NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading on the iPAD

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sysot1t with 34 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 5 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Bermudan Option with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Treggs with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 16,632 views
    2. thumb_up 7 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading on the iPAD

sysot1t 

Big Mike View Post
You can also add any broker that supports NinjaTrader, by using this app:

Mike

As someone that owns the multi broker license, I can say that I don't care much for ninjatrader. I would sell my license if it wasn't because it is against their eula

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
25 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks
 sysot1t 

Searching on the apple store I came about QST mobile; on the desktop side, It is decent ... On the iPad side, it has lots and lots to go... Just awful ... I am staying away from it... The functionality and navigation has a long way to mature.

I tried to take screen captures, but the glare on the iPad reflecting the flash or even without the flash makes pictures look really funky..

sysot1t 

so I had a chance on the train to evaluate the news section while I was researching the markets... I had to put some thought about what I was after when evaluating the applications.. which brought me to the question as to: why do I read the news? what am I looking to get from the news?

questioning the reason reminded me that the whole purpose of reading the news is to help with one bias as to how the market might move, and by that I mean the day or even the week bias.. it is not for "entertainment"... I mean, what will move the market? the fact that US gov might be gridlock?, or the fact that a drug adict singer died? ...

hence the difference about news, and news articles... with that in mind I evaluated the choices I had...

- IBD has great content, but the application functions is just akward and not very user friendly... just for that single reason, I was turned off and removed it. I believe an application should be intuitive, easy to use, and functional.

- Financial Times, I love the news paper. Great content, but at the same time lots of news articles. do I really care about all of the sections? no. Their best feature is how they laid out their market data section, I mean it shows me the markets of the world against the world map background, that is just awesome as it takes thought away from me. Other than that I care about their Markets and Companies Section. The rest is a "nice" to have, but I could not care less for the Life and Arts section for example. Going back to my guiding principle for the evaluation, the ratio of news to news articles was very low... for that reason, I decided to remove it.

that leaves me with three news sources... well, two actually... Bloomberg and Reuters... each has its advantages on how they display their data and bloomberg excels at providing me with an overall view markets with charts (D/W/M/Y trends) as well as the strenght of its components... Reuters MarketBoad does as well.. just a bit different. I have to play more with the remaining apps...

News/Research

- Bloomberg (News, Research)
- Reuters MarketBoard (News, Research)
- Reuters News Pro (News)

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,217
Thanks Received: 101,610

MB Trading has a good app for Android, I'm sure it's on iOS too. The charting is pretty good, but order execution leaves much to be desired.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 sysot1t 

Big Mike View Post
MB Trading has a good app for Android, I'm sure it's on iOS too. The charting is pretty good, but order execution leaves much to be desired.

Mike

their iPAD version is still in beta... but I think that tradeInterceptor is better for FX trading as it will support multiple brokers..

sysot1t 

Given the iPAD lacks the required capabilities for running marketdelta for my charting, I figure it would be good to have a source where I can run certain applications that would otherwise run on my laptop or desktop but cant run on the iPAD; to that end I went ahead with obtaining a VPS with W2008R2 STD from godaddy.com before I left the office.

The VPS has been active and I have been installing applications on it. I have tested the RDP clients now over wifi and over 3g, and I have to say they are very close in terms of performance and ease of use. The biggest drawback to the iRdesktop client is the whole ads piece, which pocketcloud has as well, but at lest I can spend $15 and remove those ads to save bw.

so there you have it, as a result of the ads on the iRdesktop app, I am going with pocketcloudpro for $15. The cost is not outrageous, and the features I gain once I go pro match and go beyond what iRdesktop provides as a free version.

Please dont assume that iRdesktop is not a great RDP client, it is actually the best free RDP client there is for the iPAD. I just prefer my software as much as possible without bandwidth consuming ads. If they come up with a for pay version, I would gladly support them as I see value to their app.

Remote Access
- PocketCloud

sysot1t 

I have decided to add etrade to the list of brokers to evaluate... downloaded and installed their app, now I have to figure out if I can do a demo or if I have to fund it.

sysot1t 

after some additional analysis.. for news.. two winners..

News/Research

- Bloomberg (News, Research)
- Reuters MarketBoard (News, Research)

Treggs 
Working on my LCD tan

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 52

I have a Samsung Galaxy S that I use to keep an eye on trades away from my computer. The simplest and most reliable setup i have found is a good quality remote desktop app and twitter (for news). My data provider gives me unlimited twitter usage as part of my data plan so i just found the best twitter app and widget to suit my needs for news and I follow all the usual suspects (bloomberg, ap etc).

I use Xtralogics Android RDP app (approx $25) to remote to my desktop while on the go. I set up port forwarding in my router and the RDP app allow one button press to log into my trading rig securely from anywhere I have a phone signal. The advantage of this setup is I get the reliability and speed of my trading rig and home internet connection and Ninja Trader on the go.

I'm sure you could set this up nicely on an iPad or any android tablet. The other bonus is RDP is widely used so any pc can become your slave in case of emergency.

Keep it simple

sysot1t 

Treggs View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy S that I use to keep an eye on trades away from my computer. The simplest and most reliable setup i have found is a good quality remote desktop app and twitter (for news). My data provider gives me unlimited twitter usage as part of my data plan so i just found the best twitter app and widget to suit my needs for news and I follow all the usual suspects (bloomberg, ap etc).

I use Xtralogics Android RDP app (approx $25) to remote to my desktop while on the go. I set up port forwarding in my router and the RDP app allow one button press to log into my trading rig securely from anywhere I have a phone signal. The advantage of this setup is I get the reliability and speed of my trading rig and home internet connection and Ninja Trader on the go.

I'm sure you could set this up nicely on an iPad or any android tablet. The other bonus is RDP is widely used so any pc can become your slave in case of emergency.

Keep it simple

I looked at android 3.1 on the Samsung 10.1 ... I bought it as well over the weekend over at BestBuy... I returned it the next day... 1) the OS is still not there in terms of multitasking, 2) the application support is very limited, 3) couldnt clean up the interface unless I rootkit the device ... I dont mind hacking my own device, but I dont feel like hacking anything.. to me my tools should make my life easier, not more difficult.. also, I dont use NT7, so not interested on having it on the go at all.

Also, keep in mind my intent is to trade on the device, not to keep track of trades which I can do already via my iphone or any other device... to keep track of trades, $500-$800 for a device seems rather silly.. IMO of course.

Last Updated on November 8, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts