NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading on the iPAD

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sysot1t with 34 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Bermudan Option with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Treggs with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 16,655 views
    2. thumb_up 7 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading on the iPAD

sysot1t 

I have been with IBKR for over 6 years now, their universal account is great, and some of their tools are decent. The MobileTWS interface is clean, and quite intuitive, but still lacking. The charting wont show intraday, and the daily will be for the prior day which is a waste. In order to see the current day one has to select portfolio after opening a position and then it will show the compressed version of today, which is still a waste as it does not allow the resolution on the chart to be changed. The charts also do not allow you to add any indicators at all, which is another problem. There is also no support for options.

so functionality wise for order entry is good, quickly switching between instruments and looking at positions and order entry for futures is good as well. charting wise, lacking big time.

The issue with the charting IMO comes from the data being charted from the start of the day. IBKR on MobileTWS is treating index futures as if they were tied to the US Markets 100% and following equities regular trading hours. The charts for FX for example, will show a 24 hour period, which is what I expected. That still does not mean you get the add any indicators to the charts.

It is a shame that I have to cut it, since it is a very clean and quick interface to use for trading overall. I like its simplicity.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

Treggs 
Working on my LCD tan

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 52

sysot1t View Post
I looked at android 3.1 on the Samsung 10.1 ... I bought it as well over the weekend over at BestBuy... I returned it the next day... 1) the OS is still not there in terms of multitasking, 2) the application support is very limited, 3) couldnt clean up the interface unless I rootkit the device ... I dont mind hacking my own device, but I dont feel like hacking anything.. to me my tools should make my life easier, not more difficult.. also, I dont use NT7, so not interested on having it on the go at all.

Wouldn't you want your desktop trading platform on the go? That's why I suggested an remote desktop app. I prefer android but I'm sure there is an excellent remote desktop app for the ipad. You don't like Honeycomb UI? Each to there own I suppose.

sysot1t 

Treggs View Post
Wouldn't you want your desktop trading platform on the go? That's why I suggested an remote desktop app. I prefer android but I'm sure there is an excellent remote desktop app for the ipad. You don't like Honeycomb UI? Each to there own I suppose.

if you take a look at what I posted under remote access, you will have your answer.

and HoneyComb UI is not to my liking, no... it needs some refinement still..

sysot1t 

I spent today testing ibroker, and it was good. The interface is very intuitive, some minor kinks but rather functional overall. Whomever writes it must trade as well. I don't like the fact that is only one broker, so I will bug the developer and see what other brokers will be supported.

An update to the post .... Broker is great to trade with, non scalping mode of course. I traded demo this morning and order entry, notification and management were good.. Only complaint is the lakck of bracket orders... Stops have to be managed manually.

sysot1t 

one big issue thus far is that for what I really want this iPAD for, options trading, seems to be missing or very limitted in options... basically I am limitted to TOS, eTRade, Fidelity or Schwab... if I wanted to use TradeMonster I am not able to due to flash issues.. which makes me think more about perhaps getting the HP Slate to test as well..

sysot1t 

I was a bit frustrated today by TOS.. it is rather cumbersome when doing certain complex options.. there are so many things I would want to do with a slate type of device, and the iPAD doesnt seem to be the right tool for it thus far... I might need to lower my expectations and use case.. not sure yet... I spent today researching windows based tablets... I was glad to find out that a new generation of slates is coming towars the end of the year... I look forward to trying out a couple.. of special interest is the ideapad from lenovo..

Lenovo's IdeaPad Tablet P1 To Ship With Windows 7 - HotHardware

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,239
Thanks Received: 101,662

Why use such a slim, agile, remote device for such complex stuff? When you are only away from your main computer sometimes during the day... and you always have your notebook with you... ?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 sysot1t 

Big Mike View Post
Why use such a slim, agile, remote device for such complex stuff? When you are only away from your main computer sometimes during the day... and you always have your notebook with you... ?

Mike

the original post contains the reasons as to why... I work for a living, I dont trade... what it comes down to, I need something I can lay down flat on my desk on front of me that no-one else sees... something that will enable me to do my options and even futures trades without having to tweak anything... as I mentioned on the original post, they are discretionary trades, they can last 30mins or they can last 2mins.. comes down to conditions.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,239
Thanks Received: 101,662

sysot1t View Post
the original post contains the reasons as to why... I work for a living, I dont trade... what it comes down to, I need something I can lay down flat on my desk on front of me that no-one else sees... something that will enable me to do my options and even futures trades without having to tweak anything... as I mentioned on the original post, they are discretionary trades, they can last 30mins or they can last 2mins.. comes down to conditions.

Yes I read the original post before replying, and it is your thread, your journey, your trading ... but I was just saying I don't understand why when your notebook is with you at all times, you would elect to use an iPad-type device to initiate complex new trading positions. I totally understand using it to monitor or close positions, but I don't understand the desire to place what you called "certain complex options" positions using the iPad instead of just using your notebook. To me, when I think of these types of positions I require the use of a spreadsheet to know the right formula and share allotment for each hedge, I don't see an iPad as the desired way to do this.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

sleepy 
London, UK

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, CL
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,290
Thanks Received: 114

sysot1t View Post

In my opinion you'd be better off ditching the iPad and going for a Windows 7 tablet such as the ASUS eee Slate EP121. It has the capabilities of a high end notebook (Intel Core i5) in the form of a tablet. The iPad is a toy designed for content consumption.

Asus Eee Slate Review - Tablet Reviews by MobileTechReview
Amazon.com: ASUS Eee Slate EP121-1A011M 12.1-Inch Tablet PC: Computer & Accessories

sleepy

Last Updated on November 8, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts