NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 597,409 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

Are you scaling, or AIAO?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

researcher247 View Post

You need 21 days to solidify trading at another scale up; it really is true.

That is something I have never heard before. But almost makes this seem easier already. To have no expectations of real performance for at least 21 days, and just let it work itself out.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

josh View Post
Are you scaling, or AIAO?

I doubled my preset contract size, so every time I enter it is two instead of one at a time. An add-in becomes 4 contracts total.

Started this thread

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

GaryD View Post
I doubled my preset contract size, so every time I enter it is two instead of one at a time. An add-in becomes 4 contracts total.

But are you scaling out, or only adding in?

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

josh View Post
But are you scaling out, or only adding in?

Both. I keep each set of two on their own brackets. Or sometimes combine the stops.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Moving. Again.

I am down to the last two pieces of my real estate puzzle; two personal residences once valued at a combined total of roughly $2.9M, currently believed to be worth less than half that. And still possibly not done falling. A friend who today still buys and sells millions in real estate gave me his honest opinion of that last home's value recently, and it was not pretty.

We have been living in one house, renting the other, but have sold the one we are in as a short sale and the closing is this week. Our tenant in the other house was days from eviction recently, due to non-payment, but agreed to leave on his own. And since the timing is somewhat right, but still reluctantly, we are headed back to live in what we once believed would be our final home.

That house is also currently listed for sale, and despite the huge depreciation, the price tag is still greater than what we would consider reasonable for our current situation. (Although many professional opinions say it will not bring anywhere near the asking price).

It was another part of my life I have been somewhat trying to avoid, and hesitated to consider the move due to the possible psychological issues related to a perceived failure in life, but I drove over and walked through every door of the house recently, did not seem to phase me. It is a cool house, but it has not been maintained properly by the tenant of the past two years, and so looks far less spectacular than what I remembered. I bought it in very bad condition years ago, but the location was incredible, and then poured a lot of time and money into making it exactly what my wife and I wanted it to be. It was not a project "for profit", but rather "for living", and as such there are many aspects that are somewhat an outward expression of who we are, or were.

Since technically our occupancy will once again qualify it as our "personal residence", I have become curious how lenders might view trading income. I know that rental income was only good for 70-80% of actual, so would futures trading be a far less percentage, or would they consider it at all? If those lenders told me (as if they were good communicators...) that if I made X more they could consider a loan modification that might put the home within a comfortable reach again, would the house itself become a temptation to create that additional income?

That is really my concern relavant to this journal; that I not allow myself to be convinced that I need to step up my trading for any reason other than I am ready to do so. And therefore, will probably step down again next week to not have so much going on in my mind. Or even not trade for a few days and focus on being aware?

Undecided right now. But an issue to take very seriously.

Started this thread

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,175
Thanks Received: 101,541

I purchased a second home to rent out in the last few years, which as you know is harder to qualify for than a primary home. Lender did not seem to flinch about source of income, just wanted to look at a few years of W2's and all the usual checking, savings, retirement accounts (and trading accounts), etc.

I hope everything goes smoothly with your move. I hate moving. I want my next move to be my final destination. Bury me in the backyard, I'm done.

I visit this site several times a week:
Costa Rica Luxury Real Estate, Million Dollar Homes and Mansions

Just to help me keep my eye on the prize. I hope to be there and technically "retired" (no income needed to live), within the next 5 years (a nice 40th birthday present to myself, if I can do it).

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/whzj5c.jpg[/img]

The Easter weekend brought with it a gap down from Thursday's close, most likely a delayed reaction to Friday's employment report.

On the short side, I am watching the higher of the two red low pivots, and do not include that area into support tonight, giving preference to the blue zone. A break below 101.35 may be enough to propel through the 101 area. Stronger confluence for higher timefraame support continues to reside in the area of 99.40 - 99.70.

On the upside, a break above 103.40 should bring continuation, and if the blue zone holds and reverses may present an opportunity to catch that ride a little early and/or benefit from a potential gap fill.

Started this thread

Private Banker 
La Jolla, CA

Experience: Master
Platform: Sierra Chart, X_Trader Pro, OptionsCity
Broker: Advantage, Trading Technologies, OptionsCity, IQ Feed
Trading: CL, NG
Thanks Given: 1,713
Thanks Received: 3,863

GaryD View Post
Since technically our occupancy will once again qualify it as our "personal residence", I have become curious how lenders might view trading income. I know that rental income was only good for 70-80% of actual, so would futures trading be a far less percentage, or would they consider it at all? If those lenders told me (as if they were good communicators...) that if I made X more they could consider a loan modification that might put the home within a comfortable reach again, would the house itself become a temptation to create that additional income?

Generally from what I've dealt with, it was more of a liquidity snapshot that they were most interested in. Underwriters have typically requested up to 3 years of tax returns. I utilize business entities for my investments which makes it even more complicated but the gist would typically be evidence of liquidity coupled with 3 years of consistent income on your tax returns. I've always worked with a private bank for my financing which allowed for more creative underwriting and loan terms. If you're working with a cookie cutter lender, you may have a hard time getting them to understand your income. They may discount your income to a degree but I would imagine that will vary dependent upon which bank you're working with. A bank looking to sell the mortgage immediately will most likely be more difficult to deal with vs. a bank looking to portfolio the loan. I'm not familiar with the banks out there but obviously just shop around to those that may cater to the investment community more such as a Northern Trust, etc.

Best of luck with the move. By the way, don't let the monetary pressures change the way you approach your trading. The market doesn't care about what our obligations are. Just keep doing what you're doing and maintain the same mental approach you've always had and you'll be fine.

Update: I think I misunderstood what you were talking about. Sorry about that. I thought you were looking for a way to refinance a mortgage with a trader's income as the primary source of reference. I'm not familiar with loan modifications as you mentioned but definitely do your due diligence as always.

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Private Banker View Post
By the way, don't let the monetary pressures change the way you approach your trading. The market doesn't care about what our obligations are.

I have given it every opportunity to show it cared in the past. I do know better today, but just recorded it here this weekend to solidify it somewhat. There is a lot of energy in that house. It was the end goal of something I started 10 years prior to finding it. I don't want it teaming up with crude oil against me.

Private Banker View Post

I'm not familiar with loan modifications as you mentioned but definitely do your due diligence as always.

I am far too familiar with them; 3 approvals, 3x as many denied, one approved then withdrawn... but last week I requested the paperwork anyway...

Thanks for adding to the strength of the post.

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts