NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 843 posts (4,515 thanks)
    2. looks_two redbarntrades with 59 posts (147 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 28 posts (117 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Okina with 23 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 5.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 redbarntrades with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 449,111 views
    2. thumb_up 6,047 thanks given
    3. group 647 followers
    1. forum 1,639 posts
    2. attach_file 251 attachments

Search this Thread

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

shots fired
Boise, Idaho

Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 10

Thank you! Going to watch it now.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks
shots fired
Boise, Idaho

Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 10

thanks for making the video. It was of little interest or help to me, however. I might want to consider changing my experience level from intermediate to beginner because your video was way over my head. My type of trading is price action trading. I do not have any indicators on my chart except a 20 ema. I mainly just look for second entries shorts and longs, and look for two-legged moves. It is about as basic as you can get, I suppose. My instrument is the ES. I have traded stocks for about a year, and have only been trading the ES for about 6 mos. I practice on the simulator more than I live trade. Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

Thanked by:
 lancelottrader 
west palm beach florida usa
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninja trader
Broker: Optimus Futures/ Rithmic
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 1,113
Thanks Received: 5,386

Trading continues to improve. Here's a video showing yesterday's afternoon breakout move on Cl utilizing some order flow techniques.

Failure is not an option
Started this thread Reply With Quote
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

This shows good examples of my 2nd wave setup..shown after Non Farm yesterday.

Failure is not an option
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

Haven't posted on this thread in a while. I revamped my system and have been testing it for the last couple of months. Utilizing price action, 3 distinct setup types, and my knowledge of market conditions, I now go for 30 tick targets with a 10 tick stop loss on Cl. Some may think that is extremely difficult. I have been having great success with this. My ticks at the end of each week far surpass what i was doing before. I used to be very heavily involved in managing my trade..either manually or with automated trailing stops. I no longer do this. I usually will break myself even when I'm up 25 ticks..but that's about the extent of my involvement. I only take what I believe to be super high probability entries and ignore everything else.
I base my entries off of higher time frames..but time my entries off of small ones..in order to keep my stop at 10 ticks. That obviously takes a lot of precision..but it is giving me a nice 3:1 risk reward ratio. You can do well even with a 40% win rate and I'm doing better than that. Will give updates in the near future..but this is working well for me so far.

Failure is not an option
toucan94506
danville ca usa

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 41

lancelottrader View Post
Haven't posted on this thread in a while. I revamped my system and have been testing it for the last couple of months. Utilizing price action, 3 distinct setup types, and my knowledge of market conditions, I now go for 30 tick targets with a 10 tick stop loss on Cl. Some may think that is extremely difficult. I have been having great success with this. My ticks at the end of each week far surpass what i was doing before. I used to be very heavily involved in managing my trade..either manually or with automated trailing stops. I no longer do this. I usually will break myself even when I'm up 25 ticks..but that's about the extent of my involvement. I only take what I believe to be super high probability entries and ignore everything else.
I base my entries off of higher time frames..but time my entries off of small ones..in order to keep my stop at 10 ticks. That obviously takes a lot of precision..but it is giving me a nice 3:1 risk reward ratio. You can do well even with a 40% win rate and I'm doing better than that. Will give updates in the near future..but this is working well for me so far.

Great job lancelot!!!

I look forward to reading your postings

cheers

toucan

Sk8ter 
Beaverton, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: Currency Futures
Thanks Given: 1,199
Thanks Received: 130

lancelottrader View Post

Very nice. Looking forward to hearing more about your new system.

Thanked by:
 Sk8ter 
Beaverton, Canada

@lancelottrader, any updates on your new system?

lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

Sk8ter View Post
@lancelottrader, any updates on your new system?

Thanks for asking.. The system is going very well..in fact in the 5 years I've been trading, this is the best I have ever traded consistently. And it's obvious to me, that it is not just a fluke or temporary luck. I see no reason why it will not continue to work. I am going to describe some basics and a few details. It will not be overly complicated or technical. If anyone wants any specific questions answered , they are welcome to post them.

I use mainly 3 charts..A time chart (1 minute up to 30 minutes mainly for indentifying key levels) a 6 range and a 2 range chart. Obviously the first thing I do is identify all major and minor areas of Support and resistance, along with highs and lows of the previous days, etc. I color code the areas with lines I draw signifying where I consider some major price congestion to occur or areas I refer to as "speed bumps". I then map out a plan..utilizing 3 setup types and formulate several what if strategies before the 9am est Oil session opens.

The three setup types, basically, consist of 1. A reversal trade 2. A pullback/continuation trade on a strong fresh trend and 3. A breakout or what I call a "power Move". It's a combination of these steups at key price areas combined with the context of the market..or prevailing market conditions. I try as early in the session as possible to classify the particular market conditions of that day (Choppy. Chaotic volatilty, strongly trending..types of price swings etc.) Many traders seem to pick price areas and decide to go long or short at those areas..without fully taking into consideration the immediate market conditions. As I have mentioned in many of my earlier posts and videos, there are key times of the day when price tends to move stronger than others. You obviously don't want a slow or dead market when you are trading for 30 tick targets. And that is what I do..go for 30 tick targets with a 10 tick stoploss.

For my reversal setups, I have a few different types of entries. There is the double bottom or double top entries. Usually a 2nd fail during the session of a high or low of the day. Also, I have a single fail reversal..where price hits a level and quickly reverses. If I feel I am getting this type of setup (and Cl often changes direction extremely fast), I enter quickly so my stop is behind where the lowest or highest price swing just went. I don't wait for indicators or candle's closing to enter. It is purely a price action entry. On other reversal moves that I feel need more confirmation, I will wait for a 6 range candle close..or sometimes a 1 minute close... But..waiting for higher timeframes than those, can cause a late entry.. If I wait for the 6 range or 1 minute close, I generally like to wait for a pullback to my 10 ema...and also to an area where my 10 tick stop is in a place that makes sense. I also have a reversal setup that relies on a double fail of price to penetrate an area.

I will post at a later date, my other 2 setup details (The continuation trade and breakout trades), along with some rules I follow and trade management. Also I'll write a bit more how I take entries in order to keep a 10 tick stoploss.

To be continued..

Failure is not an option
 Sk8ter 
Beaverton, Canada

@lancelottrader, thanks for the update. I am looking forward to hearing more about your new system and seeing some of your charts. Hoping that I can learn something and apply to my trading to improve my results.

Last Updated on April 11, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts