NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 600,481 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Deucalion 
Calgary, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multiple
Broker: Multiple
Trading: Multiple

josh View Post
Boring is the most fitting word I can imagine. Profit or loss... volume was at the very low end of the last 20 trading days, range was okay, but the market was being manipulated in ways that one can only be observed by watching the tape the whole day. It was not well behaved, and it was not convincing, this move up. Profits could be made, and I had pretty good risk-adjusted returns, even shorting, though I could have done better.

"Why would a fool short on a day like today?" one might ask, looking at a stale, static, lifeless chart at the end of the day. It could be any number of things: inexperience, general foolishness, or maybe I'm just way early. I am not from "always buy if the market is above the 20ema" (or insert some other criteria here) school. Maybe one day I'll come to the conclusion that this is the most wise school to be in. But the bottom line is, the market was not a convincing buy all day long for me, except at the open, when I did buy and had a pretty good trade, and around lunch when I was closing out shorts and thus not prepared to switch to long mode yet. I am also not from the "patterns and geometry" school though I do respect the validity of those who use these methods. Your pesavento chart looks like gibberish to me, but it's only because I am not trained in this, nor do I wish to be. This type of analysis imposes a structure on the market which I believe the market has no interest in adhering to, and thus I believe has no logical basis. I cannot trade this way and will never be good at this kind of thing, because I do not believe in it. And at the end of the day, isn't belief in our own ability really the most important factor for any method of trading, for without belief, we will not execute?

I am afraid plenty of people believe these patterns work, including billion dollar hedge funds that used to employ Larry pesavento and his pattern recognition skills. I was interested in pointing out that even in dull markets (rangy conditions, which exist more often than trendy conditions), patterns are discernible.

This however, seems gibberish to you. I wasn't looking for an explanation of how you trade, why you trade or your beliefs, but simply if you observed anything in that chart. Your response is odd. Pesavento patterns are merely Fib numbers and their factors and ratios graphically tied together, nothing more. I am not looking for your judgement, but your participation or your input. I was mistaken.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

researcher247 
Chicago, IL

Experience: Advanced
Thanks Given: 289
Thanks Received: 773

Pesavanto #'s/lines lag and are shown after the fact; of that we can all agree.

Hola Josh! This is a pretty good thread and so is the 'spoo' thread.

Was it in this thread someone wrote Ensign is good?

Sierra Charts are great and rock-solid stable as well.

NT gets better every year and is nothing like Tradestation was back in the day (I am NOT a programmer).

I learned how to swingtrade 3 decades ago with line & graph paper; I'll take today's software any 'ol day.

Looking for some more volatility today in CL. I wonder when 'cleanse' boy will be around today trading from his hotel room!

peace

hedvig

Thanked by:

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

GaryD View Post

First line resistance for CL should be found around 85.30 - 85.80, although it could take an overlapping path to get there, if it does. But I am anticipating a break above the high overnight.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I have no meetings, slept in this morning until 8am, which is very unusual for me. Th cleanse I am taking has me feeling off.

I am not really completely awake for the CL open, and EIA is today, so going to have a slow start.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Missed it.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Now I am not sure. Near term support may be around 84.60... going to see what 9:30am brings.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I was in a 3 contract short, but staggered in, then staggered back out for net -3

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

VERY happy I staggered out.

I was short around 85.10 - 85.20. It gave me just enough of a move back to start exitting in a controlled manner. Stop was around 85.45, above the highest black bar

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

86.40 and 87.00 are what I am watching. CL trying to poke it's head above resistance

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I just lost all minute based historical data. Tried reconnecting, nothing. I can use futures.io (formerly BMT) chart images for reference I guess...Not sure, that may put me out.

Started this thread

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts