NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The PandaWarrior Chronicles

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one PandaWarrior with 945 posts (6,447 thanks)
    2. looks_two tigertrader with 101 posts (1,011 thanks)
    3. looks_3 tderrick with 88 posts (205 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 85 posts (437 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 10 thanks per post
    2. looks_two PandaWarrior with 6.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 5.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 VinceVirgil with 3.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 399,232 views
    2. thumb_up 11,064 thanks given
    3. group 162 followers
    1. forum 2,157 posts
    2. attach_file 207 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

The PandaWarrior Chronicles

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: ATC/TT, AMP/Zen-Fire, AMP/CQG
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 3,803
Thanks Received: 2,842

PFGBEST has been someone I have been using on Demo and the demo servers SUCK! I was told the Live servers are much better....

I personally LOVE MT4, but I hate the order entry aspects. The platform is pretty sweet in my eyes, but needs some getting used to as it is very utilitarian.

Also, remember that 'bucket shops' will trade against you, but if you are doing long term trades and/or do not put in your stops/limits then you are fine. NO STOPS! haha...

Personally, my favorite forex brokers are IBFX (just bought by the evil TradeStation) so it could be ruined. If you are opening an account with more than 20K, then I would go with CITIFX if they approve you. Next in line would be Oanda but if you need NT, then Interactive Brokers, MB Trading and PFGBEST are the only one's I know of.

If you are swing or Position trading, then be careful on SWAPS, so CITIFX will probably be a better stop as well. Plus, since CITIFX is the only 'bank' that allows you to trade FX, then you will be able to avoid FIFO and Hedging restrictions etc..

FIFO is pretty much a moot issue with most MT4 capable brokers now anyways. But like Oanda has terrible swap rates and the swaps can kill you. I held a AUDUSD SHORT for about 2 months and it hurt....

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

I suggest highly getting somewhat comfortable with MT4.

Data goes back 20+ years on majors.

I couldn't get very far with PFGBEST or GAIN (forex.com) back in the day...

Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,404

bluemele View Post
PFGBEST has been someone I have been using on Demo and the demo servers SUCK! I was told the Live servers are much better....

I personally LOVE MT4, but I hate the order entry aspects. The platform is pretty sweet in my eyes, but needs some getting used to as it is very utilitarian.

Also, remember that 'bucket shops' will trade against you, but if you are doing long term trades and/or do not put in your stops/limits then you are fine. NO STOPS! haha...

Personally, my favorite forex brokers are IBFX (just bought by the evil TradeStation) so it could be ruined. If you are opening an account with more than 20K, then I would go with CITIFX if they approve you. Next in line would be Oanda but if you need NT, then Interactive Brokers, MB Trading and PFGBEST are the only one's I know of.

If you are swing or Position trading, then be careful on SWAPS, so CITIFX will probably be a better stop as well. Plus, since CITIFX is the only 'bank' that allows you to trade FX, then you will be able to avoid FIFO and Hedging restrictions etc..

FIFO is pretty much a moot issue with most MT4 capable brokers now anyways. But like Oanda has terrible swap rates and the swaps can kill you. I held a AUDUSD SHORT for about 2 months and it hurt....

Since I know nothing of the forex intricacies, can you define the term "SWAPS" and why the FIFO issue is important and why using a "bank" makes the issue go away.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Started this thread
Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

PFGBEST has several platforms, among them is this MotiveWave: Stocks, Futures, Options and Forex Trading/Analysis Platform this platform appears to have many of the features I would like in a trading platform but the one that stands out the most is native OSX compatibility. This just changed the dynamics of my trading world. If this platform is good and works well on my Mac, I may have the best of everything!

PFGBEST also supports Mac, who knew!

Looks like I will be engaged in a demo on my Mac for the next month.

Started this thread
Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

PandaWarrior View Post
Since I know nothing of the forex intricacies, can you define the term "SWAPS" and why the FIFO issue is important and why using a "bank" makes the issue go away.

Here is a setup I just took with my brand new 250K DEMO account!

My goal this year is to work towards building a solid long term (swing and position) type technique using FX. I am VERY familiar with FX through a year of diving deep into forexfactory.com and learning a lot along the way. I am a fan of several threads that I 'lurk' and have learned a lot from guys over there. However, the community just isn't the same as Big Mike's...

Anyways, SWAP is the difference between what one country pays on on holding their currencies vs. the other pair. As you know, you buy GBPUSD, you are going LONG Pound, and short USD. So, you look at current swap rates and can deduce roughly what you SHOULD be getting.

Forex News @ Forex Factory (down on the bottom left)

GBP = .5% (buying)
USD < .25% (selling)

Difference of .25% technically, but is a lot more complicated because of the 'amounts' of currency you actually buy etc.
Swap Rates, Interest Rate swaps, FX Rates - Forex Trading Tools - Interbank FX

You will also see that most brokers 'jip' you of your swap and actually becomes a profit center for them. The funny thing is that bucket shops don't want you to ROBOT them to death (they will shut down your account), nor do they set things up conveniently for positive swaps (hurts position trading) so they really guide you into a sweet spot of not too much trading, but oh just right for them to burn-n-churn.

Remember this, your broker is WORKING AGAINST YOU. THEY ARE 100% WORKING AGAINST YOU AND DO NOT WISH THAT YOU MAKE A MILLION DOLLARS ON THEIR WATCH. They are competing with you on every single trade unless they can successfully hedge but even then they still want to make money off of you!

Per CitiFx, I don't know their swaps, but I imagine they are better as OANDA's are terrible for certain and that is why I am not currently considering them. I have had IBFX for 1.5 years and love them personally, but again they were just bought and no Ninja Trader...

Not that it would affect you, but if you ever read about the MT4 issues with forex.com and FXCM it will shock you to see how blatantly they toyed with their customers to take their money.

OH, and if you see down in the bottom window, you see my P&L on the trade. It turned a profitable trade into a loser.... Just from SWAP. This trade was an accident as I am in with 2% of my account, but I meant to do only 1% since it is counter-trend on the daily and weekly.

Thanked by:

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

Oh, and my understanding as to why a 'bank' is better as they aren't under the Dodd/Frank bill that affects all CFTC's, IB's etc..

First in, First Out was to eliminate HFT and pushing prices down and somehow the only people that actually are stuck with this are RETAIL traders!!!

No Hedging started in 2010 (October) as well as 50:1 leverage limits for all US brokers. Somehow retail traders have caused the demise of the current financial situation and especially through FOREX! I think there was some hangover from when they broke (almost) the bank of England.. haha...

No country likes people playing with their currency until it works in there favor... Funny how that works.

Anyways, No Hedging sucks because some systems require it...

By being a bank, you just hold currency in one account and the opposite currency in another 'account'. They are not subject to the same Doodles and Franklin bills...

Thanked by:

bobarian 
whitestone, new york

Platform: ninja trader
Thanks Given: 5,258
Thanks Received: 3,120

is the liquidity good enough for safe trading?(forex)

bluemele 
Honolulu, Hawaii

bobarian View Post
is the liquidity good enough for safe trading?(forex)

Some market maker/bucket shop brokers have guarantee's that fills are 'mandatory'.

Forex is by far the largest market in the world. So, liquidity is not a problem. However, you will get slippage and forex is not as competitive as futures when considering commissions if trading within normal RTH.

If you can trade well under daily, then in my opinion futures is much better (also for taxes). But, if you want to trade long term position or swing, Forex can be a great market. You can also swing/position trade futures as well, but in my opinion they move differently.

Thanked by:

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Here is my first workspace. Its just something I am playing around with trying to get it set up so it works more or less like my ninja workspace does.

Started this thread
Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,173
Thanks Received: 101,537

PandaWarrior View Post
Here is my first workspace. Its just something I am playing around with trying to get it set up so it works more or less like my ninja workspace does.

Nice, if you have a chance maybe you will post in the below thread to give us your insight and feedback. I've heard some good things about the platform in the last few months.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 14, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts