NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 843 posts (4,515 thanks)
    2. looks_two redbarntrades with 59 posts (147 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 28 posts (117 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Okina with 23 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 5.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 redbarntrades with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 447,407 views
    2. thumb_up 6,047 thanks given
    3. group 647 followers
    1. forum 1,639 posts
    2. attach_file 251 attachments

Search this Thread

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

shah1266 
hartford

how much for those indicators?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
58 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
55 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
48 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
31 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
29 thanks

lancelottrader 
west palm beach florida usa
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninja trader
Broker: Optimus Futures/ Rithmic
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 1,113
Thanks Received: 5,386

shah1266 View Post
how much for those indicators?

I subscribe to a couple of different one's and then I've kind of tweaked them to work on certain timeframes...Between the two, I'm probably spending about $150 a month. I could probably get with the Ninja programmers and replicate them pretty close, but I haven't taken the time to look into it. They're more of a visual and psychological aid than anything else. If the market conditions aren't there, they'll just fire off a lot of useless signals..but when my "edge", shows up, they work quite well...so honestly, I can't really reccomend them to anyone at this point..because you could misuse them and end up losing lots of trades.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

After losing 9 ticks on my first CL trade today, I made a good comeback with this one on TF for close to 40 ticks. Didn't get out till it hit my trail dots. Sometimes I find it hard to watch both TF and CL and then be able to decide which one to take. I have a couple of monitors but I still find it hard.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TF 12-11 (2 Range)  10_24_20111118.jpg
Views:	1442
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	53010  
The following user says Thank You to lancelottrader for this post:
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

I'm embarrassed to even say what happened to me today...I totally lost control of my emotions and discipline. First I must admit I went to a Halloween part last night and drank way too much Red wine. I knew I was way too hungover to trade properly..but my ego said, "Ok, just trade 1 contract of TF." So I tried drinking a little extra coffee to sharpen up...this only made me feel hungover and..anxious. Somehow by 2pm, I was over $350 down. Normally I would have walked away and chalked it up to a bad day. Somehow I started becoming unhinged and I put on a 5 contract trade..even though the market wasn't looking too great...Lost 10 ticks..now $850 down. Like a maniac I put on 10 contracts and quickly lose 10 more ticks. Now minus $1850.00, I take another 10 contract trade and bail out when I'm 5 ticks up. So I make only $500 back. Finally, I summoned the strength to walk away from my computer. The lesson here is obvious..Never trade when you know you are impaired in some way. I was hungover and caffeinated and all my rules and discipline flew out the window. Believe me folks, this hasn't happened to me in years. I'm still in shock.. I am not a novice at this...Anyhow..this thread is supposed to be about catching runners on TF...Here's the one I should have waited for..in the final 3 minutes of today's US stock market session. I'm usually pretty good at catching stuff like this..but I had already walked away from the PC.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TF 12-11 (2 Range)   closingmove.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	53695  
The following 21 users say Thank You to lancelottrader for this post:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,143
Thanks Received: 101,477

Good job posting on a tough day.

Now the hard part: what have you learned from today? Time will tell.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

kbit 
Aurora, Il USA

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 3,295
Thanks Received: 3,364

lancelottrader View Post
I'm embarrassed to even say what happened to me today...I totally lost control of my emotions and discipline. First I must admit I went to a Halloween part last night and drank way too much Red wine. I knew I was way too hungover to trade properly..but my ego said, "Ok, just trade 1 contract of TF." So I tried drinking a little extra coffee to sharpen up...this only made me feel hungover and..anxious. Somehow by 2pm, I was over $350 down. Normally I would have walked away and chalked it up to a bad day. Somehow I started becoming unhinged and I put on a 5 contract trade..even though the market wasn't looking too great...Lost 10 ticks..now $850 down. Like a maniac I put on 10 contracts and quickly lose 10 more ticks. Now minus $1850.00, I take another 10 contract trade and bail out when I'm 5 ticks up. So I make only $500 back. Finally, I summoned the strength to walk away from my computer. The lesson here is obvious..Never trade when you know you are impaired in some way. I was hungover and caffeinated and all my rules and discipline flew out the window. Believe me folks, this hasn't happened to me in years. I'm still in shock.. I am not a novice at this...Anyhow..this thread is supposed to be about catching runners on TF...Here's the one I should have waited for..in the final 3 minutes of today's US stock market session. I'm usually pretty good at catching stuff like this..but I had already walked away from the PC.

Sorry to hear that, we've all been there...it sucks. As long as you remember it in the future you'll be ok

lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

kbit View Post
Sorry to hear that, we've all been there...it sucks. As long as you remember it in the future you'll be ok

Thanks..I going to do everything in my power to make sure I don't do this again. It's not so much the money I lost that bothers me, but the fact I lost control of myself.. after all these years of trading. I appreciate your comment.

The following 3 users say Thank You to lancelottrader for this post:
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

Big Mike View Post
Good job posting on a tough day.

Now the hard part: what have you learned from today? Time will tell.

Mike

I've learned that it's not only the market conditions that must be determined, but also my personal state of mind and physiology. I thought I was good enough where being hungover wouldn't affect me so much . I also made sure after this incident to further clarify my rules such as..Evaluating my frame of mind before any trading. If I'm feeling sleepy, agitated, overly anxious (or hungover)..I will stay out. This seems quite obvious, but I slipped up as if I was a total novice and now I need to remind myself of these things .
If I get a compulsion to greatly up my Contract size, I will definitely walk away..instead of behaving like a Degenerate gambler trying to recoup his losses .
And of course, I will restrain myself from taking a trade unless my criteria for entry is met 100%. I went into a couple of silly impulsive trades today as well. Thanks for your comment Mike.

The following user says Thank You to lancelottrader for this post:
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

Had some nice setups this morning right after the opening bell. Saw a pretty strong surge down..waited for a pullback on my 1 minute chart to the 10 period ema..then saw it heading back down and I jumped in...Stayed in till my dots signaled me out..Almost 4 TF points . Then, only a few minutes later I saw the price breaking through a support level my indicators had drawn earlier..I jumped the gun a little and lost 7 ticks on a quick pullback..but then re-entered and rode this one down for another 40 ticks..again staying in untill my trailing stop dots got me out..Also was using a 9 tick autotrail Ninja ATM in case price moved too fast for me to manually exit.. Love days like this.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TF 12-11 (2 Range)  11_10_2011 4point move.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	54579   Click image for larger version

Name:	TF 12-11 (1 Min)  11_10_2011.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	54580   Click image for larger version

Name:	TF 12-11 (2 Range)  11_10_201140ticks.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	54583  

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

How did you do yesterday in the MONSTER MASH at the opening bell?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to bluemele for this post:

Last Updated on April 11, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts