NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one GaryD with 3,654 posts (2,215 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 135 posts (120 thanks)
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 123 posts (170 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 112 posts (228 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Deucalion with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 researcher247 with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 GaryD with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 597,366 views
    2. thumb_up 3,683 thanks given
    3. group 141 followers
    1. forum 4,686 posts
    2. attach_file 1,117 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

Catching Big Waves - a trader's journal of surfing the the markets

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

Experience: None
Platform: shoes
Trading: happy

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/kx75kp.jpg[/img]

This could change at any moment, but where my head is right now. The trigger area will be the LSP.

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
65 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
42 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
25 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
The Program
21 thanks

Deucalion 
Calgary, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multiple
Broker: Multiple
Trading: Multiple

Once that high of 107.27 was not broken, I had a good idea, more downside was needed. I was -29ticks on full size before the DOE report (stupid).

But a good +30tick initial long at 105.40 (break of the previous daily) made up for the loss. And then came my favourite trade....an extension to W5 (this IMO is representative of the market in pain). Once 105 was broken co-incident with typical W5, that was my cue for an aggressive long (much bigger size) for +60ticks. A move like that...even once a month makes it worthwhile...and so it is. Now, that -29t seems pish posh. As I trade more, it not the ability to just make my daily bread that's the aim. It is the opportunites to lever UP when others are in pain. That for me is the grail (no matter how infrequently they happen, 2 - 3 times a month is enough to change the whole month, or even the whole year)

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/nebsc5.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

closed +17. Still would prefer a lower entry, but may have to regroup. I left the original order in place and took that as a scalp based on the catch at the DC, and could be too interested in lower numbers to catch anything more significant today. Crude has bee wild in it's swings, and I have no goal today other than net +.

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/6qrmyk.jpg[/img]

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/rh7zu4.jpg[/img] one off

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/ne7xuy.jpg[/img]

Took one off at +20, a 2nd at +23

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

[img]https://nexusfi.com/v/pv84ef.jpg[/img]

closed 3rd +41 done

Started this thread

GaryD 
Orlando, Florida

I can breath normally again.

One thing I have seen in muself, if I really pay attention, is when the stakes get higher my breathing changes. That is not something I like or believe is good.

I switched gears when the bottom tested several times and could not fall. Shorts were trapped, and with price having hit a major support area and then coming out of it so hard and fast, it seemed chances were good there would be a short covering run after the "trend" earlier was so obviously down. New shorts were hitting the top of the channel, most likely thinking that would be a great place to enter and have a tight stop, and those order just kep building up over the past hour or two.

Summary:

-11 long
+34 short
+17 long
+20 long
+23 long
+41 long

Net +124

I wish I had the courage to take the long when it hit support with the 5500 contracts, and I was ready to go in on a retest, but the reversal was swift and hardly looked back. I just sat for an hour +/- wishing I would have bought at the top end of support, but spike bottoms are tough and I do not like to freight train.

Started this thread

Deucalion 
Calgary, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multiple
Broker: Multiple
Trading: Multiple

GaryD View Post
........I wish I had the courage to take the long...............I just sat for an hour +/- wishing I would have bought at the top end of support, but spike bottoms are tough and I do not like to freight train.....................

Don't do it. You already have the skill and the ability. I sat around looking at other traders...seeing how they were making more ticks than me....and I started messing with myself....that messed my head...I was taking chances that were not intrinsic to me......A tiger will not hunt like a lion, or a cheetah or an eagle....."

The importance of this is slowly dawning upon me....I look at my record over the past 3years (it pays to trade as myself) no matter how slow and un-skilled that maybe be. I can't emulate others...either I don't have that skill or the time is not right.....There are plenty of skilled traders here....what makes me tickle is that...I can make a good living by being my imperfect self...The road to an illusion is a nasty slide to self destruction.....self destruction is my worst enemy....Dr B has said that over and over again.......

Closed Thread

Last Updated on May 23, 2014

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts