NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 599,045 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,771
Thanks Received: 18,188

Deucalion View Post
The CL is a puppy (does that not look like the CL is following ES like a slave?). Only difference is that ES actually looks much more symmetrical. The ES (when it has decent volume) is a joy to trade, lovely structure and it rewards the patient and the contextual. The CL, exciting, is also schizophrenic....

That's a good way to describe it. "Hot potato" comes to mind with the way CL jumps around. I traded CL exclusively for a while, and have been on ES only since last October. They are both nice, just that CL is so darn thin in comparison, my eyes had not watched CL on level 2 since last year and it was quite a refresher on why it's such a volatile instrument.

ES is most definitely a joy; if all days could be like today, I would be in heaven every day. Just absolutely beautiful movement, good range, well behaved, nothing too crazy. Earlier this year with the 8-10 range days it was more difficult. But I'll take a small range well behaved day any time rather than some of the loony volatility that we had last year.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
27 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

On the long side there is now a local triple bottom in place, and CL has yet to make any impressive retracement to it's $11 descent.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

josh View Post
That's a good way to describe it. "Hot potato" comes to mind with the way CL jumps around. I traded CL exclusively for a while, and have been on ES only since last October. They are both nice, just that CL is so darn thin in comparison, my eyes had not watched CL on level 2 since last year and it was quite a refresher on why it's such a volatile instrument.

ES is most definitely a joy; if all days could be like today, I would be in heaven every day. Just absolutely beautiful movement, good range, well behaved, nothing too crazy. Earlier this year with the 8-10 range days it was more difficult. But I'll take a small range well behaved day any time rather than some of the loony volatility that we had last year.

I like CL's power and fluid motion. ES is a back and forth movement, CL's version is more consolidate, explode, consolidate, explode.

Started this thread

Deucalion 
Calgary, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multiple
Broker: Multiple
Trading: Multiple

I expect them to explode the price to 98.50 - 99 in the overnight tonight while we all sleep

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Started this thread
 researcher247 
Chicago, IL

Experience: Advanced
Thanks Given: 289
Thanks Received: 773

------------------
Hola Gary,

Monthly turn was in March '12.

I'll split the difference with you; I am hearing now that 1st target for CL {from larger swingtraders} is 88.00

Partial profit taking should begin in that area {if this continuing forecast(s)} continues to play out.

I wrote the following on May 4th; nothing changed my mind this week as CL sh*t into the end of the week within .50cents of the recent low.

"That monthly (long term) swing low above $95.00 could come into play in the next 10 trading days. Lower mid 90's would be something significant (s/r).

It is working so far. Swingtrading requires a different skill set than daytrading--I recommend it to round out one's
toolkit."
---------------------
Peace

Hedvig

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

researcher247 View Post
------------------
Hola Gary,

I'll split the difference with you; I am hearing now that 1st target for CL {from larger swingtraders} is 88.00

Partial profit taking should begin in that area {if this continuing forecast(s)} continues to play out.

I wrote the following on May 4th; nothing changed my mind this week as CL sh*t into the end of the week within .50cents of the recent low.

"That monthly (long term) swing low above $95.00 could come into play in the next 10 trading days. Lower mid 90's would be something significant (s/r).

It is working so far. Swingtrading requires a different skill set than daytrading--I recommend it to round out one's
toolkit."
---------------------
Peace

Hedvig

Your timing on topics is uncanny. I just moved money this week for a swing campaign. I have taken a few, but I am now allocating funds to strictly swings. Same account, different balance now, separated mentally. I expect to stake out zones, enter as a scalp, but hold for days to weeks. Monday will be day one of being in watch mode.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

researcher247 View Post
------------------
Hola Gary,

toolkit."
---------------------
Peace

Hedvig

Yes, I am watching for the 101-102 area swing low.

Started this thread
 greenr 
london/england

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra charts, NinjaTrader, VK Trader
Broker: CQG, AMP, VK, Kinetick
Trading: CL/6E/TF/ES
Thanks Given: 562
Thanks Received: 1,280

GaryD View Post
Yes, I am watching for the 101-102 area swing low.

I love how you analyze these markets, the way you use fibs and extensions crazy Gary :sos:

Very fascinating where did you learn this, through observation?

good work

" I will follow my rules, I will take my stops, I will be disciplined and i will work with the market....NOT AGAINST IT! Professional mind control is the key"
Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Still intrigued by this descending triangle. Buyers have tried over and over and cannot get any strength to the move up. The 96 area is/was a potential correction target for a return to the upside, and that is what I think is holding price here (that and the S&P, which makes no sense to me right now but not going to fight it).

I had 92-92.50 as a strong support earlier, but now have backed off some and re-colored a lesser strength. I still feel it is worthy of at least a bounce is price gets there, but not as convinced as I was a few days ago, and today seeing 87 as a new area of interest. I know @researcher247 mentioned 88, but I can't find anything from my abilities that doesn't start with an 87 in that region.

I added a resistance point around 99-50 - 100.00, felling like that 100 level will carry psychological S/R, and not sure what I think of it yet so the magenta color has no meaning to me other than "watch". A break above 100 would probably bring out some buying.

But if I had to take a trade today and close my eyes for the week, I would focus on that triangle, above or below. Buy 97.70 maybe, sell 95.20? Either end is looking a little tired. Sunday overnight could change it all though.

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts