NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The PandaWarrior Chronicles

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 945 posts (6,447 thanks)
    2. looks_two tigertrader with 101 posts (1,011 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tderrick with 88 posts (205 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 85 posts (437 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 10 thanks per post
    2. looks_two PandaWarrior with 6.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 5.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 VinceVirgil with 3.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 401,141 views
    2. thumb_up 11,064 thanks given
    3. group 162 followers
    1. forum 2,157 posts
    2. attach_file 207 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

The PandaWarrior Chronicles

bobarian 
whitestone, new york

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja trader
Thanks Given: 5,258
Thanks Received: 3,120

PandaWarrior View Post
A nice day to day, I was more in tune with the market, far more patient, both with the set up and with waiting for the trade to develop. Mentally I was short all morning, but my higher time frames said long. I did trade short a couple of times but got on board with the long when the 1 min said the shorts were over.

I also took a trade I've never tried before. A counter trend with no moving average to confirm. It was the triangle breakdown after the $1 spike up this morning. I did it with only 1 lot and for only ten ticks as I have no idea how to gauge possible targets for a trade like that. Turns out it was a great trade but I got mine on the first impulse out of the triangle.

Overall a net of 43 ticks gained today.

First trade was a loser. Second trade was a BE+1, third trade was for 33 ticks and last trade was ten ticks.

[IMG]http://content.screencast.com/users/aztrader9/folders/Jing/media/1972103d-8311-43a3-b734-3b5c2fef9ac0/2012-01-12_0857.png[/IMG]

Nice job! I know in the past on ninja, you were using a 21 ema.It looks like now , however, youre mas are much longer.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

PandaWarrior View Post
A nice day to day, I was more in tune with the market, far more patient, both with the set up and with waiting for the trade to develop. Mentally I was short all morning, but my higher time frames said long. I did trade short a couple of times but got on board with the long when the 1 min said the shorts were over.

listen to market instead of yourself, awesome!

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

bobarian View Post
Nice job! I know in the past on ninja, you were using a 21 ema.It looks like now , however, youre mas are much longer.

Not a bad idea in a rangy-esque market?

Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,405

PandaWarrior View Post

I also took a trade I've never tried before. A counter trend with no moving average to confirm. It was the triangle breakdown after the $1 spike up this morning. I did it with only 1 lot and for only ten ticks as I have no idea how to gauge possible targets for a trade like that. Turns out it was a great trade but I got mine on the first impulse out of the triangle.

First trade was a loser. Second trade was a BE+1, third trade was for 33 ticks and last trade was ten ticks.

well it turns out there is a reason I don't post in threads where the math guys hang out...I cant even add the number of ticks properly..... a -10+BE+33+10 does not add up to 43. It adds up to 33 which matches my PnL.....

sheesh.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Started this thread

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

bobarian View Post

Those MA's are:

Red: 1 Min 89 SSMA
Green: 5M 89 SSMA
Purple: 15 89 SSMA

Over the month of December when I wasn't trading, I looked at lot of historical charts with the 21 and the 89 on them. The 21 seemed to be pretty decent at following a trend and catching smaller pull backs on the 1M chart. However, as you know, there is a lot of noise on the 1M chart. Over the course of the month, I noticed that the slower MA tended to catch the deeper pull backs better (duh) and that the moves from there were often times much larger than from the 21. So I made a decision to trade both the 21 and the 89.

After a couple of days of that, I decided to look at the price action with just the 89.

Since I trade only around the MA, this produced fewer trade opportunities thereby helping to reduce over trading, it reduced my decision fatigue by removing the number of times I have to make a decision and it opened up the possibility of targets larger than 15 ticks. And for some reason, it seems like my stops are smaller....but that could be my imagination as I have NOT tested that theory.

In theory anyway, if you can get all the stars lined up, a nice long run will ensue......which appears to have happened twice today.

Anyway, its also forcing me to read price action away from the MA for either a continuation trade or perhaps a counter trend trade like I did today. If I can get good at those two trades, I might have something going on.

Short question, long answer.

Started this thread

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Started this thread
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

PandaWarrior View Post
Those MA's are:

Red: 1 Min 89 SSMA
Green: 5M 89 SSMA
Purple: 15 89 SSMA

Over the month of December when I wasn't trading, I looked at lot of historical charts with the 21 and the 89 on them. The 21 seemed to be pretty decent at following a trend and catching smaller pull backs on the 1M chart. However, as you know, there is a lot of noise on the 1M chart. Over the course of the month, I noticed that the slower MA tended to catch the deeper pull backs better (duh) and that the moves from there were often times much larger than from the 21. So I made a decision to trade both the 21 and the 89.

After a couple of days of that, I decided to look at the price action with just the 89.

Since I trade only around the MA, this produced fewer trade opportunities thereby helping to reduce over trading, it reduced my decision fatigue by removing the number of times I have to make a decision and it opened up the possibility of targets larger than 15 ticks. And for some reason, it seems like my stops are smaller....but that could be my imagination as I have NOT tested that theory.

In theory anyway, if you can get all the stars lined up, a nice long run will ensue......which appears to have happened twice today.

Anyway, its also forcing me to read price action away from the MA for either a continuation trade or perhaps a counter trend trade like I did today. If I can get good at those two trades, I might have something going on.

Short question, long answer.

Whenever I am looking at a 'system' or 'tweaks' I always look for 'death days' and I am curious if you have identified any days that will really hurt? What does that look like, etc...

My favorite MA's that I have identified (depends on the instrument) are the 21/34/89... Funny how after being introduced to those that people still find them interesting.

Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

bluemele View Post
Whenever I am looking at a 'system' or 'tweaks' I always look for 'death days' and I am curious if you have identified any days that will really hurt? What does that look like, etc...

My favorite MA's that I have identified (depends on the instrument) are the 21/34/89... Funny how after being introduced to those that people still find them interesting.

Any day can be a death day. But I assume you mean taking trades based on what I think should happen around the MA and the answer is it depends. Do you trade every bar? Do you wait from some sort of price action you recognize? Do you stop trading if you have 2-3 losers in a row which more than likely is trying to tell you something?

I to like those three MA's. However, there is no magic in them, just context for price action.

Anything works within reason or within context. Its 100% the trader that determines the success/failure of the chosen trading method.

Started this thread
Thanked by:

VinceVirgil 
Toronto, Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT
Broker: TD Ameritrade, Dorman/Zenfire
Trading: CL,ES
Thanks Given: 2,144
Thanks Received: 9,223

PandaWarrior View Post

OK so the number was 33...Still a keeper.

Great psot ...Just the tone of your post exudes confidence and to read it is encouraging, for all of us developing traders.

Amazing what a difference a day makes...

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

PandaWarrior View Post
Any day can be a death day. But I assume you mean taking trades based on what I think should happen around the MA and the answer is it depends. Do you trade every bar? Do you wait from some sort of price action you recognize? Do you stop trading if you have 2-3 losers in a row which more than likely is trying to tell you something?

I to like those three MA's. However, there is no magic in them, just context for price action.

Anything works within reason or within context. Its 100% the trader that determines the success/failure of the chosen trading method.

What I mean is a visual backtest of how often between the time you trade will it be a really bad market condition for the method. Just something I do whenever I change something is look at market conditions of Christmas Past to see what could happen etc.. That is all I meant...

Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 14, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts