NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Mojojojo77's Quest

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mojojojo77 with 31 posts (61 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 dellcnu with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 9,033 views
    2. thumb_up 65 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 36 posts
    2. attach_file 67 attachments

Search this Thread

Mojojojo77's Quest

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,244
Thanks Received: 101,669

mojojojo77 View Post
I took a new snap shot of the trade blotter and re-uploaded to include the MAE and MFE columns in post #8. For the weekly total the Average MAE was -$53.10 and the Average MFE was $65.95. I'm not sure what kind of ratio the MFE to MAE should be, but I'm assuming very high with as low MAE as possible!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and you have a great weekend too!

Nice job. I look at MAE and MFE on a per trade basis mainly. If for instance, you take a big stop on a trade that had a nice MFE, then there is a lot of room for improvement. You seem to have a nice balance with your results, keep at it.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

mojojojo77 
BayArea, CA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjarTrader, thinkorswim, TradeStation
Broker: Tradestation, TOS, PFGBest
Trading: YM, NQ
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 65

Big Mike View Post
Nice job. I look at MAE and MFE on a per trade basis mainly. If for instance, you take a big stop on a trade that had a nice MFE, then there is a lot of room for improvement. You seem to have a nice balance with your results, keep at it.

Mike

Gotcha. I didn't realize what they meant, until I looked them up after you mentioned them. Very interesting. I thank you very much!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

mojojojo77 
BayArea, CA

Did some experimenting over the weekend, some market replay and indicator comparitives. I reduced my high time frame down from MRenko9 to Mrenko8, sticking with the MRenko3 short time frame. I replayed one day in July using an 89 tick 3 line break chart for triggers and worked very well. More experimentation needed. I also took a close look at the d9ParticleOsc vs the TSI4. What I noticed was the TSI oscillator plotted very similar to the raw trend line on the d9 (I haven't completely read the d9 post so maybe I missed something). Anyway I really like the signal generation of the d9 and like the smoothing of the TSI4 signal line; so I am now overlaying the signal line on the d9 on the MRenko3 chart.

Trade #1: Market moving fast right here, lots of slippage, basically killed the trade. Hard to grade this. I am going with a 'C'. It would have been better to pass on the trade all together once the price action moved so fast away from the entry; I suppose there was some hesitation but I did pull the trigger; however, hesitation on this one was 4-5 ticks every 2 seconds. Was filled at the absolute low of the cycle down, reversed against me immediately resulting in a total loss of -$130 including commission.

Trade #2: Not happy about trade #1, took a counter trend trade without a real countertrend move on the high time frame chart. Even though there was not a heavy loss on this (-$5 including commission), this trade was on emotion, not mechanics, so a big 'F' on this one. MFE looks pretty bad too!

Trade #3: Went short on a legitimate support break. Grade is a 'C' due to exiting the trade too early with a +$35 net profit. Good setup execution, poor management.

Trade #4: Short again going all in/all out for an 8 tick target. Hit target and filled both contracts (at different values) for a $65 net gain. Grade 'A' for trade execution and management.

Overall -$35 net for the day.

Tomorrow I will only be able to trade for the first hour. Wednesday & Thursday look like I will not be able to trade at all, so I will try to market replay some random date from June or July for an hour or two.

Anyway, good night all and happy trading!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	082211 NT7 Trades 1-3.png
Views:	238
Size:	655.2 KB
ID:	47164   Click image for larger version

Name:	082211 NT7 Trade 4.png
Views:	213
Size:	626.9 KB
ID:	47165   Click image for larger version

Name:	082211 Trade Blotter.png
Views:	192
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	47166  
Thanked by:

mojojojo77 
BayArea, CA

Only able to watch market for first 1/2 hour or so.

Added ADXVMA and Sharkband for trying to identify chop on the MRenko3 chart. Trying to avoid getting chopped up like I did on several trades from Friday and Monday which cost $490 in potentially avoidable net losses.

I noticed my text plots and markers are not showing up in the correct locations on the chart so I added white arrows to identify the entries and exits.

Trade #1: Broke the SharkBand in the cycle up, kind of a late entry in the cycle, tightened the stop up pretty fast as the stochastic began dropping. Stopped out with a -$60 net loss. I'm not sure how to grade myself on this. Adding indicators without extensive testing is probably not a good idea. Anyway, in terms of execution, I waited for price to break the bands; my gut told me it was kind of late in the cycle/wave to enter and I raised the stop quickly once the stochastic flipped. I suppose a 'B' as I have added those sharkbands and I will stick with them for now, the trade was executed correctly, was just a loss.

Trade #2: Sharkband break with all systems go for a well executed trade and $115 net profit. This one made me feel good! I'd like to execute this way all of the time. I even got filled at the trigger price of the trade! Grade
'A'.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	082311 All Trades and Trade Blotter.png
Views:	233
Size:	877.9 KB
ID:	47503  
Thanked by:

mojojojo77 
BayArea, CA

MELTDOWN!

Trade #1: got a sharkband break late in the lower pivot high cycle, waited for the stochastic to flatten out and took a secondary entry on the sharkbands. Was stopped out at a full loss. Very ugly trade. Traded the rules but just got stopped out. By the time the SuperTrend was hit, within 5 seconds price hit the 2121 stop level. Grade 'B'? Net -$130.

Trade #2: Just wanted some quick revenge on the market, and that usually works out pretty well. Grade 'F'. Net -$120.

Trade #3: Very quickly after the last trade a legitimate setup long out of SharkBands, up to the daily pivot. Was very frustrated after Trade #2 so I tried to pull it together as the day seemed ot be spiraling downward. Anyway, price hit my first target then quickly shot up to the pivot and immediately back down. I didn't get filled on target 2 so I jumped out thinking the market was going to quickly pull back. Net +$70, Grade 'B'.

Trade #4: Breaking rules again. 'Thinking' price was going to break the bands I jumped in short early. After bouncing on that support level a couple of times I exited at a -$25 net. 'F' for breaking rules.

Trade #5: Decent entry on sharkband break in direction of trend, took some heat on the trade then began moving in my direction, but fear overtook me as I had a flash of the price moving back against me. +$5 net. Not going anywhere at that pace. Grade 'D' only for good entry execution, but very poor management.

Trade #6: Choppy market on the MRenko8 with an upside bias on the TSI4, traded in direction of stochastic. MRenko3 broke sharkbands and managed a small profit of +$35 net. This was not a good trade to take, I was trying to fight back the market by trying to take a quick scalp on anything I could get after what I thought was watching opportunites to make money go by. Grade 'F'.

Trade #7: Long breaking the rules again, mixed signals, -$155 net. Grade 'F'.

Trade #8: Broke sharkband, hesitant on entry after getting killed today, got in anyway managing to pare losses a slightly. Net +$70.

Summary: -$250 net for the day. Will not be able to fulfill my quest to trade for a living this way. Mismanaged trades and emotions and broke too many rules.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	082511 Trade 1-4.png
Views:	212
Size:	692.8 KB
ID:	47508   Click image for larger version

Name:	082511 Trade 5.png
Views:	191
Size:	660.7 KB
ID:	47509   Click image for larger version

Name:	082511 Trade 6.png
Views:	205
Size:	663.6 KB
ID:	47510   Click image for larger version

Name:	082511 Trade 7 & 8.png
Views:	196
Size:	701.6 KB
ID:	47511   Click image for larger version

Name:	082511 Trade Blotter.png
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	47512  

mojojojo77 
BayArea, CA

Traded today using MedianRenko 8 and 4 charts. Was overly cautious I think due to yesterday's poor results. Did place 4 trades total, all winners (1 live trade); total sim net profit +$160 for the day.

Trade #1: Live trade: long at 2099, just before market open for attempted gap fill, 1 contract, stop at 2093.75.
Began moving target up on thinkorswim 'active trader' matrix as soon as order was filled but within 11 seconds hit standard target 1 of 8 ticks. Marekt went on to fill gap within 6 minutes. Though I didn't expect the market to move that fast prior to open, Grade 'C' for not allowing myself more prep time to adjust my planned target of the gap fill prior to placing the order. Net +$35.

Trade #2: Counter trend pivot. Reviewing the chart there was a better trade placement 5 minutes earlier at 2137.50. I feel that this was not an ideal setup for a CT trade With very little pullback in price or time. Just following the cycle of the stochastic. Anyway, I grade myself a 'D' for an inadvisable entry point. Net +$45.

Trade #3: Support bounce: Price did not come all the way down to the trendline but close. I thought it was starting to cycle back up but was a little early. Though the d9PO raw trend line began pointing upward, price tends to have more follow through once the raw trend line crosses zero on the MRenko8. Although a good trade, I will grade a 'D' as exercising a bit more patience (sitting on hands) could have produced a better result, and still downward bias on MRenko8. Net +$40.

Trade #4: Vertical/channel trendline break short. I liked mostly everything about this trade. Price broke vertical
support, I got a very good fill & hit my first target in very short order. I wanted to stay with the trade, but
price stalled and began acting squirrely on the MRenko4; I was concerned as price was moving toward an equivalent low of 2152 (but still that's 4 points away!). I jumped out with a net +$75. Grade 'B'.

SIM: Total gross profit for the week was $130 with $170 in commissions totaling a -$40 net.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	082611 Trade 1.png
Views:	199
Size:	764.7 KB
ID:	47514   Click image for larger version

Name:	082611 Trade 2 & 3.png
Views:	208
Size:	816.9 KB
ID:	47515   Click image for larger version

Name:	082611 Trade 4.png
Views:	197
Size:	800.3 KB
ID:	47516   Click image for larger version

Name:	082611 End of Week NT7 Trade Blotter.png
Views:	183
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	47517  

mojojojo77 
BayArea, CA

Well, the webinar on Saturday was excellent, so I borrowed one of the templates posted after, made some adjustments and decided to test it in sim live on Monday; and got obliterated! I zoomed in quite a bit for trade entry and was not watching the higher time frame chart. I'm used to utilizing the higher time frame for HH/LL etc. pivot structure. Reviewing some of the trades made on Monday, I see I entered very late after the signal was generated (see chart #3: Perry's Template). Also, I placed way too many trades; I notice I tend to do that when the day is not going well for me, trying desperately to catch up; instead of accepting a loss for the day and walking away, I keep trading and suffer more losses.

When comparing Perry's template posted in the elite section his is much cleaner and easier to identify signals; however, I don't think I'm quite up to the task at pursuing his method for now (perhaps some market replay in the near future).

So, my thoughts at the close are this: I did a trial on TradeStation some time ago with the KwikPop indicators (actually paid for 1 quarter with trading room) and what I liked about them was the clear identification of the swing/pivot highs and lows. The swings occur when their A900 indicator (not sure what A900 is) crosses their Autostop indicator (which is pretty close to a 15 period triangular moving average on Tradestation); these pivot swings generate far in advance to the ZigZagUTC or Swing indicators on Ninja. So I've opted to download a trial of KP on Ninja and use the 8 and 4 period MedianRenko charts on NQ instead of their volume charts on ES for a review. For the most part, what I've tried to do since the KwikPop for TradeStation trial is duplicate their method without paying $200+ per month for a continuing subscription.

I did notice Sharky had mentioned in one post (not sure where now) that he had duplicated many of their indicators some time ago (perhaps in 2009/2010) and posted them in the 'All You Need' thread. I took a cursory look through and I believe I've spotted two similar which are the Zeller/Sharkfin paintbars which generates signals similar to KPScoreCardColor, and the SharkBand2_v2, which is similar to the KPPivot indicators (though I haven't looked at it enough as a comparative in live trading for the timeliness of signal generation). The other I found which was similar to KPMedium was the raw trend of the d9ParticleOscillator posted by sefstrat. I'm not much of a programmer, have done some things with EasyLanguage, but C# is way out of my league! Any input or thoughts on where I can find other similar indicators would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	082911 Trade Blotter.png
Views:	181
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	47919   Click image for larger version

Name:	082911 Perrys System Attempt.png
Views:	216
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	47920   Click image for larger version

Name:	082911 Perrys Template.png
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	47921  
Thanked by:

mojojojo77 
BayArea, CA

Trade #1: Double Top from MRenko8 chart. Typically I like to see a Lower Pivot High for a short on the trade entry chart but if the Swing/Pivot structure on the higher time frame chart is in line a trade is acceptable. Nice trade overall, good entry, management, need to keep it up! Grade A.

Trade #2: Jumped the gun on this one. Needed to wait until a Higher Pivot Low was formed on the MRenko4 chart as I did not enter the trade at the first signal generated in this swing at 7:08 Pacific. A Better signal was generated around 7:26PT. Grade 'F' though this was not a horrible entry, however, was not as mechanical as I would prefer and not off of a swing/pivot based on the KPPivots (A900 crossing AutoStop).

Trade #3: A very nice setup Higher Pivot Low at 8:25PT, everything lined up very nice, momentum still positive on the MRenko8 chart. Grade A.

Trade #4: Oops, fake out to the upside around 12:08PT. It's hard to spot on the chart now, but at the time of the trade I believe I had a negative arrow for momentum on the MRenko8 chart, though there seemed to still be upside bias. The market had been choppy for about 45 minutes and I did wait for a push up beyond the days highs (I don't recall having any success ever going long at the market highs). There was a pivot long generated but the market was choppy and a pivot bounce after the breakout is preferred, so I guess grade C.

Was positive until the last trade, gross at $0 and 8 contracts traded for -$40 on the day.

I've included some charts from my BaseSystem for comparatives to the KwikPop setup.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	083011 TradeBlotter.png
Views:	198
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	47922   Click image for larger version

Name:	083011 MRenko8.png
Views:	206
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	47923   Click image for larger version

Name:	083011 Trade 1 & 2.png
Views:	193
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	47924   Click image for larger version

Name:	083011 Trade 3 & 4.png
Views:	193
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	47925   Click image for larger version

Name:	083011 BaseSystem Trade 1 & 2.png
Views:	202
Size:	724.3 KB
ID:	47926   Click image for larger version

Name:	083011 BaseSystem Trade 3.png
Views:	182
Size:	691.2 KB
ID:	47930   Click image for larger version

Name:	083011 BaseSystem Trade 4.png
Views:	192
Size:	617.2 KB
ID:	47931  
Thanked by:

mojojojo77 
BayArea, CA

I was taking a look at the KPScoreCardColors vs Zeller_Sharkfin_Paintbars and ZSharkTrendStochChop. Screenshot 1 shows KP vs ZSharkTrend, Chart 2 KP vs ZellerSharkfin with the default 5 period, Chart 3 KP vs ZellerSharkfin 13 period, Chart 4 KP vs ZellerSharkfin 21 period. I think I like the ZSharkTrendStochChop best (an indicator I've already been using), as it appears to be more conservative in transitioning colors, though the ZellerSharkfin 21 period looks fairly similar. I haven't fooled with the settings on ZSharkTrend at all to see what kind of different result I could get, but I will get to that.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	083011 KPScoreCardColor vs ZSharkTrendStochChop2.png
Views:	222
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	47932   Click image for larger version

Name:	083011 KPScoreCardColor vs Zeller_Sharkfin_Paintbars(5).png
Views:	239
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	47933   Click image for larger version

Name:	083011 KPScoreCardColor vs Zeller_Sharkfin_Paintbars(13).png
Views:	202
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	47934   Click image for larger version

Name:	083011 KPScoreCardColor vs Zeller_Sharkfin_Paintbars(21).png
Views:	198
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	47935  
Thanked by:

mojojojo77 
BayArea, CA

TRADE #1: Market had previously pushed through the 7/26 - 8/9 daily 61.8% retracement to the upside, waited for some negative momentum on the MRenko8 chart and a push through the 2260.25 level for a short. Not a lower pivot high but coincident with an intraday vertical trend line break so I took a short. Got chopped around for close to 3 minutes, then trade began moving in my favor then back up, so I exited with +2 ticks net. Within seconds, it began moving back down. There were a couple of earlier entries breaking the intraday highs but I passed as it seems I always get burned.

Note: keeping an eye on a simple 'All You Need' setup with on a 12 Range with 3 MAs in panel 2,3,4 with ZellerSharkfin bars with a period setting of 9. Very nice setup showing good entries. Very minimalist chart too.

Note: 8:02AM PT: NQ at +28.25 for the day, starting to move down now, considering a Lower Pivot High trade for a potential move down to fill the gap. Time to SOH and wait. We did gap up nearly 22 points on NQ so I'm not too sure about a gap fill, which is close to the daily Floor Pivot Point. Maybe 1/2?

TRADE #2: Took a live short off a lower pivot high and support break at 2252.75. Got out near the R1 pivot support. Too chicken to ride it down any further! Net +9 ticks.

TRADE #3: Lower Pivot High and support break at 2245.25. Sim trade filled at 2244.75, started bouncing around
intrabar after taking some heat, exited with 10 ticks net, getting close to Value Area High at 2241. Good trade,
need to work on staying in longer! Each swing seems to be moving from 11 to 14 NQ points.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	083111 Trades 1 - 3.png
Size:	800.5 KB
ID:	47962  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 22, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts