NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Unofficial NinjaTrader 8 wish list thread (NT8)!

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one NinjaTrader with 96 posts (106 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 81 posts (78 thanks)
    3. looks_3 OpalDragon with 35 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 AdvancedIndicators with 29 posts (26 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 5.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two NinjaTrader with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 AdvancedIndicators with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 381,446 views
    2. thumb_up 692 thanks given
    3. group 221 followers
    1. forum 1,036 posts
    2. attach_file 63 attachments

Search this Thread

Unofficial NinjaTrader 8 wish list thread (NT8)!

pnguyen720 
Los Angeles

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: NQ CL GC
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 16

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the terrible Playback (Market Replay) control. If you want to playback a certain day, you have to 1) advance the start date to the day before 2) advance the end date to the exact morning you want and then 3) right click and choose Go To to punch in the date and time. A terrible UI.

On a related note, does Ninjatrader actually read this thread or are we all just complaining? Haha.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
36 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,445
Thanks Received: 26,278

pnguyen720 View Post
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the terrible Playback (Market Replay) control. If you want to playback a certain day, you have to 1) advance the start date to the day before 2) advance the end date to the exact morning you want and then 3) right click and choose Go To to punch in the date and time. A terrible UI.

On a related note, does Ninjatrader actually read this thread or are we all just complaining? Haha.

I first posted on this in the "Ninjatrader 8 not ready for prime time" thread on May 4, 2018. I also posted a feature request on the Ninja support site about that time. I was not actually the first to post a feature request on the problem. You can read the post and a number of follow-ups here:

Obviously, NT has to set their priorities about what they fix first, and they have had a lot to do. Also obviously, they have not fixed this issue. I assume it's not a high enough priority, which is affected to some extent by the number of votes given to the request (you can check out how to vote in those posts, if you want to.) They also clearly have to make a technical decision regarding where the most bang for the buck lies, in terms of allocating resources and time.

But obviously, we can do the same. (I'm on Sierra Chart now. Not just because of replay, but it was a -- small -- part of it.)

For the record, I still think NT is a good system, but you have to weigh the pros and cons of what's important to you.

Bob.

pnguyen720 
Los Angeles

Trading: NQ CL GC
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 16

bobwest View Post
I first posted on this in the "Ninjatrader 8 not ready for prime time" thread on May 4, 2018. I also posted a feature request on the Ninja support site about that time. I was not actually the first to post a feature request on the problem. You can read the post and a number of follow-ups here:

Obviously, NT has to set their priorities about what they fix first, and they have had a lot to do. Also obviously, they have not fixed this issue. I assume it's not a high enough priority, which is affected to some extent by the number of votes given to the request (you can check out how to vote in those posts, if you want to.) They also clearly have to make a technical decision regarding where the most bang for the buck lies, in terms of allocating resources and time.

But obviously, we can do the same. (I'm on Sierra Chart now. Not just because of replay, but it was a -- small -- part of it.)

For the record, I still think NT is a good system, but you have to weigh the pros and cons of what's important to you.

Bob.

Ah, figures I wasn't the only one, thanks for the backup, Bob.

I actually enjoy using NJT as I've found them to be quite responsive once you've identified the issue as a bug. They usually get it out on the next release.

But when it comes to redesign stuff, I can see it from their point in that it would take some time to do that.

Thanked by:
 EgoRisk 
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA

Platform: NT8, Bookmap
Trading: ES, MES
Thanks Given: 78
Thanks Received: 198

Polish and refinement of market replay is the issue at the top of my list.

Actual tick by tick market replay and real life integration of the order flow tools is fantastic training, imo. Being able to pull days from long ago (that Im sure I no longer "remember") is priceless.

Ninja....I'm telling you, focus on this training by making market replay easy, powerful, a like real life w the order flow tools...and youll have a powerful training tool. That training tool will bring in lifetime-licence purchases and get you the most bang for your buck.

Don't make it how you think it should be made, make it so that it is easy and just like live market (w adjustable playback speed).

...having said that, I understand realistic order fills is difficult (impossible) but err on side of being conservative w the fills.

Anyway, a lot of this is there. Polish and refine.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,445
Thanks Received: 26,278

fivewhy View Post
Polish and refinement of market replay is the issue at the top of my list.

Actual tick by tick market replay and real life integration of the order flow tools is fantastic training, imo. Being able to pull days from long ago (that Im sure I no longer "remember") is priceless.

Ninja....I'm telling you, focus on this training by making market replay easy, powerful, a like real life w the order flow tools...and youll have a powerful training tool. That training tool will bring in lifetime-licence purchases and get you the most bang for your buck.

Don't make it how you think it should be made, make it so that it is easy and just like live market (w adjustable playback speed).

...having said that, I understand realistic order fills is difficult (impossible) but err on side of being conservative w the fills.

Anyway, a lot of this is there. Polish and refine.

About a year ago I made a modest suggestion for a feature change to replay, to revert back to the NT7 behavior so it would be more usable for the users (I found it nearly unusable), and it is actually on the NT change list with a number and everything. (There was an existing request already open, actually, so this added to the "votes" for the change.)

Unfortunately, there are other things on the list too, and nothing came of this. If you'd like to look into it, take a look at this link and, if you like, add your "vote" if you are in favor of it, as other people did. They do tally the votes for feature requests, I understand:

https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/ninjatrader-8/platform-technical-support-aa/107117-replay-request-to-change-behavior-of-go-to-or-slider ,

or you can make your own direct request on the NT board if you have something different in mind.

Since this is almost a year old, I doubt that anything will come of it, however, which is a shame. Different people find different things important, and I suppose this didn't appeal that much to the NT development team... and, of course, they have to prioritize things and they have had a big job with NT8, which is generally in good shape now.

I don't blame them, but since it was important to me, it's one of the reasons I left NT for Sierra Chart, which does replay just fine. I'm not bashing NT, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time waiting for them to get around to spending any time on replay.

(And, if they already fixed it and I just don't know about it because I don't use NT now, I'll feel a little foolish, but not very much. If they did fix it, it still took a long time.)

@NinjaTrader and the other members of the NT team are very good people, so, to repeat, I am not bashing them. But I am complaining a little....

Bob.

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

@NinjaTrader

if you could make the ATM's stay on the tab they are assigned to and not go to (none) once the one is active on another tab that would make me super happy

i've sent a message into you guys

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 jphiggs 
New York, NY

Platform: NinjaTrader, TradeStation
Trading: ES, Stocks
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 1

In Chart Trader, executing through the lastest versions of IB TWS, NT8 doesn't display live P&L or realized P&L when flat. NT's solution is to downgrade the broker software.

Tradarr 
Atlanta Ga. USA

Platform: NT8,ThinkorSwim,
Trading: Grains
Thanks Given: 86
Thanks Received: 88

Add ability to Market Analyzer to work with End of Day data in addition to real time data feeds. Its strange to me that MA does not work with the free Kinectick EOD.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

NinjaTrader  NinjaTrader is an official Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

Web: NinjaTrader
AMA: Ask Me Anything
Webinars: NinjaTrader Webinars
Elite offer: Click here

Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 2,686

Tradarr View Post
Add ability to Market Analyzer to work with End of Day data in addition to real time data feeds. Its strange to me that MA does not work with the free Kinectick EOD.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

If you are referring to Market Analyzer cells updating in real-time on Kinetick EOD data then this will not work. The reason is that Kinetick EOD Free data is not a real-time feed. You would need to subscribe to Kinetick to have daily bars update the Market Analyzer as a new bar comes in.

Disclosure: This communication is sent to you by NinjaTrader, LLC, a software development company which owns and supports all proprietary technology relating to and including the NinjaTrader trading platform.
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 196
Thanks Received: 876

sudhirc View Post
Hello,
some one created a drawing tool called ExtendableLine (not sure where i got it from) which i have added to this post. It has some neat features such as the following
1. Duplicate -- Love to have this feature added to all existing drawing tools
2. Horizontal Start -- Excellent and use it all the time.
3. Load Template -- Excellent and use it all the time.
... and other neat features

The real neat thing about this indicator is i can access the various templates in a real smooth process by Clicking on the line-->Right Clicking mouse -->Load Template --> then Click on required template a 4step process to load the required template.

Where as in NT8 default drawing tools for selecting the required template i got to go through Double Click the drawing- (window opens)->Select Template -->Load (window opens) -->select the required template -->load-->then APPLY it a 6 Step process

On paper it is only a addition of two steps, but in reality it seems long as it has to open and close popup windows where as for the other attached indicator it a smooth fast process and is definitely more efficient

I would love to see the same feature adopted on to the native NT8 drawing tool properties if possible.

Thank you,
Chalasani.

@NinjaTrader is it possible for you guys to add this right click menu feature (from the custom extendable line add on) to all the drawing tools. I always felt this is one of the features that had no improvement from NT7. There are also some third party add on features for one click color and style change that could be added. You guys did a great with NT8 on many fronts, but I think that this is one area that would be so simple to improve.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: ExtendableLine.zip
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 24, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts