NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Scattered thoughts...

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Lornz with 103 posts (193 thanks)
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 15 posts (41 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 13 posts (14 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Surly with 11 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Deucalion with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Lornz with 1.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 zer0 with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Fat Tails with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 54,050 views
    2. thumb_up 310 thanks given
    3. group 22 followers
    1. forum 210 posts
    2. attach_file 26 attachments

View Poll Results: The following sentence is false. The preceding sentence is true.
True 5 31.25%
True
5 31.25%
False 11 68.75%
False
11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Scattered thoughts...

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Experience: Advanced
Platform: CQG, Excel
Trading: CL

Surly View Post
Thanks @zer0! Your comments were perfect - just what I was curious about. I guess my post came across as a slight to Peter - which was not my intention. My examples are just the impression I got from the presentation and the active trader article that I think Lornz posted. And, no, I don't blame him one bit - I think its great that he has received notoriety and financial rewards for his ideas - he's obviously a genius. I, for one, do fall into the trap of taking the pronouncements of genius at face value so was just curious about how to weight some of his statements (given that he came across as very confident of his conclusions and methods).

Anyway, I guess I've derailed the thread again. I'll shut up for now.

He served on the CBOT's board of directors for three years., came up with Market Profile, and, maybe more importantly, the Liquidity Data Bank. But he also failed with X-Funds, which, similar to VS, is difficult to grasp at first.

He is a vendor, but, at least how I perceive him, is more about evolving the marketplace than to make a few bucks; He is more a market philosopher than an evil blood-sucking vendor from the netherworld. I think he is quite comfortable now, anyway. I don't agree with all his reflections, but he has given me food for thought in the past (and now). He clearly has some active synapses, perhaps too many (as is evident in the presentation). Like all of his ilk, he is ego-driven. But most that accomplishes anything are just that. In fact, we all are. Nietzsche spoke of the "will to power" being the driving force for all human beings, and I tend to agree. Alas, that is often misunderstood (and bastardized by Ayn Rand, e.g.) to mean power over others -- it might just as well mean control over one's own life.

I agree with the basic philosophy of VS and I have been trading in a similar fashion for years. My focus, however, has been price -- not volume. I will elaborate more in a later post.

The world, and the markets, have become increasingly primitive in recent times. He speaks of going back to a pre-exchange "database" and I agree with that sentiment. I think the good trading books from the beginning of the last century is just as relevant now, and even more than 20 years ago. I actually think the world is in a state of regression and that we're heading back to the Dark Ages. Religion and superstitions are on the rise, people seem to care less about anything outside their immediate surroundings and scientific literacy is declining. We are becoming more technologically advanced and ignorant at the same time. My theory is that there are now so much information available that people become overwhelmed and "shut off". There are so many "facts", that it seems easier to just "believe".

I like to believe that the pendulum will swing back, but the question is when...

I think this article sums it up pretty well:
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/opinion/sunday/the-elusive-big-idea.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Surly 
denver, colorado

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 628
Thanks Received: 1,263

@Lornz, its all well and good to quote the new york times, but I think we all know where the real commentary on our times can most reliably be observed:

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. - Frank Herbert
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

Surly View Post
@Lornz, its all well and good to quote the new york times, but I think we all know where the real commentary on our times can most reliably be observed:

Idiocracy - Trailer - YouTube

That movie is both funny and painful to watch. Let's hope it doesn't get that bad...

forrestang 
Chicago IL

Experience: None
Platform: Ninja, MT4, Matlab
Broker: CQG, AMP, MB, DTN
Trading: E/U, G/U
Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 1,047

@Lornz

I have read you mention 'Clean Chart' before. What exactly do you mean by this?

Also, do you use any form of opening range methods to find trades? You mentioned before finding certain things that become obvious once you see them. Where you referring to something in order flow, price patterns within bars, or some type of profile activity?

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

forrestang View Post
@Lornz

I have read you mention 'Clean Chart' before. What exactly do you mean by this?

Also, do you use any form of opening range methods to find trades? You mentioned before finding certain things that become obvious once you see them. Where you referring to something in order flow, price patterns within bars, or some type of profile activity?

I just meant that I don't have indicators or lines on it, I just use it for visual reference. I also try to filter out as much noise as I can.

I will answer your other question in a future post. I intend to write a little about that topic, but not tonight. It's Friday night and you know what that means....

Lornz 
Oslo, Norway

While I don't agree with Ron Paul on everything, I think this interview is really good. Usually these kinds of things are just filled with fluff, it's rare to see some straight talk...

tigertrader 
Philly, Pa
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, ZB
Thanks Given: 6,662
Thanks Received: 36,257

"Volume Strips" is available, however, you have to be using CTS to use them. You must go through Steven Hawkins, ( Pete's associate), to get set up.

Steven Hawkin's contact info:

[email protected]

CTS Futures contact info:

Tim Dare

c-773 653 1423
w- 312 447 5416

http://cts.sim.t4login.com/register/

[email protected]
www.ctsfutures.com

The volume strip application currently interfaces with T4, only ( they will be adding TT by the end of the year). Currently the annual lease is $350(will be going up in the future I believe) which can be paid via pay pal / credit card. There isn't much educational material (1 document covering key strokes of vol. strip and one document going over some of the theory), observation and self discovery will be the best path to success. They don't offer any free trials or an interface for sim trading.

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

zer0 
Chicago, IL/USA

Platform: CTS T4/Sierra Chart
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 205

I have the software, but haven't done much with it yet. My interest in it, so far, is academic. It's always fun/exciting to try something new, particular from someone like Peter. Anyway, I'm sure a few of us will have fun exploring the new world of VS.

tigertrader View Post
"Volume Strips" is available, however, you have to be using CTS to use them. You have to go through Steven Hawkins, ( Pete's associate), to get set up.

Steven Hawkin's contact info:

[email protected]

CTS Futures contact info:

Tim Dare

c-773 653 1423
w- 312 447 5416

http://cts.sim.t4login.com/register/

[email protected]
www.ctsfutures.com

The volume strip application currently interfaces with only T4( they will be adding TT by the end of the year). Currently the annual lease is $350(will be going up in the future I believe) which can be paid via pay pal / credit card. There isn't much educational material (1 document covering key strokes of vol. strip and one document going over some of the theory), observation and self discovery will be the best path to success. They don't offer any free trials or an interface for sim trading.

Thanked by:
 meyer99 
Charlotte NC

Platform: Charts:TOS, execution:TOS
Broker: TOS
Trading: SPX, RUT. TQQQ, Stocks, /YM
Thanks Given: 99
Thanks Received: 122

Lornz View Post
I just meant that I don't have indicators or lines on it, I just use it for visual reference. I also try to filter out as much noise as I can.

I will answer your other question in a future post. I intend to write a little about that topic, but not tonight. It's Friday night and you know what that means....

Lorn,
We give until the end of the year!!

Thanked by:

Surly 
denver, colorado

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: ZS
Thanks Given: 628
Thanks Received: 1,263

zer0 View Post
I have the software, but haven't done much with it yet. My interest in it, so far, is academic. It's always fun/exciting to try something new, particular from someone like Peter. Anyway, I'm sure a few of us will have fun exploring the new world of VS.

zer0 - did you ever have that meeting with Peter?

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty. - Frank Herbert
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on June 15, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts