NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

This is good advise, so I will follow it...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one VinceVirgil with 299 posts (1,070 thanks)
    2. looks_two PandaWarrior with 32 posts (52 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 21 posts (35 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobarian with 12 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Private Banker with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two VinceVirgil with 3.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 PandaWarrior with 1.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 69,558 views
    2. thumb_up 1,282 thanks given
    3. group 38 followers
    1. forum 433 posts
    2. attach_file 184 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

This is good advise, so I will follow it...

VinceVirgil 
Toronto, Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT
Broker: TD Ameritrade, Dorman/Zenfire
Trading: CL,ES
Thanks Given: 2,144
Thanks Received: 9,223

Very new to Trading, in currency that is. Therefore, I felt it good to start this journal, to help me on my journey.

Briefly, I am a financial guy, but more of an investment consultant. Customer service rep really, for a financial institution. I make 6 figures, and have done for 15 years. but my work is really boring...and I have other interests, so i would like to stay in the investment business, but something different. the biggest hassle i face is compliance issues with clients, risk tolerence, is this appropriate and handholding in difficult markets. like when their portfolio shrinks in value for a few months and they have to be fully invested becusue thats the program they signed up for.

i was a rising star in the investment world...in my own little pond, youngest in the room at one time. now I am older, and not so young, and what I do stopped being interesting and enjoyable around 10 years ago...but it pays the bills.

So now...along comes futures trading, a subject i studied in university, and understood in my investment courses. Trading in futures falls into the category of Alternative Investments, and as such, are offered to retail customers only under an Offering Memorandum for accredited investors, which varies depending on your country of origin. I happen to live in Canada. not much different in the US, as such investments are considered unregulated by the SEC. So, I have some skills, but in a different branch of sport.

for actual trading, I am pretty green. have a good computer for trading, multilple screens, and NT7. Read a couple books on trading Forex. started on sim a couple weeks ago to try to piece together the procedures, and lost 42000.00. Thats a lot...good thing they were sim dollars. but now...i have a simple strategy, and trading E6 and ES, 1 contract, simple entry and exit strategy, looking for 6 ticks max with a 4 point stop when I get a simple setup.

So this is my first post...next ones wont be as wordy. Did 17 trades (i know likely too many) 1 contract at a time got carried away. 12 winners, 5 losers for a measly 70%.

made 50 bucks. Still trying to figure out how to add commission cost. If I added that, I lost today.

Try again tommorrow. BTW, journal will be way less wordy. i welcome all comments and will reply to all I can.

Looking for a mentor...anyone that can help? maybe we can start a hedgefund...i'll handle marketing. i figure I could raise 1 million in a few weeks.

Just a thought.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,046
Thanks Received: 9,491

raise 20MM?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

6 ticks TP and 24 tick stop.....

You may want to reevaluate that.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

VinceVirgil 
Toronto, Canada

Visited Perryg webinar. Tried to set up his method. Great presentation ....good speaker. Tremendous confidence. What did you do in a previous life, Perryg. what ever it was, you must have doen it very well, because your presentaion was excellent. 4 stars.

Tried setting charts up like his. Kinda confused on how he got some of thiose indicators to work. And the significance of each one is a little foreign to me....ok a lot foreign, but this is the place to learn right? There are no lousy students, just bad teachers?

i would like a mentor, someone to help me through the mass of confusion. The best way to learn is at the foot of someone experienced and capable, and from my years of competitive sport, I know that when one teaches fundamentals, personal fundementals are reinforced. Thnis is brain training...never too old to learn something new.

Traded 1 contract following a simple strategy from some of the indicators perry talked about. 9 trades 4 winners, 5 losers. down 62.50. Not discouraged, just recognise I have a lot to learn. I have to be confident I can do it, before i do. No guessing. Create strategy, then follow strategy. Discipline, discipline, discipline. Top 3 traits.

Thanks for listening.

VinceVirgil 
Toronto, Canada

12 trades 1 contract, 7 losers 5 winners. best was 11 pips when my strategy was giving me a green light.

Still, lost -275. The losers were when my strategy went against me, so I cut my losses. Shouldnt say that. On my losses, my strategy wasnt with me completely, so in hindsight, I lost on trades when i didnt follow my strategy. Didnt follow my own strategy. I wonder how many traders do that? Too many to count...not following their own strategy and losing. " If you dont know where you want to go, any road will take you there." from Alice in Wonderland

Did maybe 40% of the things I need to do right...guess what? Traded at less than 40%. Now there is a lesson in there.

VanceVirgil

VinceVirgil 
Toronto, Canada

Didn't post in my journal yesterday because of technical difficulties with my computer. Nothing major, just accidentally deleted what I wrote, and dindt feel like rewriting it.

Traded 1 contract trying to get my setup. I am trading a 2 minute chart on the 6e. Using an EMA 20 And EMA 5 for setups, With a SMA 40 to determine price action.

Last night at 20 EST pm had some kinda computer lock on Sim that kept pushing then 6E higher and higher. Started to susopect something wrong after around 20 minutes, because I was letting my profits run. up and up and up. Turns out I wasnt in the right place at the right time, and I didnt make 20k on my 5k account. When I reloaded the information, my charts went to what they should have been.

I tryed remaining calm, but as the currency went higher, I kept riding up with it....but I took away 2 things.

1. I let my profits run without getting overly anxious. I remained pretty even on my emotions despite the HUGE runup. I did started adding more than 1 contract, couldnt help myself, because of the profits I was making.

2. I figured out something was off. it took me a while, but I did figure it out. Rather have a problem Simulated that live. Would the false information feed have happenned if I was live? If I had traded like I had live, I would have lost.

I need to learn a lot more before i go live.

Sat in on an Online Trading presentaion last night. They use fractal geometry for their setups to detrermine suport and resistance. They claim that in 4 to 6 weeks, using their method, you can get over 85% accuracy. Of course it was a sales pitch to buy their program.

Gonna try a few trades today, but I need to reset my Sim account because of the false runup last night.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,537

VinceVirgil View Post
Gonna try a few trades today

Bear in mind today is FOMC day, I would say don't trade until after the announcement.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

VinceVirgil 
Toronto, Canada

Thanks Big Mike. Will keep that in mind.

Seems I've been getting whipsawed a bit...for a begginer like me, any advise for viewing the Webiinars? Checked out your presentation from last year...the intro one. Very good stuff, BTW.

For now, sticking with the 6E until I get a better handle on trading mechanics, and try to work on the phsychology side of trading.

Thanks Again

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,537

Most traders keep using smaller and smaller charts, and smaller and smaller stops. They do this to avoid the pain of a big losing trade.

It is not the answer. Death by a thousand cuts.

If you are getting "whipsawed", I have two pieces of advice:

- Make certain you are not reversing your direction. Don't go long, then 5 minutes later short, then 30 minutes later long.

- Increase the size of your chart and/or your stop. Set stops based on recent price action + cushion. Do not set stops based on pain threshold.

Read the Elusive [AUTOLINK]Price Action[/AUTOLINK] thread for good examples.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 5, 2012

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts