NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading on the iPAD

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sysot1t with 34 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Bermudan Option with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Treggs with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 16,525 views
    2. thumb_up 7 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading on the iPAD

sysot1t 

I ended up getting the kids iPAD's... they love it and they have gotten quite adept at using it in less than a week.. so that is a good thing... the iPAD is truly great for kids, so if you have one, I would certainly recommend it your kids.... expensive i know.. specially when you add the otterbox and the pen so they can write on it.. but worth every penny.

this was the best testing I ever did of a device, and the best take away of the whole research I had to do... I still kept my iPAD 1 rather than upgrading to a 2.. no sense on spending $200 just to get more space on a 2...

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

heywally 
Pismo Beach CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS, IB, Fidelity for 'swing' trades
Trading: ES, NQ, IBB, IWM, NG
Thanks Given: 80
Thanks Received: 90

Late to the party in this thread but I just ordered an iPad -- GarageBand clinched it for me -- and will be testing the broker Apps - TDAmer/TOS (which truly sucks on my MOT Android X phone) and IB's mobile App, which, while it lacks good charting functionality, seems solid for connectivity and trades on my Droid X. Too bad IB has that irritating security device for logins.

Luckily for me, I've moved to 'bigger picture' trading and can get by -- I think -- with less than great charting with IB's iPad app if the buttons and trade executions are solid (and I know where the support zones are), and as long as I can quickly refer to briefing.com's mobile app -- excellent BTW -- to verify that the latest quick sell-off isn't the result of bombing Iran or something really bad, beyond the EURO crap.

Will report back ....
ps - then again, I could just continue to use my Droid X ....

"The Future Ain't what it used to be"
Thanked by:
 sysot1t 

heywally View Post
Late to the party in this thread but I just ordered an iPad -- GarageBand clinched it for me -- and will be testing the broker Apps - TDAmer/TOS (which truly sucks on my MOT Android X phone) and IB's mobile App, which, while it lacks good charting functionality, seems solid for connectivity and trades on my Droid X. Too bad IB has that irritating security device for logins.

Luckily for me, I've moved to 'bigger picture' trading and can get by -- I think -- with less than great charting with IB's iPad app if the buttons and trade executions are solid (and I know where the support zones are), and as long as I can quickly refer to briefing.com's mobile app -- excellent BTW -- to verify that the latest quick sell-off isn't the result of bombing Iran or something really bad, beyond the EURO crap.

Will report back ....
ps - then again, I could just continue to use my Droid X ....

glad to hear... to me the ipad still lacks... I have been monitoring lately the Samsung Series 7 Slate...

Tablet PCs | Samsung

It seems promising so far... I have resisted the temptation to get it thus far... i want to see if it shows up @ some retails places to try it out first..

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 11,328
Thanks Received: 2,743

Asus is supposed to release the Transformer PRIME on Nov 9.
I have an Asus Transformer (with a keyboard) and it is great.
The Prime will be the fastest Android tablet on the planet.

FWIW

sysot1t View Post
glad to hear... to me the ipad still lacks... I have been monitoring lately the Samsung Series 7 Slate...
Tablet PCs | Samsung

It seems promising so far... I have resisted the temptation to get it thus far... i want to see if it shows up @ some retails places to try it out first..

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 sysot1t 

DavidHP View Post

FWIW

if I wanted to focus on something with a keyboard, I rather stick to my T420s or buy an airbook... in any event, the Asus Prime is going to be interesting, but the main factor for me in a tablet is windows, not android... all my apps are windows.. and for some reason trademonter wont work right on androd browser...but even if it did, i would be limited to only the order entry interface for my options, when I need the whole thing... excel w/hoadley tools, OptionNetExplorer and my OE screen...

Bermudan Option 
Chicago, Illinois
1% better Daily

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView
Broker: ThinkOrSwim
Trading: Forex, Stock & Options
Thanks Given: 838
Thanks Received: 471

DavidHP View Post

FWIW

I was looking at the Transformer PRIME as a Black Friday purchase but reading the reviews about the TOS Android App, I think it would be safer to just get a new netbook for 1/2 the price. Sucks coz I really didn't want to buy another netbook...

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 sysot1t 

Bermudan Option View Post
I was looking at the Transformer PRIME as a Black Friday purchase but reading the reviews about the TOS Android App, I think it would be safer to just get a new netbook for 1/2 the price. Sucks coz I really didn't want to buy another netbook...

just hold off until the Samsung is out in force... or spend the $$$ on an X220t, T420s, Macbook Air... all 4 options are around $1K-$1.3K depending on options... the other one I thought about was the MSI WinPad 110W... but by the time I add the bigger SSD, I am talking around $800 anyhow.. so for another $500 one can have the samsung with has better specs and provides a digitizer pen, or a X220t from Lenovo, but that one is kind of thick...

if you are looking to do options on it as I am, samsung better choice.. IMO of course.. as a tech guy that is.. I love my T420s... but I really want to be able to place the laptop flat in front of me when I am in the office... people are nosy and I dont feel like anyone watching my screen.. and I just need to monitor/enter/exit my options trades which are mostly intraday or weekly... to me windows, ram, cpu, screen size and a digitizer pen are kind of relevant...

I think I would still carry my iPAD though... you cant beat the battery life on the ipad for watching movies while on the train or plane..

eudamonia 
Sacramento, CA

Experience: None
Platform: None
Broker: ADM and Sierra Charts
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 308
Thanks Received: 449

@sysot1t

You mentioned that you lack options on the iPad for accessing the software you want. Have you tried doing remote applications to your desktop? This has worked well for me. There are several apps out there like Jump and Splashtop that work very well. With Jump I can actually view of my monitors at home and I've found few limitations (even over 3G) except for the inherent latency issues you mentioned earlier in the thread.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 sysot1t 

eudamonia View Post
@ sysot1t

You mentioned that you lack options on the iPad for accessing the software you want. Have you tried doing remote applications to your desktop? This has worked well for me. There are several apps out there like Jump and Splashtop that work very well. With Jump I can actually view of my monitors at home and I've found few limitations (even over 3G) except for the inherent latency issues you mentioned earlier in the thread.

I did looked at those options as well... I use wyse pocketcloud pro on my ipad today and I have a VM with 1&1 ... the only issue I have ran into is that I cant run all my software (due to license issues) on the VM.. that combined with if you are in a plane, you really cant do much with the ipad but watch some silly movie... which is why I prefer a tablet pc.. i can always use the cache market data and just work in excel or MarketDelta..

I used to carry too much crap with me... two laptops (a W500 and a X301) ... i dropped that combo for T420s + iPAD(Gen 1)... I would love to eventually just make it a single device ( a tablet pc 14" 1600x900 8GB+ RAM 256GB SSD <0.5" thick with pen, 2+ micro usb, XD slot, and a few other goodies) that I can carry that can replace it all...

I know lenovo will eventually come around with the right device.. either them or samsung... I like the samsung thus far, and the other one that I like (but it is android based) is the lenovo thinkpad tablet...

I am bias towards lenovo of course... I have been using thinkpads for the past 10+ years... they are solid machines.. I dont mind paying the additional premium for the good quality..

Last Updated on November 8, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts