NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Book Discussion: Trading Price Action Trends, Reversals, Ranges by Al Brooks

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one traderdavidt with 10 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two qqqqqiang with 7 posts (14 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mayurb4 with 7 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 6 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Cloudy with 4.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Bookworm with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Boomer34 with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 qqqqqiang with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 75,461 views
    2. thumb_up 131 thanks given
    3. group 40 followers
    1. forum 102 posts
    2. attach_file 19 attachments

Search this Thread

Book Discussion: Trading Price Action Trends, Reversals, Ranges by Al Brooks

mayurb4
Pune, India

Thanks Given: 46
Thanks Received: 8

Is this thread still active? because I've got a couple of questions to ask fellow traders.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: GC/MGC, MCL, MES
Thanks Given: 10,585
Thanks Received: 5,870

mayurb4 View Post
Is this thread still active? because I've got a couple of questions to ask fellow traders.

I would definitely fire away. There are a lot of members that are Brooks style price-action traders and are generous with their knowledge.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 successforum   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 3

What would you suggest is a good approach to learning Al's stuff. I have the PRice Action book and found it really hard going.

Thanked by:
mayurb4
Pune, India

My questions being...
1. Al mostly talks about the US markets and the statistical usefulness of his methods in the US markets. I'm already harlfway through reading his book triology and was wondering how much effective his methods are when traded in the NON-USA markets(NOTE: This doesn't mean I doubt effectiveness of his methods). I'm not looking for any specific answer but I just want to be at least 50% certain that his methods will indeed help me in my preffered market(ie. Indian equity and Commodity derivatives Market. I don't trade Equity/Currency derivaties.) Sure, he himself states that his methods are subject to price action movement which happens all the time in all the markets around the world. What I think is Price action setups are subject to the market efficiency and not all markets are as efficient as the USA ones are. There's a chance that my understanding is completely wrong. Again, I'm not looking for specific answers. I just need to know your take on Al's methods' effectiveness on the markets all around the world as opposed to just the US markets.

well, I've yet another query, but I think I'll save it for later.

Thanks in advance.
-
Mayur

Thanked by:

bobc 
Boksburg, South Africa

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IG Markets
Broker: Ideal
Trading: Stocks,Indexes
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 33

mayurb4 View Post
My questions being...
1. Al mostly talks about the US markets and the statistical usefulness of his methods in the US markets. I'm already harlfway through reading his book triology and was wondering how much effective his methods are when traded in the NON-USA markets(NOTE: This doesn't mean I doubt effectiveness of his methods). I'm not looking for any specific answer but I just want to be at least 50% certain that his methods will indeed help me in my preffered market(ie. Indian equity and Commodity derivatives Market. I don't trade Equity/Currency derivaties.) Sure, he himself states that his methods are subject to price action movement which happens all the time in all the markets around the world. What I think is Price action setups are subject to the market efficiency and not all markets are as efficient as the USA ones are. There's a chance that my understanding is completely wrong. Again, I'm not looking for specific answers. I just need to know your take on Al's methods' effectiveness on the markets all around the world as opposed to just the US markets.

Thanks in advance.
-
Mayur

Hi Mayur
I wasted 4 years of my trading life (2009 =2013) trying to fathom Al Brooks. And I am English speaking.No doubt others have worked out his writing style, BUT I have never seen a trader show his profit using Brooks. And I have never heard of a prop trading firm using his methods.
The most important point is low trading costs , like $2/ 3 per trade. Otherwise you cant scalp.
Only the US offers these low costs.
Do yourself a favour and learn the STRAT. Google it.
Regards
bobc

Thanked by:
 Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 801
Thanks Received: 1,193

bobc View Post
Hi Mayur
I wasted 4 years of my trading life (2009 =2013) trying to fathom Al Brooks. And I am English speaking.No doubt others have worked out his writing style, BUT I have never seen a trader show his profit using Brooks. And I have never heard of a prop trading firm using his methods.
The most important point is low trading costs , like $2/ 3 per trade. Otherwise you cant scalp.
Regards
bobc

I have never seen a trader show his profit using Rob Smith's STRAT method (although he has some cheerleaders on the forum). And I have never heard of a prop trading firm using his methods

One can scalp the Bund (FGBL on Eurex) for 1.13 eur. Sure there are more.

@mayurb4: Of course you can always ask but do yourself a favour and just try it out yourself (to see if it works or not for you).

Thanked by:

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: GC/MGC, MCL, MES
Thanks Given: 10,585
Thanks Received: 5,870

mayurb4 View Post
My questions being...

Thanks in advance.
-
Mayur

I'm not the best at answering these type of questions, but I'll take a crack at it...I have never traded a non-CME market, or any non-US market so I have no direct first hand experience with those markets. And I'm reluctant to speak for the guy, but I think I have heard Brooks say in a webinar (somewhere, at sometime...) that he is confident that his methodology is sound for all screen traded markets. This is because our trading screens display human behavioral patterns that repeat to a certain degree. So as long as a market is being traded by humans, or code written by humans, his methodology should hold up.

His books are very dense. There is a lot of technical information packed on every page, so they can be a tough slog. And I think they require a massive amount of study for mastery. I've been looking at his material for nearly two years and I suspect I'm nowhere near competency . . But I think the juice is worth the squeeze. That's what you will need to decide for yourself. .

Thanked by:
mayurb4
Pune, India

bobc View Post
Hi Mayur

Regards

bobc

Bob,
I’m sorry to hear that u had to spend 4 valuable years of your trading career just to come to an understanding that Al’s methods are not useful FOR You.

I’m definitely going to research about the STRAT thing you mentioned, but before that I think I’ll have my share of experience with the Al methods. I hope you will understand my perspective.

Thanks for your feedback Bob, I do really appreciate it.
Happy trading

-Mayur

Thanked by:
mayurb4
Pune, India

Mich62 View Post
I have never seen a trader show his profit using Rob Smith's STRAT method (although he has some cheerleaders on the forum). And I have never heard of a prop trading firm using his methods

One can scalp the Bund (FGBL on Eurex) for 1.13 eur. Sure there are more.

@mayurb4: Of course you can always ask but do yourself a favour and just try it out yourself (to see if it works or not for you).

Hello Mitch,
Absolutely. I’ve already been going through his material — including books, YT videos, blog, forums, webinars, etc.— implementing his methods in the market side by side with mixed results. To put it straight, what I think you are suggesting is the hard(and the most reliable) way of learning things as opposed to the easier way(learning from others’ experiences). And it has its own merits of course. I think I’ll just stick to your suggestion.
Thanks for your valuable time and response.
Happy trading.

-Mayur

Thanked by:
mayurb4
Pune, India

Salao View Post
And I'm reluctant to speak for the guy, but I think I have heard Brooks say in a webinar (somewhere, at sometime...) that he is confident that his methodology is sound for all screen traded markets. This is because our trading screens display human behavioral patterns that repeat to a certain degree. So as long as a market is being traded by humans, or code written by humans, his methodology should hold up.

His books are very dense. There is a lot of technical information packed on every page, so they can be a tough slog. And I think they require a massive amount of study for mastery. I've been looking at his material for nearly two years and I suspect I'm nowhere near competency . . But I think the juice is worth the squeeze. That's what you will need to decide for yourself. .

Hi Salao,
Yes yes yes. I too have heard him say the same thing. And that is why I’m really hopeful about his methods working in my preferred market. At the same time I’m also a little bit sceptical about this whole things usefulness in non-US markets. Anyways, I’m going to try Al Brooks for at least a six more months now and then I’ll have my conclusion about usefulness of his methods in my markets and then if satisfied I’ll continue to study him even further.

As for the books, I used to think it’s my English language skill that’s keeping me behind the wheel, but now I’m pretty sure the books are in fact really heavily packed with the content.

Thanks for your wise words, and have a good time ahead. Happy Trading.

-Mayur

Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 19, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts