NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Book Discussion: Trading Price Action Trends, Reversals, Ranges by Al Brooks

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one traderdavidt with 10 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two qqqqqiang with 7 posts (14 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mayurb4 with 7 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 6 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Cloudy with 4.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Bookworm with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Boomer34 with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 qqqqqiang with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 74,729 views
    2. thumb_up 131 thanks given
    3. group 40 followers
    1. forum 102 posts
    2. attach_file 19 attachments

Search this Thread

Book Discussion: Trading Price Action Trends, Reversals, Ranges by Al Brooks

traderdavidt 
Hong Kong

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: www.x500.pro
Trading: YM
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 138

Lornz View Post
Don't feel bad! Judging by the little I've read of his works, I find it amazing how complicated he makes relatively simple things.

Personally, I don't think his books are worth the effort. I'd rather study Livermore, Wyckoff and Edwards & Magee.

Yes, probably a primer with Edwards & Magee and the others you've mentioned would be a good idea.

I don't feel bad, just I feel more dumb now! lol, Still, however, willing to learn as I would like to understand the REAL fundamentals of what's going on in a price chart, Price Action.

Thanks

James

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

traderdavidt 
Hong Kong

Big Mike View Post
James, the point of this thread is to discuss the book. So you are in the right place.

Just start asking questions.

Also, Al Brooks will be back mid January for a new futures.io (formerly BMT) webinar. Just FYI for all. We will give away some more books.

Mike

Thanks Big Mike,

You know what got me interested in Price Action was actually seeing your old blog video regarding Price Action and the forum thread in this Elite Circle a few days ago... I immediately jumped onto the bandwagon and I now doubting the real value of each and every indicator I have used in the past, including the ones I have written myself! lol

So, it's clear I am a noob when it comes to Price Action so I will be asking some really dumb questions, however someone has to do it and hopefully others may learn from my stupidity or curiosity to understand better the foundations.

What could very well be improved in the book would be some clearer diagrams or the use of them, there's a complete lack of them! And for a book where everything is Bar Formation in respect to location and previous bars, I'd say it's pretty important to be able to show what one is trying to explain.

For instance where a diagram of two could have been nice, pass all the introductory waffle (where Al made many valid observations with why Price Action is the only way to trade) he begins a section called Bar Counting Basics: High1, High2, Low1, Low2 (just before Part1, Price Action).

I felt that if he was going to explain something basic, why did it sound so complicated???

"A reliable sign that a pullback in a bull trend or in a trading range has ended is when the current bar's high extends at least one tick above the high of the prior bar. This leads to a useful concept of counting the number of times that this occurs, which is called bar counting. In a sideways or downward move in a bull trend or a trading range, the first bar whose high is above the high of the prior bar is a high1, and this ends the first leg of the sideways or down move, although this leg may become a small leg in a larger pullback. If the market does not turn into a bull swing and instead continues sideways or down, label the next occurance of a bar with a high above the high of the prior bar as a high2, ending the second leg.

A high2 in a bull trend and a low2 in a bear trend are often referred to as ABC corrections where the first leg is the A, the change in direction that forms the high1 or low1 entry is the B, and the final leg of the pullback is the C. The breakout from the C is a high2 entry bar in a bull ABC correction and a low2 entry bar in a bear ABC correction.

If the bull pullback ends after a third leg, the buy setup is a high3 and is usually a type of wedge bull flag. When a bear fally ends in a third leg, it is a low3 sell setup and usually a wedge bear flag.

Some bull pullbacks can grow further and form a high4. When a high4 forms, it sometimes begins with a high2 and this high2 fails to go very far. It is instead followed by another two legs down and a second high2, and the entire move is simply a high2 in a higher time frame. At other times, the high4 is a small spike and channel bear trend where the first of second push down is a bear spike and the next pushes down are in a bear channel..... etc..."

Now, I was reading that last night, and I'm now left more confused even after reading that 3 times.... maybe it's my brain telling me I am stupid....????? But it does seem like a long winded explanation for something that could have taken many less words?

Anyone understand exactly what he is saying and can put it in a diagram?

James

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,534

James, you might also read:

As I think some of the basic concepts were covered there.

Also you might check the two Al Brooks webinars in the webinar section of nexusfi.com (formerly BMT), as I think his visual presentations are more clear than the books.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

traderdavidt 
Hong Kong

Big Mike View Post
James, you might also read:

As I think some of the basic concepts were covered there.

Also you might check the two Al Brooks webinars in the webinar section of nexusfi.com (formerly BMT), as I think his visual presentations are more clear than the books.

Mike

Thank you, appreciated, I am a new member so I've not found all the nice goodies yet of this forum. Also, I missed that thread in my search on Price Action. I will try to be more thorough in future searches.

I'll check these out and continue reading and learning.

Best

James

Thanked by:
 TraderTed 
Hamburg + Germany

Platform: Motive Wave, Oanda
Thanks Received: 15

Does anyone got the book as kindle version? I would like to read it at my computer with "kindle for mac" software (I have no iPad - so the iBooks option is not for me).

However I have had some bad experiences with illustrations in kindle ebooks being very small, and not zoomable.

For ex. I own Scott Carney´s "Harmonic Trader" and the charts are very small. If you take a look at the physical book, the charts fill the whole page. So there the kindle version really is a waste of money.

So my question is, has anybody the kindle version of "Trading price Action Trends", and how good or bad are the chart images viewable at the computer?

-Ted

traderdavidt 
Hong Kong

TraderTed View Post
Does anyone got the book as kindle version? I would like to read it at my computer with "kindle for mac" software (I have no iPad - so the iBooks option is not for me).

However I have had some bad experiences with illustrations in kindle ebooks being very small, and not zoomable.

For ex. I own Scott Carney´s "Harmonic Trader" and the charts are very small. If you take a look at the physical book, the charts fill the whole page. So there the kindle version really is a waste of money.

So my question is, has anybody the kindle version of "Trading price Action Trends", and how good or bad are the chart images viewable at the computer?

-Ted

Hi TraderTed,

I have the kindle version and have removed the DRM (I bought the electronic kindle version, but I don't have a kindle! I just wanted the book real bad and quickly!) and have converted it even to epub format for my iPad so that I can load it into iBooks.

The pictures are good, I can see everything, however Al Brooks mentioned that he has released all of his diagrams that he uses in his book onto his website and they are larger and more clearer. So this allows you to have the book in one hand and a zoomable diagram on the other.

Thanks

James

buzzsaw 
Leesburg, VA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 78
Thanks Received: 35

Jblunt89 View Post
Hi TraderTed,

I have the kindle version and have removed the DRM (I bought the electronic kindle version, but I don't have a kindle! I just wanted the book real bad and quickly!) and have converted it even to epub format for my iPad so that I can load it into iBooks.

The pictures are good, I can see everything, however Al Brooks mentioned that he has released all of his diagrams that he uses in his book onto his website and they are larger and more clearer. So this allows you to have the book in one hand and a zoomable diagram on the other.

Thanks

James

How did you remove the DRM? I'm using the kindle app for my iPhone so I can read most places. The charts on his site will definitely help me as well. Will go look for his site now. Thanks!

Just started reading. Plodding along with time available...

ikeaboy 
Stockholm

Platform: NinjaTrader, Multicharts, Tradestation
Trading: US and Canadian Stocks
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 5

i wanted to ask if anyone knows if it is also necessary to read the first book too, since it is not that readable...

do the new books cover all the material from the old ones?

traderdavidt 
Hong Kong

buzzsaw View Post
How did you remove the DRM? I'm using the kindle app for my iPhone so I can read most places. The charts on his site will definitely help me as well. Will go look for his site now. Thanks!

Just started reading. Plodding along with time available...

Hi Buzzsaw,

You MUST own the book to be able to remove the DRM, from then, you can convert it into any format you wish. You can find the procedure on youtube, just search for it as I don't want to write the whole procedure down here!

If you have any problems though, just PM me and I'll help you with it.

Thanks

James

Thanked by:

Bookworm 
Long Island, NY

Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, index options and futures/futures options
Thanks Given: 66
Thanks Received: 198

ikeaboy View Post
i wanted to ask if anyone knows if it is also necessary to read the first book too, since it is not that readable...

do the new books cover all the material from the old ones?

The three new books will replace the old one. All the material in the bar by bar book has been expanded and the emphasis is more on actually trading the setups. The new ones are really three separately bound volumes of one big book: think Lord of the Rings.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 19, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts