NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The planet, the environment, war

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one aquarian1 with 192 posts (84 thanks)
    2. looks_two Gabriyele with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Zondor with 3 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Zondor with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Gabriyele with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 aquarian1 with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 51,007 views
    2. thumb_up 134 thanks given
    3. group 28 followers
    1. forum 234 posts
    2. attach_file 37 attachments

Search this Thread

The planet, the environment, war

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

Kellogg’s Pulls Ads From Breitbart for ‘Not Aligning’ With Their Values; Amnesty Intl Accuses Them of Child Labor Violations
by The_Real_Fly
Dec 1, 2016 9:25 AM

Let's put this into perspective. The maker of poisonous breakfast cereals pulled their ads from Breitbart, a very popular news site associated with the Trump campaign, because it didn't align with their values -- set forth in their advertising guidelines.

In a scathing report on child labor violations for procuring palm oil in Indonesia, Amnesty International lays waste to corporate giants like Unilever, Colgate, Proctor and Gamble and you guessed it Kellogg's. Amnesty has testimony and video of children as young as 8 years old, pulled from school to work on a slave plantation to endure 'back breaking labor', exposed to harsh chemicals and very heavy materials. Let's be clear, placing ads on pro Trump site is not conducive with Kellogg's corporate image, but buying palm oil from a slave plantation that works 8 year old children is.

The human rights organisation traced a range of well-known products back to the palm oil company Wilmar, which it alleged employs children to do back-breaking physical labour on refineries in Indonesia. Singapore-based Wilmar counts multinational companies including Kellogg’s, Unilever, Colgate-Palmolive, Reckitt Benckiser and Nestlé among its major clients, according to Amnesty.

In a 110-page report accompanied by a video, Amnesty alleged products sold by those companies were “tainted by appalling human rights abuses ... with children as young as eight working in hazardous conditions”.
“There is nothing sustainable about palm oil that is produced using child labour and forced labour. Something is wrong when nine companies turning over a combined revenue of £260bn in 2015 are unable to do anything about the atrocious treatment of palm oil workers earning a pittance.”
She said allegations of child labour at Wilmar were not “isolated incidents but are systemic and a predictable result of the way Wilmar does business”.
In the report, Amnesty alleged that children aged from eight to 14 were carrying out dangerous work without safety equipment, were exposed to toxic pesticides and regularly carried sacks of palm fruit weighing 25kg.

One 10-year-old boy, who claims he started working for a Wilmar supplier aged eight, said he gets up at 6am to gather fruit and works every day but Sunday. “I don’t go to school ... I carry the sacks with the loose fruit by myself but can only carry it half full. My hands hurt and my body aches,” he said.

In response to this report, Kellogg's said "any supply chain violations of our global palm oil principles, we work with the supplier to understand corrective actions and ensure they understand our commitments. If the concerns are not adequately addressed, we take action to remove them from our supply chain.”

The joys of globalism.

#DumpKelloggs

Content originally generated at iBankCoin.com
source:
Kellogg?s Pulls Ads From Breitbart for ?Not Aligning? With Their Values; Amnesty Intl Accuses Them of Child Labor Violations | Zero Hedge

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

These comments from Gates came during an interview on Monday about a new investment fund he and other billionaires started called Breakthrough Energy Ventures. Gates has tapped his vast network of technology and energy bigwigs to raise more than $1 billion that will be at the fund’s disposal, starting in 2017. The goal is to increase investments in energy-related technologies that will reduce, if not eliminate, greenhouse gas emissions.

Investors in Breakthrough Energy Ventures include Jeff Bezos, chief executive officer of Amazon.com Inc., Richard Branson, the founder of Virgin Group Ltd., and Michael Bloomberg, the founder of Bloomberg LP. There are also prominent venture capitalists like John Doerr and Vinod Khosla, who have pumped a lot of money into green tech companies in the past.

source:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-12/bill-gates-pushes-green-energy-on-call-with-trump-while-building-1-billion-fund

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

A new study has found a connection between warmer oceans and hazardous levels of domoic acid — a dangerous neurotoxin produced by tiny algae that can accumulate in crabs, mussels and other sea life. The toxin first caught the attention of public health officials in 1987, when three people died and more than 100 fell ill after eating toxic shellfish from Prince Edward Island.

While levels of domoic acid are closely monitored, the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences is the first time researchers have linked warmer waters and climate change, specifically the Pacific Decadfeal Oscillation (PDO) and El Niño Southern Oscillation, to higher levels of the toxin.

source:
Toxic seafood connected to warming oceans, study finds - MarketWatch

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

There are 1 billion vehicles worldwide and 1/4 of those are in the USA.

They use 40 of the oil used worldwide.

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

more depressing news on the global warming front...

Australia’s Great Barrier Reef hit by further coral bleaching amid record temperatures
By Ciara Linnane

Published: Apr 10, 2017 12:06 p.m. ET
Australia?s Great Barrier Reef hit by further coral bleaching amid record temperatures - MarketWatch

fter severe coral bleaching in the northern third of the reef last year, an aerial survey has found the middle third has been hit by intense bleaching in 2017, damaging 1,500 kilometers, or 900 miles, of coral and leaving only the southern third unscathed, according to Terry Hughes, director of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies, who led the surveys both years.

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

As physicist and systems theorist Fritjof Capra writes:

“At the very heart of our global crisis lies the illusion that unlimited growth is possible on a finite planet…In this economic system, the irrational belief in perpetual growth is carried on relentlessly by promoting excessive consumption and a throwaway economy that is energy and resource intensive, generating waste and pollution, and depleting the Earth’s natural resources.”

How can we provide enough fertilizer and arable land to growing countries? How do we conserve water where it’s most needed? How do we switch over from burning fossil fuels in every country to a renewable portfolio of solar, wind, geothermal, biomass and hydrogen systems? How do we replace SUVs and McMansions with highly efficient, healthy homes?

===
and how do we get people to stop breeding like rabbits??

Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Building Energy SpA, an Italian renewable-energy company, completed a 30-megawatt wind farm in Iowa, its first in the state.

The project in Story, Boone, Hardin and Poweshiek counties can power about 11,000 households, Milan-based Building Energy said in a statement Thursday. The project cost $58 million to build, and it sells its output and renewable-energy credits to a local utility.

source:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-04/italy-s-building-energy-completes-its-wind-project-in-iowa

Thanked by:

michaelleemoore 
Missoula, MT Nɫʔay(ccstm)
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 5,552
Thanks Received: 12,328

aquarian1 View Post
Building Energy SpA, an Italian renewable-energy company, completed a 30-megawatt wind farm in Iowa, its first in the state.

The project in Story, Boone, Hardin and Poweshiek counties can power about 11,000 households, Milan-based Building Energy said in a statement Thursday. The project cost $58 million to build, and it sells its output and renewable-energy credits to a local utility.

source:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-04/italy-s-building-energy-completes-its-wind-project-in-iowa

Just finished a book I think you'd find super interesting. "After Nature," by Jedediah Purdy. It's about building a political system for a natural world where everything is affected by humans. Damn smart book.

Cheers,

Michael

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

michaelleemoore View Post
Just finished a book I think you'd find super interesting. "After Nature," by Jedediah Purdy. It's about building a political system for a natural world where everything is affected by humans. Damn smart book.

Cheers,

Michael

Many thanks Michael!

Ian

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Ssali, a beneficiary of Sawa Spark Geoffrey, lived in dire poverty just 12 months ago in a rural village in Uganda. He did not have enough food for his family, no money for school fees for his children and struggled to attain just basic necessities. He was introduced to the Village Savings Association that Geoffrey established in several villages. Village members (no more than 20), put small amounts of money into a savings account together with a bank. Almost no interest is charged and, overtime, interest accumulates. SSali borrowed 50,000 ($20 US) from the Association. He managed to use these funds to establish a three acre sugarcane and flower plantation in just one year. The land is now worth 5 million UGX ($2,000). The Sawa Youth Reporters, Sheila and Emmanuel, filmed this practical solution and will share the video in other communities, schools and in the local media cross Uganda. This allows many other people living in extreme poverty to self empower their lives and that of their families.
How One Man Living in Extreme Poverty turned 50,000 UGX into 5 million UGX in 1 Year | Sawa World | Solutions From Within

Sawa World | Solutions From Within

Last Updated on July 14, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts