions.

When it comes to something simple like coin flips, or anything were probabilities and payouts are fixed, it's often not hard to get actual results from closed form calculations rather than simulations. For example since 1/(0.5^20) = 1,048,576 we can say that if you flip a coin 20 times in a row, you have an approximate 1 in Million chance of getting 20 heads and also a 1 in Million chance of 20 tails.

The big limitation of this is that these calcs are all based upon final outcomes and do not consider path dependency which can be important. For example assume you start with $10k, lose 10% of your money 7 trades in a row and then make 10% of money in the next 8 trades. Simple calcs (0.9^7*1.1^*8) will tell you that you end up with $10253 a winning scenario. In reality at the end of the 7th trade your down to $4782 in equity, and hence if you need $5000 in margin to place the 8th trade you can't make the trade, you are 'ruined' and your final outcome is $4782 and not $10253.

If you flip a coin 50 times, you win 50% on a head, but lose 50% on a tail, and you consider yourself ruined when you lose 90% of your starting pot, then I believe almost 90% of sims/scenarios will end in you being ruined. Just under 7% will finish with less than they started but not be ruined (average 32.6% of starting pot). Finally the 3% of people who finish with more than they started with, finish with a pot on average almost 3000% of what they started with. This is heavily skewed by the top 0.00015% (1 in 6538) who average a return over 300,000%.

It's actually quite easy to convert these numbers based upon how much you want to risk. In the same 50/50 game with +50/-50 payouts, if you risk 6% of your pot, then this is the same as a 50/50 game with payout +3/-3 where you bet everything. No nobody is ruined, because even if you lose 50 times in a row you still have 21% of your initial pot (0.97^50). This is based upon betting 6% of your CURRENT pot at each bet. If you bet 6% of your INITIAL pot at each bet, the numbers are very different as obviously you can only lose 16 times more than you win before you are ruined

I really liked this post and talking about these topics, and it reminded me of my old old Risk of Ruin thread. So that is why I am cross-posting @SMCJB's contribution here, because I really want members to take a look at Risk of Ruin and learn about it, incorporate it into their thought process and their trading plans.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

@kevinkdog just published a nice blog post on 'Risk of Ruin' at his site.

https://www.kjtradingsystems.com/risk-of-ruin.html

Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 14, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts