NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 599,585 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

Net 72, done, I have to get ready to go. Another day, not to goal, and trading like a pussy. But, trading like a safe pussy, so I'll take it.

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
26 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks

PandaWarrior 
In the heat

Thanks Given: 6,329
Thanks Received: 13,405

GaryD View Post

I have a meeting at 12pm. As is normal lately, I would be at goal had I traded 3 contracts steady, but when the retrace hit harder than I was wanting, I backed down to 1 contract, and have been chunking out tiny moves, each time expecting the push higher, and each time seeing them just salivating over selling at 84.40.

I was doing the same thing, but I finally came to the conclusion you must finish the day with the same size you started with. Otherwise you lose large and win small. No way to make a fortune.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Leonardo da Vinci

Most people chose unhappiness over uncertainty, Tim Ferris
Thanked by:
 greenr 
london/england

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra charts, NinjaTrader, VK Trader
Broker: CQG, AMP, VK, Kinetick
Trading: CL/6E/TF/ES
Thanks Given: 562
Thanks Received: 1,280

GaryD View Post
Net 72, done, I have to get ready to go. Another day, not to goal, and trading like a pussy. But, trading like a safe pussy, so I'll take it.

Sitting on the plane to NY reading this, there is a great page about a floor trader that reminded me of you gary I'll quote the paragraph when I'm on my laptop with internet. Using my iPhone in starbucks sucks

Just going to visit wall street now, see if I can catch any traders that stole my money when I was younger :-D

" I will follow my rules, I will take my stops, I will be disciplined and i will work with the market....NOT AGAINST IT! Professional mind control is the key"
Thanked by:

eudamonia 
Sacramento, CA

Platform: None
Broker: ADM and Sierra Charts
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 308
Thanks Received: 449

GaryD View Post

Forcing yourself to trade when you aren't "on" isn't going to make you a great trader. Back off when you must, rest your mind, keep the powder dry, and then have faith in yourself that you will be ready.

There are so many opportunities that the market provides that no one can capture them all. The good news is you don't have to.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Did not miss much. The market is winding tighter and tighter. Maybe I'll go for 2 ticks from 84.00 to 84.02... (that is sarcasm)

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Deucalion View Post

Of course, the market decided to give me 92 instead of 45.....har har

Well, I now have 74, instead of 72, so there.

(and it was not from 84.00 to 84.02. I started to take another trade before I left for my meeting and changed my mind. Short at the first test of the dominat T3)

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I don't really understand this price action. Not that I have not seen it before, but I don't get the function of it. If I had to guess, there is just a lot of confusion, and the two sides battle it out until neither is sure what to do. It is a form of consolidation, but not necessariily continuation.

Started this thread

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,776
Thanks Received: 18,226

GaryD View Post
I don't really understand this price action. Not that I have not seen it before, but I don't get the function of it. If I had to guess, there is just a lot of confusion, and the two sides battle it out until neither is sure what to do. It is a form of consolidation, but not necessariily continuation.

Have been thinking the same thing all day and it's very quiet out there (both in blog/forum land as well as the charts). I got some trades early, but this is the type of thin market where it's easy to give back hard earned profits, so I just watch from now until close unless I see something compelling. It's also the kind of market that can turn on a dime.

Thanked by:

Deucalion 
Calgary, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multiple
Broker: Multiple
Trading: Multiple

GaryD View Post

The rise and fall of liquidity...stupid players playing this get killed, market loses liquidity until the next round of fresh meat. Big players will never admit this, but they are too much of a good thing for themselves, slowly killing the market, like a parasite. More efficient they become; less the opportunity including opportunity for themselves....there is only so much fresh meat in a world of shrinking credit....even on a macro scale. Entropy rules..and not even Gman can do anything about it.

Ironically I believe, small agile businesses, with low costs (like you and me) can insulate ourselves much better than any of these big houses. First rule of business - control costs. Then even a small increase in value or productivity is a multiplier. Gman cannot fight you on this.

Trade by exception, when you have an advantage. People believe the king of the jungle is the lion, or the tiger. Ever seen a pack of hyenas. Or vultures....morbid images for sure, but they survive everything.

Even 2 years ago I would trade the TF or the YM, now - I couldn't be bothered, same with CL on most times, specially during RTH hours..I believe in my head (rightly or wrongly) the CL is a broken market like the TF. Swing trading is one way of mitigating this.

PS - I watched the entire RTH session today and all I saw was a minefield better left to more sophisticated traders than me. So kudos.

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

josh View Post
Have been thinking the same thing all day and it's very quiet out there (both in blog/forum land as well as the charts). I got some trades early, but this is the type of thin market where it's easy to give back hard earned profits, so I just watch from now until close unless I see something compelling. It's also the kind of market that can turn on a dime.

Same here. Just watching. I did catch that ES 1285 is still holding, as well as CL 84.40. Both numbers were on my watchlist this morning, and proved just as powerful so far even into the CL close.

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts