NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 843 posts (4,515 thanks)
    2. looks_two redbarntrades with 59 posts (147 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 28 posts (117 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Okina with 23 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 5.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 redbarntrades with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 454,916 views
    2. thumb_up 6,047 thanks given
    3. group 648 followers
    1. forum 1,639 posts
    2. attach_file 251 attachments

Search this Thread

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

tabrun 
South Africa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 33

I would be interested in a live session

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 lancelottrader 
west palm beach florida usa
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninja trader
Broker: Optimus Futures/ Rithmic
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 1,113
Thanks Received: 5,386

mwf2220 View Post
I'd love to see you trade live, too.

In watching some of your videos, it looks like you trade for just a couple hours in the morning (US time) with 3-4 trades per day. Is this your normal schedule/trading frequency? I'm an overtrading fiend, so I'm trying to visualize how people who know what they're doing approach their trading day. I'm also in a different time zone, so I often trade the European open. I've reduced my target and stops to around 20 ticks for these sessions, but is there anything else you'd recommend outside of the general principles you've mentioned in the webinars and your trading videos?

Thanks for the time you put in sharing your knowledge and experience.

Mike

Thanks for your comment. I took many more trades in the past when I had smaller targets which were mainly 40 tick target and 40 tick stop. On that type of trade, there seems to be many opportunities during a session. There are, however, many days where the market conditions are either choppy or overly volatile and it's not always easy to initially be able to read the price action. What would happen is I would have many good winning days but also several days where I would hit my max daily loss limit. This resulted in only being slightly profitable at the end of many months.

Since I wanted to see if I could improve that, I have been trying a different risk/reward ratio of 100 tick targets and 50 tick stop losses. This change has reduced my trading frequency since there are less 100 tick target moves then 40 tick trades. This means I wait for setups that are at certain levels and that I feel have room to run at least 100 ticks. This alone helps me not overtrade. Since you said you are only going for 20 ticks, it is much easier to take too many trades and get caught up in "noisy" moves.

Also, I have found that there are certain time periods where price is more likely to make a sizable push. I call them Hotzone times and they generally occur as follows: 9:40-9:50 am est, 10:16-10:25 am est, 10:35-10:45 am est, 11:00-11:10 am est and 11:17-11:25 am est. I try to limit my trades to around those time periods since that is when things can happen. Perhaps if you scroll through a few months of charts during the European session, you might see some time brackets that tend to make "pushes".

So, I generally am done by 12pm est and start at 9:30 am est. However, sometimes in the afternoon I will set some price alerts that give audible signals when they are hit. I will then scan my charts and if I like something enough, I will take an afternoon trade.

Failure is not an option
Started this thread Reply With Quote

pfsthib 
Sulphur, LA USA

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 37
Thanks Received: 82

I would enjoy following a live stream. I also trade NQ

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

DavidBodhi 
Milwaukee, WI, USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Equities
Thanks Given: 23
Thanks Received: 207

I'd be quite interested in a live stream of your trading.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Botts 
Penetanguishene, Ontario, Canada

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader-8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage, Continuum
Trading: ZB, MES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 4,019
Thanks Received: 3,605

lancelottrader View Post
Thanks for your comment.
Also, I have found that there are certain time periods where price is more likely to make a sizable push. I call them Hotzone times and they generally occur as follows: 9:40-9:50 am est,
10:16-10:25 am est, 10:35-10:45 am est, 11:00-11:10 am est and 11:17-11:25 am est. I try to limit my trades to around those time periods since that is when things can happen.

So, I generally am done by 12pm est and start at 9:30 am est.

I found your comment regarding "10:16-10:25 am est, 10:35-10:45 am est," interesting.

I've always paid attention to the 10:15 to 10:45 ET time period, watching for a Counter Trend move to develop,
("Counter Trend" being Counter to the direction established off the RTH Open)

They don't always materialize, (as in the following screenshot) but often times they do.

CL Post NYMEX Close (2021-05-19_15-25-16-ET)

Trade well,
Botts

R.I.P. John Bottomley (Botts), 1956-2022.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 426

Good morning,

In relation to trying out Lancelottrader's 100 tick strategy, I took this trade yesterday the 20th. I have company and only had a few minutes to turn on the PC just a couple of minutes after the 6:30 news. There was tight consolidation in the European session. and price kept banging up against the 13250 level earlier. After the news, price broke to the upside. As soon as it retraced down to the 8ma on the 10 sec. chart, I went long with a 17 tick stop. I just didn't feel that it needed a wide stop on this trade. I trailed price once it started rocketing by placing stop just below the low of each new level. I was stopped out at 99 ticks. Shut down after that and made breakfast for the company.

The attached chart is an adaptation of Lancelottrader's TrendGraber. I seem to be more drawn to the 5-10 second chart vs. the 5 range. Maybe one day!

It was great to pocket some change before breakfast.

Thanks Lance!

lancelottrader 
west palm beach florida usa
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninja trader
Broker: Optimus Futures/ Rithmic
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 1,113
Thanks Received: 5,386

redbarntrades View Post
Good morning,

In relation to trying out Lancelottrader's 100 tick strategy, I took this trade yesterday the 20th. I have company and only had a few minutes to turn on the PC just a couple of minutes after the 6:30 news. There was tight consolidation in the European session. and price kept banging up against the 13250 level earlier. After the news, price broke to the upside. As soon as it retraced down to the 8ma on the 10 sec. chart, I went long with a 17 tick stop. I just didn't feel that it needed a wide stop on this trade. I trailed price once it started rocketing by placing stop just below the low of each new level. I was stopped out at 99 ticks. Shut down after that and made breakfast for the company.

The attached chart is an adaptation of Lancelottrader's TrendGraber. I seem to be more drawn to the 5-10 second chart vs. the 5 range. Maybe one day!

It was great to pocket some change before breakfast.

Thanks Lance!

Wow. Very cool trade.

Failure is not an option
Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 426

lancelottrader View Post
Wow. Very cool trade.

Thank you! Slight correction about the chart. It is a 10 sec. chart with an 8 SMA (10sec), an 8 SMA (based on a 1 minute chart) and a 10SMA (based on a 5 minute chart).

When price came back down to the 8SMA (1 minute), that was my "get ready" location.

Great weekend to all.

4ptzTradr 
Charlotte, NC

steve2222 View Post
Same time period and same experience for me. Although I only lost a very little bit of money over the 13 years until becoming profitable, I did spend an awful amount of time going back onto SIM (after losing from time to time) and tinkering with my trading plan until I got something that worked - and more importantly worked for me, for who I am. I too went through periods of feeling failure but was determined to be one of the whatever small % it is of successful day traders.

Thanks Lance for your thoughts, it is reassuring to read of others who have been through the same journey.

Best Trading Book for working through Trading Flaws "The Mental Game of Trading" by Jared Tendler

4ptzTradr 
Charlotte, NC

steve2222 View Post
Same time period and same experience for me. Although I only lost a very little bit of money over the 13 years until becoming profitable, I did spend an awful amount of time going back onto SIM (after losing from time to time) and tinkering with my trading plan until I got something that worked - and more importantly worked for me, for who I am. I too went through periods of feeling failure but was determined to be one of the whatever small % it is of successful day traders.

Thanks Lance for your thoughts, it is reassuring to read of others who have been through the same journey.

Best Trading Book for working through Trading Flaws "The Mental Game of Trading" by Jared Tendler

Last Updated on April 11, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts